FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
William_Bent 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#355662 - 11/27/07 06:08 AM Re: serious question - bulletproof Iron Vest train [Re: Stormdragon]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
There are sooooo many variables to consider...
range, barrel length, muzzle velocity, caliber, wind shear, load, ammo type - jacketed/non-jacketed, etc. etc.

Even a .22, in the right circumstances, can put a hole thru bone... so unless your skin and flesh is harder than bone, I wouldn't suggest trying it.

And if you're thinking of trying BB guns, DON'T. BB pellets at close range can be just as lethal. Rubber pellets used by prison guards and riot police have been known to kill. It doesn't have to penetrate flesh to cause damage.

As for armour piercing, dum dums, and hollow points... let's not even go there.

The only way your Iron Shirt will work is if I THROW the bullets at you.

#355663 - 11/27/07 06:37 AM Re: serious question - bulletproof Iron Vest train [Re: eyrie]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Every weapon I have, carry, or shoot will blow a hole completely through you... and unless you're depending on kevlar body armor, I wouldn't advise being on the wrong side of the gun at any point. Sure, there are anomolies of anything like bullets hitting the bone and skimming under the skin, but I don't think I'd depend on that kind of luck against firearms.

I shoot modern firearms with hot loads which are matched for both accuracy and self-defense, and I practice regularly at the range in the combat mode. You'd have to be luckier than a $hithouse rat to survive with a kevlar vest much less without one. Standard "combat" shooting puts two in the chest, two in the head.

It's a little tough to train against that... JMHO...

#355664 - 11/27/07 10:23 AM Re: serious question - bulletproof Iron Vest train [Re: wristtwister]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
I didn't say TRY it. Sheesh. Just stating observations.Wrist you're insane!
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#355665 - 11/27/07 06:03 PM Re: serious question - bulletproof Iron Vest train [Re: Stormdragon]
wristtwister Offline

Me?... YOU posted
Quote:

All jokes aside though, I've heard of one case where a guy got shot in the gut and lived, where the bullet didn't fully pierce his muscles. I believe it was Cleveland "Big Cat" Williams or someone who was shot with a .357 round by a State Trooper and had strong enough stomach muscles to stop it somewhat but it screwed him up pretty good. I just read about it in a book on boxing for self defense so who knows how much truth there is to the story. Anyone else hear of that?

Quote:

I had no idea whether it was true or not just an ancedotal possibility

I was just giving you a "real world scenario"... not advocating anything. People who stand in front of guns when they're fired get neat little round holes in them... some die, some survive... but I don't know of a single instance where the bullets bounced off. Even the kevlar vest doesn't stop the force penetration, only dissipates the penetration of the bullet and spreads the force over a larger surface area. It still knocks the crap out of you, and can damage internal organs. I don't know of anything other than .25 caliber and .32 caliber bullets that have "skimmed" the skull without killing the person hit in head shots. Even a .22 (which has better ballistics than either of those mentioned) will drop you like a stone.

The only cure for a gunfight is "superior firepower"... not iron shirt training. Spend some of that Quigong time learning to shoot fast, straight and center-mass.

#355666 - 11/27/07 06:26 PM Re: serious question - bulletproof Iron Vest train [Re: wristtwister]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

I was completely kidding about the insane part hence the smiley, and I definitely didn't say those roudns will bounce of flesh, just that the more musculature the slow the bullet will travel though it WILL NOT be slowed much.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#355667 - 11/27/07 08:05 PM Re: serious question - bulletproof Iron Vest train [Re: Stormdragon]
wristtwister Offline

Completely understood... that's why I phrased things like I did in the reply... i.e., "neat little round holes"...

You have to be careful when you post things like that, because there are people who have the superman complex and are stupid enough to try it. Wendy Bagwell used to tell people that when he was a kid, somebody gave him a superman cape, and he believed that he could fly... so he jumped off the garage and broke his leg. Nobody told him that he had to have the pants and body shirt to match...

#355668 - 11/27/07 08:47 PM Re: serious question - bulletproof Iron Vest train [Re: wristtwister]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Hahahahahahahaha "No one told him he had to have the pants and body shirt to match" and don't forget tighty REDDIES on the OUTSIDE! Buahahahaha

#355669 - 02/20/08 08:41 PM Re: serious question - bulletproof Iron Vest training? [Re: VietPanda]
Sigma37 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Quote:

OK this is a serious question, just out of curiosity - is it actually possible to be able to resist a shot from the weakest gun available these days through Iron Vest training?

I read in 'ripleys believe it or not' that a guy who worked out heaps got shot, and the bullet didn't even penetrate his skin!

Please Read About The Boxer Rebellion! Many CMA Students Then Believed Iron-Shirt Training Would Render Bullets From Causing Harm Only To Be Shot Down In Droves By Western Forces.

Edited by Sigma37 (02/20/08 08:44 PM)

#355670 - 02/20/08 09:04 PM Re: serious question - bulletproof Iron Vest train [Re: Gavin]
sopredictable Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Quote:

This is an Iron Shirt demo from a UK lady called Joanna Zorya...much more use to Martial Artists than most of the crap posted:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4HdqtIsf-dI

Yes, but does it keep the bullets away???

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga