FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 28 of 32 < 1 2 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 >
Topic Options
#354376 - 09/14/07 05:13 PM Re: Tegumi-related [Re: jude33]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
'hey Jude'

thanks for your comments, my job is simply to try and keep things within forum rules,

often when strong personalities (and in this case some very expeirenced karateka) have different opinions things flare up, and people let themselves and the forum down.

we are not at that point yet but the signs are showing......hence my reminders.

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

#354377 - 09/15/07 01:29 AM Re: Tegumi-related [Re: shoshinkan]
Koryu Uchinadi Offline
Tanmei

Loc: Brisbane Australia
Ed -

Hi, I'm back...been a busy day here in Middle Earth.

Personally I am not particularly big on all the interference --- like you, I like to say what I mean and I'd like to say it without sideline warnings of being shut down. If you want to take the dialogue private just let me know here bujin@koryu-uchinadi.com

We're both experienced learners with varying POV on the same issues -- I am surprised some here would be in favour of desolving the dialogue --- I am enjoying it. You?

Where were we?

Patrick McCarthy
Hanshi 8th Dan
International Ryukyu Karate Research Society
www.koryu-uchinadi.com
A link to the past is your bridge to the future
Life isn't about finding yourself -- it's about creating yourself. - GBS

#354378 - 09/15/07 02:01 AM Re: Tegumi-related [Re: Koryu Uchinadi]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Hi again Patrick. ah, New Zealand ...I picture it as paradise. I absolutely will go there someday.

about the topic...I think you had it right - it's been beaten to death. I'm pretty much all set with questions about this topic, unless you have any I could try to help you with.

what would be cool is if you had any info about the native fighting arts of New Zealand....but thats a new topic I suppose.

anyway, please, you choose a topic - start a new thread or continue this if you wish. either would be interesting. My suggestion is something that is separate from your self-interest. and I don't mean that in a derrogitory way, I mean it as everyone needs a reality check now and then - including you.

btw, there was alot of feedback from this thread, more than few PM'ing saying they got alot out of it and an interesting read from both sides of the argument.

#354379 - 09/15/07 05:42 AM Re: Tegumi-related [Re: Koryu Uchinadi]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Morning McCarthy Sensei,

don't feel the comments were aimed at you, and I would prefer not to have to make them,

it was general reminders as some others were verging on personal attacks which would cause a great thread to be closed.

This is a public forum, hence relativly tight control is need on such things.

Glad you had some input, don't be a stranger to FA.com, see you soon in a dojo somewhere.

#354380 - 09/15/07 11:17 AM Re: Is Karate less effective because it covers too [Re: Unyu]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
Unyu Bryan,

Just a small point, I haven't banned anyone for I'm no longer a moderator on this site and haven't been one for years.

#354381 - 09/15/07 02:50 PM Re: Is Karate less effective because it covers too [Re: Victor Smith]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Unyu,
ahem.....the banning? that would be me. Personally I enjoy having you around. You are kind of like an uncle that says things your dad won't say to you even though he may be thinking the same thing himself. When you reappeared recently I spoke with the other mods and asked If they would prefer I pulled your plug or not,that is, based on your history here. They were quite a gracious lot and agreed to allow you to remain, at least until the inevitable "Spittin' of da trouff"

#354382 - 09/16/07 02:00 AM Re: Tegumi-related [Re: Ed_Morris]
Koryu Uchinadi Offline
Tanmei

Ed -

EM: Hi again Patrick. ah, New Zealand ...I picture it as paradise. I absolutely will go there someday.

PM: If you don’t you’re missing one of the most beautiful places anywhere on the planet… it’s absolutely spectacular, especially Queenstown.

EM: about the topic...I think you had it right - it's been beaten to death. I'm pretty much all set with questions about this topic, unless you have any I could try to help you with.

PM: Well, if you’re comfortable with knowing that the term “Tegumi” [‘grappling hands’] is --- in addition to being known as Okinawa’s original form of grappling--- is also the term “I” personally chose to represent a collective body of old-school two-person [kote kitae, kakei, muchimi-di, etc.] drills that I systematized into a cohesive study, I have nothing else to say on the matter. I am not personally interested in arguing semantics.

EM: what would be cool is if you had any info about the native fighting arts of New Zealand....but thats a new topic I suppose.

PM: Hmm, that’s an issue which might be better discussed by our former NZ-shibucho, Henare Heta---a full-blood Maori chieftain from Whangari; I wouldn’t feel comfortable pretending to know much about their warrior arts.

EM: anyway, please, you choose a topic - start a new thread or continue this if you wish. either would be interesting. My suggestion is something that is separate from your self-interest. and I don't mean that in a derrogitory way, I mean it as everyone needs a reality check now and then - including you.

PM: Hmm, okay…well, I tend to get reality checks quite frequently from my teenager/university-level children, who tend to push the envelop as far as they can. Alternatively, I rode shotgun with one of my students [a police lieutenant in charge of night shift---11pm-7am, in Camden, NJ; the most dangerous city in the USA up until earlier this year] a few weeks ago. With two homicides, several shootings, and a shitload of violent crimes, I wonder if this might qualify?

EM: btw, there was alot of feedback from this thread, more than few PM'ing saying they got alot out of it and an interesting read from both sides of the argument.

PM: Okay, without trying to make a shameless plug [yeah, sure…..] to visit my website --- perhaps I could encourage subscribers here to visit my website and read these pages to generate some dialogue;

http://www.koryu-uchinadi.org/KU_HAPV.pdf
http://koryu-uchinadi.com/what_ru_learning.htm
http://koryu-uchinadi.com/old-style_karate.htm
http://koryu-uchinadi.com/original_five_fighting_arts.htm
http://www.koryu-uchinadi.com/Koryu%20Uchinadi.htm
http://www.koryu-uchinadi.com/ku_core_practices.htm
http://koryu-uchinadi.com/true_legacy_of_karate.htm

Otherwise...thanks for the dialogue

Patrick McCarthy
Hanshi 8th Dan
www.koryu-uchinadi.com

#354383 - 09/16/07 02:16 AM Re: Tegumi-related [Re: shoshinkan]
Koryu Uchinadi Offline
Tanmei

Jim san,

I didn’t see anything that was even remotely similar to the reprehensible dialogue witnessed on Henry Norris’ list, Karate-Budo.com and wondered about your caveat. To me it didn’t make sense. Isn’t everyone entitled to their say irrespective of how hot it gets? We’re all adults here and surely a little sarcasm, criticism and cynicism is a far cry healthier than the venomous diatribe spewed by the likes of faultless critic and “all-knowing expert” Gene Williams, or his pal, E-Thug/legend in his own mind, Robby Rousselot.

Patrick McCarthy
Hanshi 8th Dan
www.koryu-uchinadi.com

#354384 - 09/16/07 03:44 AM Re: Tegumi-related [Re: Koryu Uchinadi]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

McCarthy Sensei,

of course this place is nothing like many other forums (particulary THAT forum), mainly due to the relativly tight moderation that is in place that keeps things in line.

Please be aware that we are not all adults here, and the public have full acess to the site, hence our need to be a little more careful than perhaps all our members would like (but as per the forum rules), however my comments were not aimed at you anyhow.

the pm function is a good thing eh......

a little edgy stuff is always good, I will remind people when they might be begining to tip over the edge, it gives them an oppertunity to check themselves and for the situation not to esculate.

and please be aware, I am a very big fish in this very small pond, and I like the power...... LOL LOL

#354385 - 09/19/07 12:23 PM Re: Is Karate less effective because it covers too [Re: Ed_Morris]
Unyu Offline
Banned Member

Loc: Where I'm At
I like the discussion. There are some things that I have noticed. First off having a little bit of knowledge or a lot of knowledge in wrestling (freestyle or otherwise) meant very little as far as winning the first few UFCs was concerned. Ken Shamrock was a very skilled pancrase/shooto guy and he still got submitted by a much smaller and weaker GJJ guy. It wasn't until the wrestlers started cross training in submissions, specifically GJJ, that they had a chance to fight Royce to a stalemate.

So having wrestling as a background definitely is a plus, but a submission grappler it does not make. This is why the use of g-n-p is still a staple of the greco and freestyle cats. Before the wrestlers trained in striking they could "ground", but their "pound" looked haggard and awkward at best. No real form so diminished function. They finally perfected the oldest playground move in the book. I take that back. Until they figure out that their so-called hammerfists leave something to be desired and shows how much they really don't know about real punching and striking, they will be accomplished journeyman streetfighters at best.

All that aside whatever it is that you get out of karate, you probably would be better served to go and learn one of the combat sports before joining most dojo, if you want to learn basic functional fighting. Karate is a very lengthy process meant to retain students rather that impart real world fighting ability. Now I am speaking of the rule not the exception. I learned to fight fairly well after onnly 6 months of training in Shorinkan. I was already a good football player and basketballer, started in Judo at a very young age and began boxing when I was 10. I had fought in every school I had attended, due to the fact that being a military brat I had to prove my toughness over and over. ~Every 2 yrs. my pops was stationed somewhere different, so use your imagination. Always the outsider, at least at first.

BTW Oldman, I never would have pegged you as a control freak or someone that smiles in a dudes face then stabs your boy in the back. Like I always say, don't trust the Cheshire Cat types who base their lives on being nice in person, but who hate your arse when you leave the premises. I take back anything nice I've said about your style or who I thought you were. Let's just keep it real. BTW it's "TROOF", not "TROUF". Sorry if I have a habit of telling it in a frank manner. If you want patent, dull conversation from a lot of folks who wish they knew karate you ban someone like me. If you want some spice and alternate knowledge, you let guys like me speak the troof. What about the 1st Amendment Capt. America? Dowhatchalike...

Page 28 of 32 < 1 2 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga