FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 3
AndyLA 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35581 Topics
432508 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 20 of 32 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 31 32 >
Topic Options
#354296 - 09/12/07 04:47 PM Re: Tegumi-related [Re: medulanet]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

what if there is no evidence that S. Nagamine actually wrote anything about Tegumi?
He doesn't mention tegumi his whole life, then after his death in 2000, suddenly we see a chapter devoted to it? I'm thinking: show me the 1986 Japanese version of the book first before I unconditionally believe that one.

The timing of GJJ/BJJ. The timing of an admittedly resurected and defunct term of a dead practice in order to name compiled grappling drills. The timing of Nagamine suddenly having alot to say on the subject of tegumi, after his death. The need for Karateka to have history as oppossed to crosstraining.

Tegumi: the term and Nagamine's words, were raised from the dead to first create a 'movement' then create a product which was popular for the grappling times, while at the same time making it palateable for the traditionalists by not calling it crosstraining and instead establishing it's history thru (perhaps) liberal translation of Nagamine's estate. Then all the subsequent unchallenged references to the book, branching out from there.

A couple things about us Karateka: we like to believe at one time, 'it was all there'. That way we can keep pride with the newcomers on the block like MMA's. heck back when Judo was popular, it sounds like Karateka were crosstraining that as well. Now we are comfortable with saying the sportive judo throws 'were always there'. not quite. Some throws similar to Judo's illegal throws can be found in kata. but the tactic is quite different - it's not who falls first, but who falls hardest. When's the last time you saw a Judoka purposely train aiming a throw so the opponent slams into a wall upside down on their neck? before that, Te crosstrained with CMA's.

Thats what karate has been, an ever-changing, ever-crosstrained art... based on the contemporary trends and needs at the time. Which again is great, but just don't try to sell me that a Karate version of GJJ is an ancient lost secret Ryukyuan Art. sounds rediculously dumb. If it was 'always there' then it was never lost...if it was 'secret' then it wouldn't be a DVD on amazon.com for $49.95.

hasn't karate as an Art grown up enough and comfortable enough with itself that it's practitioners can say without shyness that they crosstrain in a grappling Art like JJ without having to feel the need to cover it with a historical term? alternatively, why wouldn't people feel just as comfortable NOT including groundfighting if they choose a different strategy for the Art's interpretation?

The irony of the position is people developing the most modern systems of Karate today via crosstraining, while trying to use the oldest sounding names and establishing links to the past in hopes of veiling the direct links to the present influences. enough is enough.

am I delusional? am I outta-line?

#354297 - 09/12/07 04:56 PM Re: Tegumi-related [Re: MattJ]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA
See Matt, that's just it. You are assuming that the study of karate did not include grappling skills. Does karate include weight lifting, Nagamine's does. I think the problem is most people just don't believe that karate includes things they were not specifically taught by their instructors.

#354298 - 09/12/07 05:06 PM Re: Tegumi-related [Re: Ed_Morris]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Ed, the fact remains that I saw the grappling applicatons in kata when I was 14 in 1990 and used them as well. I'm sorry I wasn't old enough to write a book about it and I'm also sorry that MMA in the US just happened to begin right when the internet blew up. I wonder if the internet was around long before MMA if this information would have gottten out sooner rather than later. However, these are all things I can't do anything about. So either you found out the greatest con of okinawa and uncovered a secret plot developed by Patrick McCarthy and every other okinawan karateka who 20-35 years before the first UFC got joint locked and choked out in a small dojo in okinawa with no fan fare, no cameras, and no pay-per-view or you might actually be wrong and something exists in the world of karate that you and your instructors never knew. It, however, is interesting that it seems no one believes that old style karate had many supplementary exercises both formal and informal which directly related to one's ability to apply techniques from kata and kihon.

#354299 - 09/12/07 05:08 PM Re: Tegumi-related [Re: medulanet]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

doubt what Nagamine writes about his experiences, as well as the research of his most senior student, Jokei Kushi.

nope. I believe as you do on that. you are redefining what I am skeptical of.

I'm not skeptical of Nagamine - I'm skeptical of the 'translation'. hence my questions to Mr. McCarthy.

I'm not skeptical that Nagaime had a Sumo/Judo friend. but a link to karate is not mentioned from his friend's research.

#354300 - 09/12/07 05:09 PM Re: Tegumi-related [Re: medulanet]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

See Matt, that's just it. You are assuming that the study of karate did not include grappling skills. Does karate include weight lifting, Nagamine's does. I think the problem is most people just don't believe that karate includes things they were not specifically taught by their instructors

No sir. Well, I guess you can call it "assuming" if you mean that the weight of historical evidence seems to be that karate was developed independantly of grappling traditions of the time. I also find it amusing that I am apparently the only one "assuming" things about the nature of grappling in karate. You were there, I "assume"?

Again, again, if you are making the argument that many karate masters cross-trained, I could agree with that. But that is not the same argument.

#354301 - 09/12/07 05:10 PM Re: Tegumi-related [Re: medulanet]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

It, however, is interesting that it seems no one believes that old style karate had many supplementary exercises both formal and informal which directly related to one's ability to apply techniques from kata and kihon.

you are changing the argument again. I believe your above quote exactly.

#354302 - 09/12/07 05:36 PM Re: Tegumi-related [Re: medulanet]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
Med though you made a solid point that it did exist. What some may remember is your reference that YOUR system has the secret techniques taught by the few and taught to the fewer, in refernce to grappling.

Only to find that you have cross trained to mend the missing fence poles like everyone else. And though Nagamine had knowledge of grappling as did most Karate founders he didn't include it in his teachning. If so you wouldn't not have had to use your college wrestling skills to mend fence holes in his system.

I admit that I Xtrained in wrestling, Judo, Silat, Jujitsu and a little Aikido to mend my missing gaps, but me doing that didn't make your Karate any less or mines. I think this is were we differ, you use to spout this. I can't find your exact post stating that, but I'm sure the Engineer can.

#354303 - 09/12/07 05:37 PM Re: Tegumi-related [Re: MattJ]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Matt, did you not read my post regarding an assertion in Nagamine's book Tales of Okinawa's Great Masters that Te, the precursor to karate was a combination of tegumi grappling, striking, and kicking? So there is evidence published by one of the most famous okinawan karate researchers that grappling and karate did not develop independently. Maybe that means nothing for AKK, but it means alot for Matsubayashi.

#354304 - 09/12/07 05:46 PM Re: Tegumi-related [Re: medulanet]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Med, did you not read Ed Morris' post here:

Quote:

what if there is no evidence that S. Nagamine actually wrote anything about Tegumi?
He doesn't mention tegumi his whole life, then after his death in 2000, suddenly we see a chapter devoted to it? I'm thinking: show me the 1986 Japanese version of the book first before I unconditionally believe that one.

One source does not always a history make, in any case.

#354305 - 09/12/07 06:02 PM Re: Tegumi-related [Re: MattJ]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Read it, I know the history. In Matsubayashi that is 50% of the history. Nagamine wrote two books.

Page 20 of 32 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 31 32 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga