FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
ergees 1
swordy 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#354033 - 08/04/07 08:03 AM Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH [Re: medulanet]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Quote:

For the best training move to Vegas and train at Xtreme Couture. If that is not an option learn bjj/submission grappling from a wrestling perspective, which will teach you to not pull guard, but grapple to gain a dominant position either on top or on their feet and punch your opponent in the face.

EXCELLENT advice! This is exactly the way I believe that folks should be training. This is the approach that I believe in and have used for years.

I see the guard being used a LOT in gi-style jiu-jitsu in an almost flamboyant manner. Thats only natural when you consider how many handles you have to hold onto with material designed not to rip. It fosters a notion of security when playing guard and is the reason why so many BJJ guys fighting vale tudo would voluntarily pull it.

Gotta work for top, using the guard as an active defensive position, disengaging when at first possible.

Just thought I'd throw my own two cents in.

-John

#354034 - 08/07/07 04:05 AM Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH [Re: JKogas]
JimmySmith Offline

Loc: Australia
I don't exactly see how the guy was a Kung Fu expert. The BJJ fighter looked more convincing at kicking than the Kung Fu guy, who not only sent out nice slow kicks that were checked, didn't use his hands at all, had an oddly long stance and delivered the lamest attempt at an elbow in the history of mankind. Not exactly what I would say a conclusive video, only showed how a BJJ could tackle and then whup the lamers butt

#354035 - 08/07/07 06:42 AM Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH [Re: JimmySmith]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Part of the problem Jimmy is that when dealing with a KNOWN grappler, people will often change their delivery dramatically.

Imagine a boxer fighting a person who he knew was a boxer and another whom he knew to be a grappler.

Don't you think you might see a change in his approach regarding each one? Wouldn't he probably appear to look much different with his overall structure against the grappler? Just some food for thought.

-John

#354036 - 08/10/07 11:40 PM Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH VID [Re: VietPanda]
Morpheus Offline
Stranger

Loc: New York
What was that?

#354037 - 08/11/07 05:05 AM Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH [Re: Morpheus]
VietPanda Offline

Awesome! I found two videos I found quite interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDnnmENhJp4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTIrehTIGOA

Enjoy!

#354038 - 08/18/07 01:27 AM Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH [Re: VietPanda]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
go learn some grappling and then come back next time
Those Shamrock clips are great
I like how he breaks down the movements so that he/you can really understand whats going on

#354039 - 08/18/07 03:41 AM Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH VID [Re: VietPanda]
Alabama_Samurai Offline

First of all, that's Royce Gracie. Not many martial artists can beat him anyway. Also, Royce Gracie is not a very aggressive fighter. He's excellent at strategy. He looks for you to make a mistake and when you do he takes you to his world. About the only thing I can think of that this gung fu guy could have done to stand a chance would be to make it appear as if he's making an opening in order to draw Royce into a position where he can land a hard knee to his chest or face. But, like I said, that's Royce Gracie. Very few men could beat him anway.

And that comment about it being almost impossible for someone trained in only striking to not being taking down by a practitioner of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu isn't entirely true. Not all BJJ practitioners have much experience.

I believe in being prepared. I believe that ground fighting is a very important part of figting. Do I believe the saying that most fights go to the ground? YES and NO. Most of the fights I have seen start with pushing, then an exchanging of blows, and then sometimes it ends up on the ground. Most people in real situations don't immediately try to take you to the ground. So, I don't believe that groundfighting is THE most important part of fighting. But, I'm not going to deny it's importance, nor it's effectiveness in disabling your opponent of his ability to hit you. It's sort of like a kingsnake taking on a much larger snake. The kingsnake will immobilise the other snake and then make the kill. Of course a kingsnake would probably be killed by a kingcobra. So the kingsnake's way isn't the only way. A kingcobra will evade and then strike. Even mongooses have a hard time with them. They often end up dead. And in case some of you are wondering, kingsnakes are NOT immune to venom. They merely have a tolerance and venom from non-North American snakes might be beyond their tolerance. Oh, and the last part about the venom has no symbolism. Only the part about the kingsnake "grappling".

Ok, I probably rambled on in this post, but I've got a mad case of insomnia. So, bare with me here.

#354040 - 08/19/07 03:13 AM Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH [Re: Alabama_Samurai]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

someones been up watching too much animal planet

#354041 - 08/19/07 03:16 AM Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH [Re: IExcalibui2]
Alabama_Samurai Offline

Quote:

someones been up watching too much animal planet

Don't tell me you can't see the symbolism between a kingsnake and a practitioner of BJJ. lol

I tend to use metaphors quite often.

#354042 - 08/19/07 06:53 PM Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH [Re: Alabama_Samurai]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

hahaha I see, I've just never seen anyone go so far into the animal metaphor to describe their habitat and teeth brushing habits. anyway, off topic.

bottom line, if you get a run in with a grappler, try to stay on your feet and I would say no closer than clinch range (most MA out there have some kind of techniques where you are able to grab the guy and such). If you can get the grappler to play your striking game then, you're fine.

Once you hit the ground...well lets hope you can land a lucky strike that can disable him before he does anything. That or get your butt whipped and then go and learn yourself some grappling techniques to keep it from happening.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga