FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 10
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 4
cxt 3
ergees 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432473 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#354023 - 08/03/07 03:43 PM Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH VID [Re: JMWcorwin]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA
Quote:

Quote:

If you understand the basics and can develop good skill in grappling you can defeat a superior grappler with effective striking and positioning.

Exactly.

But your explanations still all revolve around learning grappling. That's all I was trying to say. If you don't have at least an understanding of the techniques, you don't stand much chance in that scenario.

But sprawling IS grappling. So if you learn to sprawl you are learning to grapple. And that is my point. To defeat a grappler you must have some knowledge of grappling, and this comes from learning grappling. The bottom line is that if you are a striker and you don't know how to grapple at all you will be in for a long day, period.

#354024 - 08/03/07 03:44 PM Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH VID [Re: medulanet]
JMWcorwin Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SoCal, USA
Right.

What did I say that didn't match that?

#354025 - 08/03/07 04:04 PM Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH VID [Re: JMWcorwin]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

The thing that didn't match was your implication that a sprawl and brawl striker is a "true stand up fighter" and one should not have to learn grappling to be an effective stand up fighter.

Quote:

Exactly.

But your explanations still all revolve around learning grappling. That's all I was trying to say. If you don't have at least an understanding of the techniques, you don't stand much chance in that scenario.

I don't remember exactly the guy's name, but there was an ex-pro boxer, Frank something, who fought one of Ruas' guys in an early UFC. He brutally beat this guy down with good sprawling and knee/elbow strikes when the BJJ guy would shoot. Lots of blood. He never submitted, but they did stop it because of the amounts of blood and where it was coming from. That's the perfect example of a true stand up fighter beating a BJJ fighter..... Don't let it go to the ground. Easier said than done though.

*sorry I don't remember the fighters' names,,, brain on slow mo this morning.

Then I pointed out that sprawling is wrestling and a striker must learn such grappling skills to be effective against a grappler. And then you said "Right." So at first you disagreed with me, then agreed, and then disagreed again all in one statement. And now you are agreeing. Am I missing something, are we talking about the same thing, or are you disagreeing with anything I have posted in this thread?

#354026 - 08/03/07 04:10 PM Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH VID [Re: medulanet]
JMWcorwin Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SoCal, USA
Nah,

Didn't mean to imply that. I was just trying to give an example of a stand up fighter with a good understanding of grappling technique/defense to illustrate my statement of

"But your explanations still all revolve around learning grappling. That's all I was trying to say. If you don't have at least an understanding of the techniques, you don't stand much chance in that scenario."

#354027 - 08/03/07 04:22 PM Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH VID [Re: JMWcorwin]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Okay, I get it now.

#354028 - 08/03/07 08:51 PM Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH [Re: Usenthemighty]
Shonuff Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: London, UK
Usen

What precisely one does depends entirely on what is happening. In meds vid of cro cop kneeing the guy, he escapes several attempts at takedown before the knee. I would suggest hitting the guy before he regains his balance. Also one can use strikes to keep a grappler on the back foot. There's lots of stuff but its all very situational and no none of it is simple.

Personally I'm not sure about the idea that that any control/manipulation knowledge should be classed as wrestling. It is only the rules of modern sports like boxing that seperated the ways of holding and disturbing balance/weight from striking.

#354029 - 08/03/07 09:34 PM Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH [Re: Shonuff]
Gothrocker Offline

Wouldnt keeping distance from a BJJ fighter work? Once they get close in the can get you in an underhook, take u down, sweep u, whatever. But if u kept ur distance, with say, kicks or striking if u hold the reach advantage, would that've worked?

#354030 - 08/03/07 09:40 PM Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH [Re: Gothrocker]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Quote:

Wouldnt keeping distance from a BJJ fighter work?

Quote:

..But if u kept ur distance, with say, kicks or striking if u hold the reach advantage, would that've worked?

Like on the other side of the street? Sure that would work! Kind of like Hommick vs. Gurgel - don't engage and just stay away from them, working pot-shots. You'll stay safe that way for certain.

Unless they can play the same game. Then you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

-John

#354031 - 08/04/07 02:12 AM Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH [Re: medulanet]
VietPanda Offline

First of all, I thank you all very, very much for the thoughtful replies!

Secondly, regarding this:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Avoiding being taken down can be done purely with close striking methods

Such as what? Besides kneeing the exact time they shoot in striking does noting. It at least does noting to me and my training buddies when we double leg take down. Plus when Royce changed levels that was the time he had to sprawl and clinch up. Jason Delucia is 33-20-1 thats an ok record. I mean its not like 22-2-0 Rich Franklin(my favorite fighter), but he's ok.

Usen, maybe you should join Crocop's School of Fighting. His method of knee striking a wrestler shooting in is very effective.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=...h&plindex=0

That was an amazing video, I can clearly see how that knee was extremely destructive to the wrestler.
However, he did eventually end up grappling him.
Fortunately this fight was in the ring, in a real street fight, some people might even use 'dirty' tactics like biting or eye gouges once they grapple their opponent.
What could we do then?

Some people have mentioned learning some grappling techniques, so if I do, what art/technique should i learn/use?

Once again, thanks for the input!

#354032 - 08/04/07 03:03 AM Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH [Re: VietPanda]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

For the best training move to Vegas and train at Xtreme Couture. If that is not an option learn bjj/submission grappling from a wrestling perspective, which will teach you to not pull guard, but grapple to gain a dominant position either on top or on their feet and punch your opponent in the face.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga