Good info WarblyDoo.
To give everyone an idea of what they were using here's a link.http://www.coldsteel.com/91e.html
- Rattan (skin on) - best over all. The closer the nodes the better.
- Rattan (skin off) - these fall apart too fast
- Rattan (lacquered) - coating chips off with consistent contact leaving flakes all over the place.
- Ironwood (other natural hardwoods) - tend to be heavier and good for training to increase wrist/arm strength, but not so great for stick on stick.
- Plastic (like the cold steel ones) - a little heavy, seem very solid, do not like the way they feel during contact
- Plastic with Foam - tend to feel too light, and you get too much bouncy or springy action during stick on stick