FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 71 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Thomas_Kungfu, traa1, JohnRay50, nogibjjgear, Jrogers001
23250 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
traa1 1
liangxiaoyu123 1
Thomas_Kungfu 1
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
differences between shaolin and wing chun ?
by liangxiaoyu123
04/28/20 01:05 AM
Recent Posts
differences between shaolin and wing chun ?
by liangxiaoyu123
04/28/20 01:05 AM
Forum Stats
23250 Members
36 Forums
35704 Topics
432774 Posts

Max Online: 488 @ 01/23/20 01:55 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#353121 - 07/26/07 12:47 PM Re: Is JKD the Father of MMA??? [Re: jkdwarrior]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
well now are we talking about MMA competition or MMA methodology here??

MMA competition is just someone asking himself what a fight would be like if someone took a Boxer and a Wrestler and tossed them into a ring to fight (thus the term Mixed Martial Arts). Competition hasn't changed at all, because you can still pit a BJJ guy against a Karate guy and call it MMA competition, because thats what it is. So how is this different than Pankration?? I'm pretty sure back then people were specialized in something, whether it be wrestling or boxing. Especially with the Chinese Lei Tais, considering all the different Chinese MAs out there.

What the competitions gave rise to was MMA methodology of training, esentially making MMA itself a separate way to practice MA. To me, MMA methodology is pretty much the same as the JKD methods. Both deal with adaptation, fighting in all ranges, and using the methods and techniques that work best for you.

I'm pretty sure JKD didnt spring out of Lee's mind without something to inspire him and to influence him to properly formalize this ideas and thoughts into a philosophy. Like I said, San Shou is an aspect of JKD that Lee gets at when talking about having no form.

#353122 - 07/29/07 02:24 AM Re: Is JKD the Father of MMA??? [Re: Neko456]
Demonologist437 Offline

Loc: Hodunk, Illinios
There's a paragrapsh in "Jeet Kune Do: Commentaries..."
where the title od it said "It is not simply mixing martial arts".

In a video on youtube talking with Dan Inosanto, Guro Dan mentions who Bruce stressed to him not to simply take a little form here, a little from her,e but to extract the essence. Why take from this, why that? I mean, you COULD call it MMA, but that approach is more dissolving the styles oyu pulled things from, in my mind, and just taking that essential component that helps you along in your path.

#353123 - 07/29/07 10:31 AM Re: Is JKD the Father of MMA??? [Re: Demonologist437]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Demonologist -

MMA isn't just "mixing martial arts" either. Odd that the name IMPLIES that, but in truth, MMA isn't a disjointed collection of multiple arts. MMA is a mixing of RANGES more than it is arts.

As I have said before, arts don't really exist. Sure there are different methods of training. But when you think about it, there are really only different methods of training THE SAME THINGS.

There ARE only so many ways to hit, kick, grapple and hit joint locks. The mechanics of the human body are limited to a degree.

In the end, there is only ONE true "style" if you follow me (the human style). There are is an incredible amount of (allegedly) different ways of training it. MMA is simply a way of combining or mixing ranges. Nothing more, nothing less. Last time I looked, that was the same goal of many JKD practitioners.

-John

#353124 - 07/29/07 01:43 PM Re: Is JKD the Father of MMA??? [Re: jkdwarrior]
JAMJTX Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Fort Wayne, IN
the Samurai in general trained in MMA. They learned to use all sorts of weapons as well as the empty-handed technqiues.
As far as mixing various empty-hand arts, it has pretty much always been done. Some noteables:
Jigaro Kano, Judo founder, often sent students to study Aikido.
Shotokan founder Funakoshi trained in Judo.
Mochizuki of Yoseikan Aikibudo - Karate, Judo, Aikido
Shogo Kuniba, Kuniba Ryu: Karate, Judo, Aikido
Sato Kinbei who never established his own style but carried on several Chinese and Japanese traditions
Henry Okazaki, founder of Danzan Ryu combined Judo, Jujutsu, Karate and the Hawaii'n Lua.

#353125 - 07/29/07 03:02 PM Re: Is JKD the Father of MMA??? [Re: JAMJTX]
badeofblade Offline

I refer to myself as a JKD man for lack of a better term, and I find that one must be prepared for every range... In response to the comment about JKD guys not being great kickers as per usual, I'm the sort that finds my combat boots better weapons that my knives.
What I'm trying to say is, different people of different "arts" treat things the way they wish to (whether their art dictates it or not), whether it's benefecial or not, efficient or flashy.
Some try to mix efficiency and flashiness, to strive for grace, but most fail. Others like Lee have made their moves so streamlined, so effective, that they without any flashiness, are beautiful and graceful.
"mixing arts" is done in a way to be efficient, but it's lost on being a sport art.JKD is made for effectiveness, but MMA is for flashiness and ratings. Same concept, different interpretation.

#353126 - 07/29/07 06:55 PM Re: Is JKD the Father of MMA??? [Re: badeofblade]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

JKD is made for effectiveness, but MMA is for flashiness and ratings. Same concept, different interpretation.

Heh. This has got to be the first time I have seen MMA referred to as "flashy".

MMA is not just a sport. It is a training methodology. And "mixing arts" is far less efficient than training MMA style from the beginning - and I am a "style mixer".

#353127 - 07/30/07 12:59 PM Re: Is JKD the Father of MMA??? [Re: MattJ]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

haha yea I would say this is a rare post. Like Matt said, MMA is a training methodology. MMA competition is for ratings (I dont know about flashiness) but its the complete essense of MMA itself.

A lot of people seem to get a misunderstanding of what MMA is, just from the name it has. Just like Bruce Lee and JKD we can all agree that JKD isn't an art and it definitely doesnt look like anything, especially Bruce Lee. JKD is a philosophy and can be applied to your training and can look like whatever you want it to be because its going to be the way you fight.

MMA got its name from the sport, but from the sport came the training methodology. Its not just mixing martial arts (it is in the ring but not training). Like mentioned above, its a mixing of ranges being able to fight from every range possible (kick, punch, clinch, ground).

#353128 - 08/02/07 07:34 PM Re: Is JKD the Father of MMA??? [Re: IExcalibui2]
badeofblade Offline

I was referring to MMA as a sport... And I find brutality to be flashy. One using MMA as a training methodology *is* training with jeet kune do in a sense, their jeet kune do. But when you get into Pride or UFC, it's flashy the way that Gladiators were flashy.

#353129 - 08/02/07 10:07 PM Re: Is JKD the Father of MMA??? [Re: badeofblade]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

well MMA competition is made that way because they need to make money. But the exciting fights also result from good training and fighting skills. Otherwise you'll have 2 guys dance around the ring all night.

#353130 - 08/03/07 01:00 PM Re: Is JKD the Father of MMA??? [Re: badeofblade]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
bade -

Quote:

And I find brutality to be flashy.

Brutality? What do you mean? You DO realize that a lot of technique is involved in those matches, yes?

No idea what you mean by "flashy" gladiators, either.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga