FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 106 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT, sagat
22914 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
AndyLA 2
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
28 minutes 37 seconds ago
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
Today at 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22914 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432494 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#352326 - 07/29/07 12:38 AM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: Meliam]
Meliam Offline

Taison: You are right about the many schools in the US that don't know crap. There are schools like that everywhere, In Europe, the US, South America and I am sure even in Thailand.

But there are also schools that are good. The Brazilians have some excellent schools, so do the Dutch and other Europeans, Russians are not bad either, and there are a lot of good American fighters. But it goes back to your comments about K1, if you claim that all but the Thai are terrible at Thai Boxing and then excuse the Thai for not winning the tournaments where they could show they really are the best then it is a bit hard to argue. You never see many thais in K1, Pride, the UFC etc. And I know you will say its because the rules and because those tournaments suck, but those tournaments are open for fighters from all over the world, and it would be a place for the thais to display their skills.

I trained Kyokushin and Ashihara in Europe before I moved to the US and began training Muay Thai and BJJ. I have been in and seen tournaments with people from all over the world, and I have never seen a Thai dominance, unless you talk about local fights in Thailand.

I have nothing against Thai people and I love their art (Muay Thai) but I find your talk about how terrible all others are narrow-minded and disrespectful, its not like you have seen all the other schools that teach Muay Thai in Europe and the US.

Meliam

#352327 - 07/29/07 04:17 PM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: Meliam]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Meliam,

Sigh. .

If only I could show you people online how to perform these so called 'blocks' you might see. It's damn hard to explain something using words only.

Basically, a good MT block will look more like a knee thrust than actually a block. It also involves a slight step to the side, and a slight step forward all in the same motion. It rarely results in a shin to shin impact because the angle are rarely on for the shins to meet.

Quote:

What you say is like saying Brazilian Jujitsu is just for Brazilians.

No. What formless is saying is more along the line of saying "I'm a Brazilian Judo-ka". If it were you would you understand it as him being a Judo-ka from Brazil, or a practitioner of Brazilian Judo?

Formless,

Quote:

i am sure i can make some about thailand which would seem very ignorant and rude to you, but i dont like to.

Like what? I could need a good laugh now.

Formless, no disrespect, seeing as you haven't filled your bio or anything, I have no idea who or what you do. But the sound of it, it seems you're a college student with max maybe 3 or 4 years experience and doing part time work. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I am not saying that MT schools in the US sucks, but what I am saying is that there so many McGyms, it's hard to take a foreign MT boxer seriously. In Thailand, they're spitting out year after year hundreds of quality fighters, who are all able to become big shots, not because of passion but because it's survival. No dog can bite like a corned dog. Same with Thai boxers, they lose, no food on the table. Most of the time, Western boxers do it for a passion but they don't have that drive like Thai boxers do. Hell, even I don't have that drive.

In the end, however, I think blocks are a last resort. It causes too much pain, and it shows you've got poor defense. A good fighter parries or riposte instead of taking a hit head-on.

-Taison out

#352328 - 07/30/07 07:52 AM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: Meliam]
shills11 Offline

Loc: Glasgow Scotland
clearly i have a LOT to learn about low kick defence, but i sense a difference in opinion between east and west here, could that be because in Thailand they fight week to week and cant afford to risk mangling their shins on each other as it would affect training? consequently resulting in either less low leg kicks being thrown/blocked. Where as over here in the west since they fight every couple of months they can afford to get all excited and low leg kick themselves silly and have plenty of time to recover? i could be wrong.................

#352329 - 07/30/07 11:51 AM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: shills11]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Yes, more or less, you're right.

It is not unusual for a Thai boxer to fight around 3 matches a week, with very little recovery time.

-Taison out

#352330 - 07/30/07 12:48 PM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: Taison]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
just for a miunte please, something taison said spark a memory.

"I am not saying that MT schools in the US sucks, but what I am saying is that there so many McGyms, it's hard to take a foreign MT boxer seriously. In Thailand, they're spitting out year after year hundreds of quality fighters, who are all able to become big shots, not because of passion but because it's survival. No dog can bite like a corned dog. Same with Thai boxers, they lose, no food on the table. Most of the time, Western boxers do it for a passion but they don't have that drive like Thai boxers do. Hell, even I don't have that drive."

this is very true. i never realiazed it before, i always thought i trained hard as hell with a few close buddies. then i go away to a international seminar one year, and we spend a few hours sparing, just moving from one person to the next no break. and forgive me for being human, but after a hour or so i was clinically dead, im sure. i had stoped evading punches and simply let them hit me and rolled them off, i was just to tired to do anything else. then i pair up against this man from isreal, for my story i will call him the killing macine, anyway, the killing machine seeing im tired grabs my sleve and plants a front kick in my stomach that im sure my grand father felt. my first reaction is to give him one hell of a look, and he looks at me and says, and i will never forget this "where im from, they come for you when your tired, and they take your family" and then im on my feet with thoughts of my family in my head.

we all have the ability to reach that drive, and use it. some of us in the western hemisphere are just not as used to danger. now at every seminar that story is told. i think i've seen the same thing in some boxing matches. it seems to me that some people are content to go to a boxing gym, train like a boxer, put on a boxers uniform, and get in the ring and be a boxer. these people get knocked the f*$% out. then there are the people who train boxing because they have to, because its not a sport, it really is a way of life. they get in the ring and look to kill you, every ounce of them is devoted to beating your ass down.

i think its a matter of waking up from the dream of safety. its so comfortable in bed in the morning sometimes that you just don't want to get up. and while im in a soft bed trying to drain every last minute of sleep out, the men who live for the fight are training.

benny the jet is a guy i kind look up to in that light, such a small guy, but he fought the hell outta his opponents.

that level drive is reachable by anyone, its just easier to lay out on teh deck with a beer. sad??

ok, resume the leg kicking

#352331 - 07/30/07 05:21 PM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: Taison]
formless Offline

"Formless, no disrespect, seeing as you haven't filled your bio or anything, I have no idea who or what you do. But the sound of it, it seems you're a college student with max maybe 3 or 4 years experience and doing part time work. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I am not saying that MT schools in the US sucks, but what I am saying is that there so many McGyms, it's hard to take a foreign MT boxer seriously. In Thailand, they're spitting out year after year hundreds of quality fighters, who are all able to become big shots, not because of passion but because it's survival. No dog can bite like a corned dog. Same with Thai boxers, they lose, no food on the table. Most of the time, Western boxers do it for a passion but they don't have that drive like Thai boxers do. Hell, even I don't have that drive."

1). college student yes, 21 years old, 6 years tracy system of kenpo, 2 years boxing/kickboxing then the last 6 years training in MT. i think i know a little bit about fighting. theres my bio. that should be all you need to know. and there are mcdojos in every part of the world.

2). You did say that the schools in the U.S. sucked and you wouldnt train in them. said ud only train in thailand and the uk.

3). corned dogs are delicious and i bite them, not the other way around.

4). dont take me seriously, my advantage. it only takes one decent hit to decide the outcome of a fight.

5). i do not wish to make generalizations about thailand, i think its beautiful and am grateful for what has become one of my favorite martial arts, just be aware that they are out there, and i will not perpetuate any of them, seeing as i have not been there.

do NOT underestimate ANY of your opponents, regardless of the ground they were born on. the will to fight with all your heart and with the rage of a cornered injured dog is NOT a thai exclusive trait.

will > skill

#352332 - 08/06/07 04:13 PM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: formless]
Helen2005 Offline

Loc: Arkansas
My hubbie and I were wondering this very same thing the other day. The parry sounds a lot better and less painful than trying to block the kick. I'm going to have to practice this and see if I can get it down. Thanks Taison. BTW, I don't think where you're from determines whether you'll be a good fighter. I think what determines if you'll be a good fighter is using your brain and following your heart.

#352333 - 08/07/07 02:05 AM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: Helen2005]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

The thing that determines if you're a good fighter is proper training, support and motivation.

Formless, sorry if I haven't been able to reply, been busy. I'll come up with something to annoy you. Give me a sec, I'm still trying to figure something out.

-Taison out

#352334 - 08/10/07 11:47 AM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: Taison]
Meliam Offline

The parry is the best way of stopping a kick.
But I always stress that fighters should prepare for the worse and then the best will happen.

Do a lot of conditioning and speed drills, condition your shin in case you end up blocking shin to shin, because of accident or because the opponent is too fast. Develop your leg muscles to be able to take some kicks straight on the thigh without going down. Be ready for all the bad stuff that can happen. And then use the parry. Doing so will make you an effective fighter. You will use the best option but you will not succumb if you have to fall back to a less preferred method of blocking during the fight.

At least thats my take on it.

What makes you a good fighter? proper training, support, environment, motivation, heart.

Train hard, do a lot of conditioning, never let your physical conditioning be the reason why you lose a fight.

Taison did not mean that Thais are better just because they are Thais but because of the way they see fighting as the only way of supporting themselves and their families.
And because of the tradition of MT in Thailand.

I tend to agree with this, but you also have to think about the people that do it just because they love it. They train a lot, they have all what they need at their disposal. Good equipment, good training, good nutrition etc, that may add up to also be a decisive factor in becoming a good fighter.

That is why I tend to believe that there are good fighters all over the world, it's not the system is the training and the fighter himself that makes the difference.

Meliam

#352335 - 08/15/07 09:38 PM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: Meliam]
falconhunter2020 Offline

When "defending" against a kick to the leg, why is it wrong to block it with your arm or the back of your fist?
I can see why you wouldn't want to block with the ulna; you'd break your arm, but what about double bone blocks?
Another argument stated above was that your opponent would hit you in the face while your arm was down, what if you block with your rear hand?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga