FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 9
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 4
VDJ 2
FrankyFruits 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432473 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#352316 - 07/26/07 07:10 PM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: Meliam]
Dauragon c mikado Offline

Loc: Oxford, England
When blocking leg kicks I prefer to simply push the knee of the incoming leg with either the flat of my foot (like a stomp kick) or the palm of my hand (followed by a simultaneous counter or a very ready guard).
The only time I would consider going shin to shin would be that either the other blocking methods aren't working and working against me, or that I'm up against one fast mofo who's kicks are getting to their target quicker than my hand/foot is getting to their knee.
But really I'd prefer not to block unless it's really needed, which is why foot work is very important so he misses you all together.

As for how I shin condition, well I think me, Taison and many other forum members and MAs are content with a tightly packed heavy bag, some a sand bag, but rarely will you see people hitting things that have zero 'give' in them.
Even back in the day when they used trees, the trees were stripped of their bark exposing the strong but 'soft' inner core.

Ps, if a person is a 'thai boxer', does this mean they only punch thai people? Ah, racism eh? that's how it's going down, right?

#352317 - 07/26/07 07:13 PM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: Dauragon c mikado]
formless Offline

very nice point about the thai racism, and im not sure lowering your guard to block a kick is advisable, especially more than once >:D

#352318 - 07/26/07 07:18 PM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: formless]

Quote:

1. i am not thai, i will continue calling myself a thai boxer. come take the title from me.

2.try to block the low kick as high up your leg as possible. strive to make his shin meet your knee, and if you cant do that, try to move in as the closer you are the less power your opponent can kick you with. i still like the idea of front snap kicking him just to push him off balance when he kicks - long enough for you to close and use in fighting. you should be able to score a few hits after the front snap you throw due to lack of balance on his part.

3. perhaps you did not mean it, but i sensed a bit of over confidance and even arrogance in your post taison, tsk tsk. and yes, a westerner did figure out the "mysterious" thai way of blocking low kicks. please do not sell us short. i think it has been far too long since a ramon dekkers has visited your country.

take care and train hard.

*gasps*

Oh no Taison! Are you going to let him speak to you that way? He just dissed you man!

Show this fool what time it is!

#352319 - 07/26/07 07:29 PM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: formless]

Quote:

very nice point about the thai racism, and I'm not sure lowering your guard to block a kick is advisable, especially more than once >:D

Well, I find that whilst their on one leg and having their kick blocked they can't move in a way to strike effectively.

A: because they're on one leg.
B: because their body is tilted back slightly meaning that they can't turn their body all that well also meaning that unless they want to fall over, they're not going to be able to lean away from "ole bullhammer"

#352320 - 07/26/07 11:26 PM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: formless]
Meliam Offline

Hey Formless

Moving in close would help here but I think a person that is not used to Muay Thai style fighting would be in for a rude awakening when they get close and the Thai Boxer starts clinching?

Out of the fire and into the frying pan hehe.

Take care all,

Meliam

#352321 - 07/27/07 12:46 PM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: Meliam]
formless Offline

mikado - eventually a smart opponent will see you blocking kicks with your arms and feint a kick to lower your guard and open up a can on you with his hands.

meliam - didnt the original poster say hes helping his buddy prepare for a fight? hopefully he has somewhat of a basic idea of the fighting ranges of muay thai, otherwise im afraid he wont be much help to his buddy

#352322 - 07/27/07 12:53 PM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: formless]
Meliam Offline

Quote:

meliam - didnt the original poster say hes helping his buddy prepare for a fight? hopefully he has somewhat of a basic idea of the fighting ranges of muay thai, otherwise im afraid he wont be much help to his buddy

Good point. hehe,

Laterz

Meliam

#352323 - 07/27/07 09:38 PM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: formless]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Quote:

come take the title from me.

Sigh.. Easy for you to say, you live in another part of the world. If you ever come to Thailand, PM and I'll arrange a seminar, and you're welcome to come and learn a few stuff and maybe some friendly sparring.

Quote:

i am not thai, i will continue calling myself a thai boxer.

Which is plain ignorance. Then from now on I'll call myself a Swedish businessman. Whereever I go, I'll introduce myself as a Swedish businessman. Does that sound stupid? If you think so, then you might need to re-consider your so called "title". If you want to wear the name with pride, then you ought to call yourself a "MUAY THAI BOXER" but it's just semantics. I still think "Thai boxer" sounds stupid as it basically means either; a boxer with thai nationality, or a guy who boxes thai. I'm half thai, so I kind of don't like the latter.

Quote:

a westerner did figure out the "mysterious" thai way of blocking low kicks.

Actually, no you didn't. The secret of a good low shin block is to move in when you block, sometimes you even have the option of angling your knee towards his thigh, to cause pain when he kicks, this however requires skill. Now, very few western kickboxers know this because simply, they weren't taught this. I've seen some quality boxers who did know this because simply, they trained in another MA before MT. The cause they don't know these subtle tricks? Thai coaches don't like teaching away all secrets to foreigners. I can guarantee you something; try going to a MT camp in Thailand. After 4 years, I can say you're beginning to learn the real deal, but the thai kid next to you? By that time he's already very far up the ladder.

Arrogance? Over-confidence? Nope, I'm just stating facts. I'm also over-generalizing because simply, if you take the whole western MT scene as a whole, it's totally horrible and ridiculous. The only country I'd learn MT beside Thailand, is England. In the US, there's WAAAY too many "Thai boxing" schools which are basically westerners who learnt MT in thailand for a month or two and set up their own gym in USA, and then posts hundreds of photograph of his so called "master" in Thailand.

When going to a school, all you need to ask them is their lineage. However, I'd be more focused on their achievements.

Oh,
Rule no. 1: Taison is never wrong
Rule no. 2: If Taison is wrong, refer to rule no.1

-Taison out

#352324 - 07/28/07 12:33 PM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: Taison]
formless Offline

Quote:

Quote:

come take the title from me.

Sigh.. Easy for you to say, you live in another part of the world. If you ever come to Thailand, PM and I'll arrange a seminar, and you're welcome to come and learn a few stuff and maybe some friendly sparring.

Quote:

i am not thai, i will continue calling myself a thai boxer.

Which is plain ignorance. Then from now on I'll call myself a Swedish businessman. Whereever I go, I'll introduce myself as a Swedish businessman. Does that sound stupid? If you think so, then you might need to re-consider your so called "title". If you want to wear the name with pride, then you ought to call yourself a "MUAY THAI BOXER" but it's just semantics. I still think "Thai boxer" sounds stupid as it basically means either; a boxer with thai nationality, or a guy who boxes thai. I'm half thai, so I kind of don't like the latter.

Quote:

a westerner did figure out the "mysterious" thai way of blocking low kicks.

Actually, no you didn't. The secret of a good low shin block is to move in when you block, sometimes you even have the option of angling your knee towards his thigh, to cause pain when he kicks, this however requires skill. Now, very few western kickboxers know this because simply, they weren't taught this. I've seen some quality boxers who did know this because simply, they trained in another MA before MT. The cause they don't know these subtle tricks? Thai coaches don't like teaching away all secrets to foreigners. I can guarantee you something; try going to a MT camp in Thailand. After 4 years, I can say you're beginning to learn the real deal, but the thai kid next to you? By that time he's already very far up the ladder.

Arrogance? Over-confidence? Nope, I'm just stating facts. I'm also over-generalizing because simply, if you take the whole western MT scene as a whole, it's totally horrible and ridiculous. The only country I'd learn MT beside Thailand, is England. In the US, there's WAAAY too many "Thai boxing" schools which are basically westerners who learnt MT in thailand for a month or two and set up their own gym in USA, and then posts hundreds of photograph of his so called "master" in Thailand.

When going to a school, all you need to ask them is their lineage. However, I'd be more focused on their achievements.

Oh,
Rule no. 1: Taison is never wrong
Rule no. 2: If Taison is wrong, refer to rule no.1

-Taison out

when you pratice business in sweden, i will have no problem with you calling yourself a swedish businessman. i practice a thai martial art, so i will refer to myself as a thai boxer. if i had the money/time to make a visit to thailand, i would have done so a long time ago. unfortunatley, school and work is more pressing at the moment.

and as i stated above, my way to block shin kicks require you to close distance and get close, because there is no way you can stand far back and block the kick with the upper part of your knee. i had thought i made moving in obvious when i say block as far up his leg as possible.

and theres no way to state facts with over-generalizations. over-generalizations just [censored] people that are halfway around the world off. i am sure i can make some about thailand which would seem very ignorant and rude to you, but i dont like to.

#352325 - 07/29/07 12:22 AM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: formless]
Meliam Offline

Taison: In my post i suggest that he uses the same kind of blocks as your "secret" thai only blocks, but that he conditions his shin cause shin to shin blocks will happen, and may be necessary if he is too slow to block like you suggest here, and you said that I was wrong and that shin to shin was not the way to block. Wish you had read what I posted before you just said it was wrong.

Second, Thai Boxing refers to a style that looked to Europeans and Americans like western boxing (Because of the gloves) but that was from Thailand. hence Thai Boxing.
It does not mean that you have to be Thai or to box a Thai.People in the West called it Thai Boxing (probably out of ignorance) but that is the name it got in the west. I like Muay Thai better myself because you know it's not American style kickboxing you are talking about but i understand some people calling it Thai Boxing.

What you say is like saying Brazilian Jujitsu is just for Brazilians.

Meliam

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga