FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
Marcus Charles 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#352306 - 07/21/07 04:12 PM Darn you leg kicks!
Leonine Offline

So I'm helping my friend get ready for his Thai fight, so we're getting in some sparring time together. He takes a traditional muay thai stance and I take something of a low guard from boxing to utilize the shoulder roll.

We begin with a general testing phase, it's been awhile since we last sparred, and I find I can get my punches through his guard with some body-head stuff, and most of my kicks work pretty well. He tests with some hits, mostly one shot punches and kicks, which don't pose much threat to me. Anyway, it's been a few minutes, then he throws the leg kick. Catches me right on the thigh. So I try and re-taliate, he checks my leg and throws one back at me. SO for a few minutes, he's basically just throwing leg kicks at me, and I have to back up and circle around, effectively breaking my range.

Eventually I got a bit annoyed and started in-fighting him, which neutralized his leg kicks, but still! I've made my stance to give me the most offensive and defensive options that I desire, and now there's a glaring hole in them. So far, I have only three options. One is I check the kicks, which is not natural for me yet (and from guaging the power he's got on the bag, would REALLY hurt), I bring my forearm down to block the kicks (again, really hurt I would think), or I break range and circle around. Advice?

I'm also an MMA fighter, and am not likely to take advice that could not be applied there (sorry if that makes it difficult)

#352307 - 07/21/07 06:34 PM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: Leonine]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Try to check the kick with your foot, or shin block it. Do not use your forearm. You will get get clocked by his hands - if his kicks don't break your arm.

#352308 - 07/22/07 02:47 AM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: Leonine]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Leg kicks, are they of the snap variety or roundhouse variety.

If it's the snap variety, just go in and 1-2 with your hands. If it's the roundhouse, I'd recommend you step back when he throws them and go in.

Checking those roundhouse kicks isn't adviced, neither is blocking unless you're used to blocking such hard kicks.

-Taison out

#352309 - 07/24/07 06:48 AM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: Taison]
shills11 Offline

Loc: Glasgow Scotland
If your having trouble blocking with the shin, hit him with a front kick every time he tries to throw the low leg, this should knock him off balance but you have to time it just right, but the best way is blocking with the shin, a couple
of solid shin blocks stops me trying to low leg kick people for a while!

Edited by shills11 (07/24/07 06:51 AM)

#352310 - 07/24/07 11:44 AM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: shills11]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

From experience, I've tried retaliating when they were throwing the low kick. I BARELY got enough time to block them, and that's around 6 years of MT.

I don't advice blocking AT ALL. Call me weird, but in my opinion, the best block is not to get hit at all. A roundhouse, especially the low variety, will out-speed the front thrust simply due to mechanics. To perform a proper front thrust, you need to chamber your knee, and push out, whilst a roundhouse kick you can drag it into action, eliminating inefficient waste of energy, the unnecessary need to chamber to create force, etc etc.

The low kick will always be the ultimate kick. Some of the best fighters low kick will instantly hit you before you even knew what hit you. I've seen people hit with the low kick, and they didn't even notice, but when they tried to advanced, they crumpled down on the floor. I've seen some low kicks that literally introduced you to the floor.

Best thing against a low kick, is to keep distance, and move in with an attack when you pre-empt a low kick coming. Sometimes the best defense is an offense, and I live and breathe this commandment.

-Taison out

#352311 - 07/24/07 05:33 PM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: Leonine]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
I'd use the foot parry it takes timing but its one of the safest less painful defense for the low leg kick. Another if you can swicht stance as he kicks and counter with a leg kick to the leg, he is standing on.

Another method is to fient and fake make him miss, and counter while he's gathering himself.

I've seen people jump them, but if they raise it or catch you jumping it can flip over into the ground, it won't hurt as bad because your legs not grounded but it does get tiring getting back up.

The move that takes the less effort is the shin parry, after 1 or 2 successful shin blocks, most skilled leg kickers will take out the standing leg.

Theres really no way to get around it you have to jump to the side and stay on top of him. Some can leg kick at the closest distance.

I'd leg kick him and then go inside.

#352312 - 07/25/07 12:54 PM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: Neko456]
Meliam Offline

Low kicking is one of the best weapons of muai thai.
You will have to prepare to fight a thai boxer.
First of all you have to condition your shin, if you want to block a chin kick with your shin you will have to be able to take the blow without going down.

Start doing heavy bag drills where you kick on the Bottom (Hard part) of the bag with your shin. Use a piece of hard round wood to condition your shins, finally try kicking harder surfaces making sure you can kick with your shin with minimal pain. Banana trees are perfect for this ...but who has a banana tree now a days

When you fight try to see if you can block his kicks by using your shin against his inner thigh (Just above his knee) when he kicks the roundhounse lowkick. This will prevent you from having to block his shin with yours.

Front Kicks work sometimes but they are in my opinion
to slow as an effective countermeasure. Also if he knows you use front kicks to stop his low kicks he may fake you out and move in grabbing your leg while its out and sweeping your other foot.

I would try to block it first on his inner thigh with my shin, if that was too slow I would take it Shin on Shin.
(Make sure here that your foot is at a 90 degrees angle.
if your toes are pointing down you will not be able to stop the kick. Putting your foot at a 90 degrees angle when you raise your leg to parry with "lock" your leg and you will be able to take the hit.)

Finally if he is too fast I would shift my weight and rotate my leg when I fight him, in a manner where I take his kicks on different parts of my thigh and not same spot all the time.

Make sure if you are going to take the kick to go down a little bit on your stance so that you tighten your muscles.

For inner side low kicks just go with the flow and lift your
leg away from the kick following the path his kick is going.
This will prevent you from taking the damage you would take if you just took it standing.

PM me if you want more tips, this is getting to long

Meliam

#352313 - 07/26/07 12:38 AM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: Meliam]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Quote:

A note; MUAY THAI.

Quote:

Can you people please stop saying Thai boxer. They're not Thai. If you want to say MUAY THAI BOXER, than say Muay Thai boxer, don't be a lazy bum and say "Thai boxer" because they're not a boxer from Thailand.

Quote:

Start doing heavy bag drills where you kick on the Bottom (Hard part) of the bag with your shin

Stupid exercise in my opinion. Just kick the bag normally, it's enough. Kicking the hard part will result in prolonged stress on the bones and it will make them brittle in the long run.

Quote:

Use a piece of hard round wood to condition your shins, finally try kicking harder surfaces

Another advice I'd advice against. No, don't do these things, they brittle your bones in the long run.

Quote:

I would try to block it first on his inner thigh with my shin, if that was too slow I would take it Shin on Shin.
if your toes are pointing down you will not be able to stop the kick. Putting your foot at a 90 degrees angle when you raise your leg to parry with "lock" your leg and you will be able to take the hit.)

Says why western MT boxers loses most of the time against Thai boxers. You just haven't figured it out about the block and encourage shin to shin blocks. Tsk tsk.

-Taison out

#352314 - 07/26/07 04:51 PM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: Taison]
Meliam Offline

Quote:

Quote:

A note; MUAY THAI.

Quote:

Can you people please stop saying Thai boxer. They're not Thai. If you want to say MUAY THAI BOXER, than say Muay Thai boxer, don't be a lazy bum and say "Thai boxer" because they're not a boxer from Thailand.

Quote:

Start doing heavy bag drills where you kick on the Bottom (Hard part) of the bag with your shin

Stupid exercise in my opinion. Just kick the bag normally, it's enough. Kicking the hard part will result in prolonged stress on the bones and it will make them brittle in the long run.

Quote:

Use a piece of hard round wood to condition your shins, finally try kicking harder surfaces

Another advice I'd advice against. No, don't do these things, they brittle your bones in the long run.

Quote:

Says why western MT boxers loses most of the time against Thai boxers. You just haven't figured it out about the block and encourage shin to shin blocks. Tsk tsk.

-Taison out

Yo Taison

First of all, this post is not to disrespect you.

When I say kick the bottom part of the bag it is because I have seen many people kicking high where the content of the bag is not very hard. Personally I like a bag (Muay Thai) Style where the bottom part if fairly compact.

Thai Pads will also help there though.

I say Thai Boxer mostly because people know what I am talking about if I do. Since this is a MA forum I guess I should say Muay Thai the muai was a typo

I never had any issues with my bones, a few of the guys I know have broken their shins in fights tho. I always did the shin conditioning hitting the shin or rolling weights on the bones.

I did most of my preliminary Shin conditioning when I was still training Kyokushin karate in Europe. What do you do for shin conditioning yourself?

I did not recommend shin to shin block as the preferred way of blocking the kick. I prefer shooting my hips a bit forward towards my opponent in the blocks, trying to stop his kick by blocking his inner thigh with my shin in stead of taking a blow shin to shin. But shin to shin happens and its better to be able to take that kind of hits without going down.Finally I told him that is he could not prevent the kicks he should change his stance so that he did not got kicked in the same spot over and over.

Laterz

Meliam

PS you said writing Thai Boxer was lazy and you wrote MT Boxer hehe

#352315 - 07/26/07 07:07 PM Re: Darn you leg kicks! [Re: Taison]
formless Offline

Quote:

Quote:

A note; MUAY THAI.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

-Taison out

1. i am not thai, i will continue calling myself a thai boxer. come take the title from me.

2.try to block the low kick as high up your leg as possible. strive to make his shin meet your knee, and if you cant do that, try to move in as the closer you are the less power your opponent can kick you with. i still like the idea of front snap kicking him just to push him off balance when he kicks - long enough for you to close and use in fighting. you should be able to score a few hits after the front snap you throw due to lack of balance on his part.

3. perhaps you did not mean it, but i sensed a bit of over confidance and even arrogance in your post taison, tsk tsk. and yes, a westerner did figure out the "mysterious" thai way of blocking low kicks. please do not sell us short. i think it has been far too long since a ramon dekkers has visited your country.

take care and train hard.

Edited by formless (07/26/07 07:11 PM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga