FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
Yesterday at 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#351733 - 07/17/07 08:56 AM Don't defend yourself
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Pathetic and infuriating. This society is going to hell in a handbasket. Cops can't defend themselves? What the hell is wrong with people? :

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=local&id=5478651

" A Chicago Police officer has been sentenced to five years in prison. He says he was defending himself against a drunken attacker while off-duty in Iowa. A judge in Dubuque, Iowa, says the police officer should have simply run away.

Patrolman Mike Mette was convicted of felony assault. He has been removed from the Chicago Police Department and faces a stiff prison term in Iowa.
"I feel it's a complete miscarriage of justice," said Officer Michael Mette.

The case raises questions about fairness and just who was the victim.

This is not just a question of whether the punishment fits the crime. Chicago Police Officer Mike Mette says there was no crime. Nevertheless, a judge in Iowa this week sentenced Mette to five years behind bars for slugging a Dubuque college student, even though the judge admits Mette was being attacked at the time. No one is disputing the facts of the case of what happened that night, only the outcome is being questioned. "My younger brother Marc was living in Dubuque, he went out there for his 25th birthday," said Michael Mette.

The party weekend took place October, 2005, near the University of Dubuque campus. Eleventh District Chicago Patrolman Mike Mette, his brother Marc and several friends went to a late night beer party in a nearby home thrown by a pair of university students, one of them 20-year-old Jake Gothard. According to authorities, Gothard was extremely drunk at the time.

"Yelling, makin' derogatory comments about us being six guys with no women with us," said Michael Mette. Michael Mette says when he and his brother and their four friends tried to leave, Gothard became angry.

"He was just mad that we didn't want to stay and drink with him anymore," Michael Mette said. Gothard and his roommate began chasing Mette and the five other men, claiming they had stolen his cell phone, until they all ended up on the front lawn of Marc Mette's house.

"Mr. Gothard approached me and told me he was going to beat the crap out of me, and he actually hit me with his two fists like this in the chest. Hit me three times. I pushed him away from me. Told him to leave. He comes back at me a fourth time and that's when, you know, when I hit him. I hit him in the left side of the face," said Michael Mette.
Moments later, when city police arrived on the scene, Gothard was still on the ground, having been cold cocked by Officer Mette's right hook. When Mette and the others described what happened, Dubuque Police arrested Mette, charging him with felony assault causing serious injury.

"Just because I am a police officer doesn't mean I'm supposed to take a beating," Michael Mette said. "His conduct wasn't warranted," said Timothy Gallagher, assistant Dubuque County attorney. The prosecutor who brought charges against Mette says it wasn't self-defense.

"Mr. Gothard received, as I recall, numerous cuts, abrasion bruises, head/brain bleeds," said Gallagher. When the case went to a bench trial in December, Dubuque County Judge Monica Ackley found that Chicago Police Officer Mike Mette "was not the initial aggressor of this incident," Jake Gothard was. Nevertheless, Judge Ackley ruled that Mette was guilty, because even after Gothard struck him three times, Mette should have just ignored it and retreated. (italics mine)

"If I'm being attacked on my own property I should have the right to defend myself within reason," said Mette.

On Monday, Mette was sentenced to five years in prison.

"The court has no discretion in that matter. It's mandatory incarceration," said Gallagher.

Jake Gothard wasn't charged, although he has since been arrested for driving under the influence. He returned to compete in college golf tournaments and, apparently, to the party circuit, having displayed dozens of drinking photos on his Facebook page.

Jake Gothard, the official victim in the case, agreed to an interview Friday but then backed out on advice of his lawyer because he says they plan a civil suit against Officer Mette.

Former Officer Mette, who has been placed on unpaid status, is off the job as he appeals the conviction and sentence in Iowa."

#351734 - 07/17/07 09:00 AM Re: Don't defend yourself [Re: MattJ]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
I'm starting to lose faith in society, especially after reading all that.

-Taison out

#351735 - 07/17/07 09:15 AM Re: Don't defend yourself [Re: Taison]
Downsin Offline

i agree with the judge, you shouldnt atack kids like that.

but prison is a little exetreme.

basicly, if a college student ever starts on you push him to the floor, use a graple hold or run away.
save the Ko's for multiple poeple, and men that are not drunk. ^^

#351736 - 07/17/07 09:16 AM Re: Don't defend yourself [Re: Taison]
Circle_of_Owls Offline

Loc: Austin, Tx, USA
That makes me sick. The right to self-defence is the first law of nature. I hope his appeal finds a more (or even slightly) rational judge.

-Owl

#351737 - 07/17/07 09:22 AM Re: Don't defend yourself [Re: Taison]
shadowkahn Offline
anti-stupid crusader

Quote:

I'm starting to lose faith in society, especially after reading all that.

-Taison out

Don't lose faith in society. Just lose faith in Iowa. I lived there for 2.5 years. Their justice system is a mockery. I got a ticket for 57 in a 55, took it to court, proved the cop hadn't learned how to use the radar, hadn't tested its calibration, and that the radar and speedo in the cop car hadn't been calibrated as required by state law, and they still found me guilty. Then I found out there's no automatic right of appeal for traffic citations.

If they're going to be that asinine about a traffic ticket, they'll have REAL fun with actual criminal cases.

#351738 - 07/17/07 09:31 AM Re: Don't defend yourself [Re: MattJ]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
If he appeals that verdict with witness thats just one Judges opinon, it is sad that they can't put their petty personal opinon aside and just do their job. This type of I was a college student once or I have a cousin going to that college, it could heve been him, thinking that makes Judges find for the aggressor, which is stupid.

The verdict mentioned that he should have ran, it seems that they did, once the a threat follows you to your domains you are not required to run into your home where others could be harmed or alarmed. This was gross injustice and I think the city of Iowa is going to have reinenstate that officer with back pay and civil libilities from the state. Unfortunatly u can't sue the Judge personally. Maybe thats what should start happening that the libility should come out of the Judges Insurance as it does Doctors. They'd think twice or longer before making such stupid bad decisions.

Downsin - Where do you get your logic? Do you know the biggest threat to you is a male subject between the age of 16-25 years old. Let them kill you because they are in college???

Theres a lot of good kids in College, but there are a lot wrap kids also, remembering the recent MidEast shooting on college campus in the USA. Bc they other kids drove BMWs or wore Rolexs, damn get a Job!

Edited by Neko456 (07/17/07 09:39 AM)

#351739 - 07/17/07 10:06 AM Re: Don't defend yourself [Re: Neko456]
Downsin Offline

just saying if u dont wanna goto jail.

tho i have not seen any body ever goto prison or even get arested for fighting where i live, police will break it up then let you get on your way (excluding not prevoked beatin witch i have never ever seen)
police arest violence to women and children.

and ofcourse if you even swear at them, let alone be violent to them they will arest u on the spot

Edited by Downsin (07/17/07 10:10 AM)

#351740 - 07/17/07 10:15 AM Re: Don't defend yourself [Re: Downsin]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

i agree with the judge, you shouldnt atack kids like that.

but prison is a little exetreme.

basicly, if a college student ever starts on you push him to the floor, use a graple hold or run away.
save the Ko's for multiple poeple, and men that are not drunk. ^^

25 years old is hardly a kid. You would let someone hit you - several times - before responding?

#351741 - 07/17/07 10:20 AM Re: Don't defend yourself [Re: Downsin]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

I have realy got to implement this "push them to the floor" technique into our curriculum. Being how everyone that is a bully is weak,imbalanced, and has only one leg and all.

yee haw...

#351742 - 07/17/07 10:23 AM Re: Don't defend yourself [Re: MattJ]
jpoor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Fairfax, VA
I think we likely don't have all the facts.

If the officer's story is 100 percent true, then I think he got a bum deal. However, it also goes to show what putting yourself in the wrong place will do for you.

Why was he at a party with underage drinking going on? Bad Juju if you ask me.

Still, that doesn't mean that he shouldn't have been able to defend himself; ESPECIALLY after being chased (down the street?) to another location.

One thing that doesn't jive well though is the refernce to ...Several cuts bleeds/brain bleeds... I don't think you get that from one KO punch. It could be sensationalism of the side of the judge.

In general, I think he got a bum deal, but I'll reserve final judgement pending the rest of the facts (which we may never have).

Edited by jpoor (07/17/07 10:24 AM)

Best,
Jim

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga