FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Troy7785, wakita, swisztony, Tonybb, shelly1993
22920 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 3
AndyLA 3
Marcus Charles 1
Victor Smith 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22920 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#351118 - 07/12/07 10:40 AM a definition of budo
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
"budo is about learning to die"

this one has been on my mind constantly, any thoughts?

#351119 - 07/12/07 11:28 AM Re: a definition of budo [Re: student_of_life]
freedom_warrior Offline

one cannot learn to die, one can only learn to accept death as a natural part of life.

#351120 - 07/12/07 12:14 PM Re: a definition of budo [Re: freedom_warrior]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

its been a while since i posted, i forgot how every thing ahs to be worded just so,lol.

well then, budo is preperation for death?

#351121 - 07/12/07 12:25 PM Re: a definition of budo [Re: student_of_life]
jkdwarrior Offline

Loc: belfast, Antrim, Ireland
Since our natural instinct is to survive, it is very difficult to completely come to terms with the fact that we are going to die without fearing it. So many people say they aren't afraid to die, but they really are. I've done many hours of meditation on this subject and I still fear it. This anxiety however has decreased substantially over the years and I believe that when it does happen I'll be that bit more prepared and it will pass easier.
Its kind of like the way of the warrior. To be willing to lay down your life if necessary is the optimum fighting spirit.

#351122 - 07/12/07 12:28 PM Re: a definition of budo [Re: jkdwarrior]
freedom_warrior Offline

i think budo is about adapting but in a way i think it is about accepting that death will come so yeah in a way budo is preperation for death

#351123 - 07/21/07 12:05 PM Re: a definition of budo [Re: freedom_warrior]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
This distasteful idea is from a bygone era where political masters purely for self-preservation and or political objectives brainwashed their glorified bodyguards (aka samurais) into thinking that death in battle (especially in the defence of the master himself) is of the highest honour attainable.

The warrior -- "Bushi" -- did not die for himself or for any high moral principle -- "Budo" -- he died for his master and only his master; "Budo" was there to make it palatable, both for the pitiful Bushis and his family.

This same idea was drumed into those pitiful kamikazi pilots of WWII and now we see the same thing being used in the religious indoctrination of suicide bombers.

Everything except the packaging remains the same.

You are born to live! Death is but a negation of Life, not its objective.

#351124 - 07/21/07 03:08 PM Re: a definition of budo [Re: ButterflyPalm]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

good point, death for a master who is not deserving of the service is a sad idea. a way to use people, keep them ingorant and keep their minds busy, then their "masters" would be free to do damn near anything, only having to but yank the chain to get things done.

we see the same thing almost every where as well. every thing form the amercian dream, to death in service, to having multiple wives, so subserveant indivuadls in any relationship. without debating thses spefic topics, cause we'd get locked, i agree that the theme is a prety sad one.

i've always had second thoughts when i read about the saumrai living to serve like that. a kind of "i don't think so tim" kind of feeling.

the budo im talking about is different then dieing for anyone like that. i guess im trying to work out a kind of personal budo. more like a lack of dependance on anything, getting to the root of wants and "needs",and forcing myself out of safety zones and unproductive circular thinking. it feelslike a constant kind of race to keep your head out of the sand to see for your self what the real colour of things is. instead of having to take any one's word for it. and not falling into a "im sure their telling me the truth" frame of mind, indulging in a false sense of safety.

like i should only have to see the sun rise once to know how beautiful it is. if while it was rising i was thinking about what happened yesterday, or what i was going to do today, i would miss it, and if i died before the next sunrise, i would always regret not being clear minded enough to just sit there and take it all in.

being ready for death is being completly in what im doing now, don't regret the las second, don't worry about the next.

thoughts? tips? pointers?

#351125 - 07/21/07 10:16 PM Re: a definition of budo [Re: student_of_life]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
In Bushido, the way of the warrior is the resolute acceptance of death. When death comes, it is "your time", and it should, as the poem "Thanatopsis" says be greeted as welcome, and not feared.

http://www.bartleby.com/102/16.html

You have to have an understanding of the society where Budo and Bushido come from, and it was a feudal society. Above all other things, loyalty to your "Lord" was demanded and expected, and "above all things, loyalty" was the code of the Samurai. The clans of Japan each had leaders and Lords that ruled over them, and the order of the society was kept by the Samurai and their brutally strict laws.

As Western influences drew Japan away from the feudal social structure, the foundations of Budo were shaken, and much of its essence was lost. Nitobe's book on Bushido, and the Hakagure (rules for the Samurai) give you a clear insight into exactly what was expected of warriors, and a good understanding of how Samurai were to conduct themselves.

#351126 - 07/21/07 10:42 PM Re: a definition of budo [Re: wristtwister]
WuXing Offline

Loc: Idaho, USA
I think people are confusing Budo and Bushido. Maybe they represent the same thing to some people...in my understanding, "Budo" means "martial way". It is the word they use to describe the actual martial arts as a whole (especially the homogenized versions compiled from the various "jutsu" developed during the feudal period); kendo, iaido, judo, naginatado, kyudo, etc.
"Bushido" is the Way of the Warrior, the code developed for the samurai to follow, including absolute loyalty to one's lord and willingness to die. Practicing Budo would be a part of Bushido, but following Bushido may not necessarily have to be a part of Budo. To some, I'm sure the two are inextricable, but in modern times especially I think "bushido" is pretty much extinct.

However, being able to eschew the fear of death is an excellent goal, and practicing martial arts is one thing that can lead in that direction. This does not mean you want to die, but that you move forward without hesitation when you need to. When it is time to act, you act without regret. When it is time to stay still, you stay still without doubt. Doing what is natural, without over-thinking and analyzing everything...being in touch with the Tao.

#351127 - 07/22/07 12:17 AM Re: a definition of budo [Re: wristtwister]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

that was a very sobering poem wristtwiser, thanks for sharing it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga