FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 8 of 13 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 >
Topic Options
#350515 - 08/18/07 11:38 PM Re: Human Weapon Series [Re: IExcalibui2]
SpeedyGonzales Offline

Quote:

I definitely agree with the historical facts of Judo
and they didnt seem to explain much about Kano's reason of Judo development too

Jujutsu practice at the time, from what I know, was very brutal and dangerous. Many students suffering problems and such as it was a Jutsu (used for battle). JuDO shows a more gentle approach to the art? So that students can practice safely and such without dying in the dojo, haha. I might be wrong but is that how it goes?

It's more than just that. Judo is a sport with points, there are jujutsu schools that have some "sport" aspects but much less than judo. Jujutsu has more emphasis on joint manipulation, which I was disappointed that they barely showed.

#350516 - 08/19/07 12:06 AM Re: Human Weapon Series [Re: SpeedyGonzales]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
well i dont care too much of the point system, but what else differs the 2 arts? I'm just curious

its like saying Kendo and Kenjutsu
yea kendo is a sport but there must be a reason why Kendo was formed formally
So why Judo? I'm sure Kano had more than just creating a sport in mind

As far as the Judoka that fought chambers goes, I like him very much. He said he would like to keep the match at a stand up, which he did wonderfully, but when he was taken to the ground by Chambers he showed that he knew and was pretty proficient with ground techniques as well.

#350517 - 08/19/07 12:09 AM Re: Human Weapon Series [Re: IExcalibui2]
WhiteDragon11 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida, United States
I really enjoyed all but the end of the Judo episode. I thought the host did pretty good and had him. But the other guy used the rules as an advantage. Like having to get up after a certain amt of time.

#350518 - 08/19/07 12:35 AM Re: Human Weapon Series [Re: WhiteDragon11]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
yea i felt like that too, Chambers probably could have worked him on the ground but there probably wasnt enough time given to him.

#350519 - 08/19/07 06:47 PM Re: Human Weapon Series [Re: IExcalibui2]
thaikick Offline
Stranger

I have to say that Big Bill seems to be holding his own, while jason seems to be getting handled in every match. I think Bill should go into pride or K-1, maybe UFC, but he should fight Bob Sapp, two former footbal pro's, a true battle of the beasts.

I also have inside info that Big Bill get's to fight a former UFC heavywieght champion in the MMA show, I just don't know which one?

Edited by thaikick (08/19/07 07:05 PM)

#350520 - 08/19/07 07:14 PM Re: Human Weapon Series [Re: thaikick]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
Its the Samboist Fedro, Duff is going to get owned, in that UFC match. I think.

What I see in the Duff and Chambers comparsion is that when skill is needed, Chamber is used, when size can help you Duff is used. I personally think that the Karate guy didn't really fight him hard, he only punched his chest and kicked his thighs. No kicks to the head no sabuki kneeing and kicking. The savate guy didn't sweep him or circle him with his footword and work angles, almost like they were carrying him. He did hit him with two solid right hand that Duff took and kept going.

Duff is a big man, it takes time to chop down a big man. So I don't think that Chambers is falling behind.

In Chambers groundwork practice with the Judo guys, he was dominate, as a matter of fact in the match after he was thrown except for the Taioshi, he was working a submission from the ground immeadiately afterwards. It almost appeared that his ground work was superior, during practice.

Duff could almost muscle his way through some the smaller judoka, but it was impressive that the little 155lb Judoka held him down as long as he did.

I'd would have like to see Duff against the 230lb Judo Champ. Chamber looked like he is a skilled 170lbs guy.
And a fairly humble MMAer, I think he knows that he could have done better without the time limit on the ground.

I don't understand that because you can work groundwork in Judo as long as you are trying to make somethjing happen. What gives?

Edited by Neko456 (08/19/07 07:17 PM)

#350521 - 08/19/07 07:45 PM Re: Human Weapon Series [Re: Neko456]
thaikick Offline
Stranger

FACT: Chambers was handled in all three fights.

FACT: Duff has gotten two draws awarded to him from hometown judges in both fights.

Just a point

#350522 - 08/19/07 09:04 PM Re: Human Weapon Series [Re: IExcalibui2]
Isshinryukid4life Offline
Professional Injury causer

Loc: Knoxville.
Chambers, just was not good enough,plain & simple.

The skill of the judoka was way tomuch for chambers,& From what I saw the judoka was toying with him.

I'm sure this happens alot when someones MA Idol loses,But losing is much apart of the MA,is it not?

#350523 - 09/17/07 05:21 AM Re: Human Weapon Series [Re: Isshinryukid4life]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
I haven't even seen the show and have waited until NOW to even post on this thread. Thats primarily because I don't place a great deal of emphasis on watching martial arts documentaries where there are often biases and agendas.

Mark (Oldman) just provided a clip from youtube, which is the first I've seen of this series. I wish I had now gotten into it a bit more than I have, if only to better comment on it.

The bit I saw was Krav Maga. The clip was about dealing with a knife attack. The second was dealing with a gun (buried in your gut). Didn't care much for either but, I'm not a big fan of counter knife and gun disarms. I think that for the most part, people who teach such things are teaching exercises in futility. But I gotta check it out some more.

-John

#350524 - 09/17/07 08:46 AM Re: Human Weapon Series [Re: Isshinryukid4life]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
I read this on a private site as well. Word is, from someone who worked on that episode, that the Judoka treated him with kid gloves...'like a baby.'

I only watched two episodes (Karate and Savate) and decided to file it under 'pleasant diversion'. Fluff, 'gentlemen's rules' and picturesque. Okay for the masses...not much to glean for anyone serious.

Quote:

The skill of the judoka was way tomuch for chambers,& From what I saw the judoka was toying with him.

Page 8 of 13 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga