FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 10
AndyLA 5
cxt 3
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
Yesterday at 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
Yesterday at 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35570 Topics
432472 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 13 of 13 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13
Topic Options
#350565 - 01/02/08 10:41 AM Re: Human Weapon Series [Re: IExcalibui2]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

did anyone see the TKD episode??
something I noticed is that they like encorporating arts into an episode that arent the same art. For example, Hwa Rang Do. I definitely think that this art and TKD are separate and different. Tae Kyon, I can understand a little because it has many kicks and such which could have influenced the development of TKD, but whats Hwa Rang Do have to do with it?

The impression I got was that they were using the term TKD as an umbrella name for KMA (striking) & that it had evolved into a martial sport. So by looking at both TaeKyon & HwrangDo they were giving some historical background info. I was very disappointed with the contents of the show.

#350566 - 01/02/08 10:49 AM Re: Human Weapon Series [Re: VDJ]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Their history is off due to the huge amount of politics that surround TKD. There was no mention of General Choi or the ITF (which was not surprising). No mention whatsoever of the true roots from Shotokan (which did surprise me), but this has happened thru out the series as has been discussed on this thread. I still enjoyed the episode though. VDJ

I also wasn't surprised with the lack of reference to Gen Choi or the ITF, but found little fault with that approach. They did not make reference to any of the significant leaders of the post occupation period or any of the early Kwans. So in that respect it was somewhat balanced.
The feel I got was that TKD was used as an umbrella term. They concentrated on the sport that it has evolved into, with success with Olympic status. It then attempted to show MA SD training was alive & well in the Republic Of (south) Korea, but I took away that you had to go outside of sport TKD training to get it.

#350567 - 01/03/08 07:35 AM Re: Human Weapon Series [Re: ITFunity]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester United Kingdom
I totally agree with you regards TKD; I studied Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan and know this is Korean Shotokan, apart from Hyungs with Chinese Influence.

I feel that anything that is given its ‘SPORTS’ label is watered down.

Muay Boran became Muay Thai which became Western Style Muay Thai

Judo lost many of its techniques through becoming a 'Sport'

Karate has become Freestyle and Sport Karate - Kata to music, yeah right and I suppose Bunkai is practiced for the techniques too.

TKD has lost its edge. Olympic TKD is nothing like Traditional TKD. How many MA's would stand in a street confrontation with their arms dangling by their waist going bounce bounce bounce kick, bounce bounce kick etc. This is not TKD.

Anyway I watched the Pancraytion episode last Night in the UK, I think its repeated tonight.

I was actually impressed with Bill Duff. And I am glad he fought, Jason Chambers needs to be humbled.

From what I saw, I actually didn't see much difference, apart from the rules, between Pankraytion and Krav Maga or Systema etc.

Excellent Martial Art though. I wonder where the Instructors trained prior to Pancraytion.

I saw one Gym with Tang Soo Do and Kickboxing symbols around it and the instructor had the Tang Soo Do symbol tattooed on his left arm.

Next week the UK gets to see the Judo Episode

Ken

#350568 - 01/03/08 02:45 PM Re: Human Weapon Series [Re: ITFunity]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
Quote:

The impression I got was that they were using the term TKD as an umbrella name for KMA (striking)

That was what I was getting at, guess I forgot about the word umbrella. I thought it was rather hypocritical of TKD being effective if they have to look else where for techniques. For example, the kick they learned from the TaeKyon master pretty much exists in the TKD arsenal (spinning back kick?). They should have focused more on going around to TKD schools instead of other arts. But I guess they were going with a more with of a history and culture approach which would result in influences of TKD.

#350569 - 01/03/08 04:58 PM Re: Human Weapon Series [Re: IExcalibui2]
Sknives Offline

What surprised me was their attempt at only doing fancy kicks and nothing like a basic front kick or a roundhouse kick was attempted. I think the Koreans just assumed that the hosts would just know something basic like that? I also thought it was funny how when bill falls down you hear a bell sound like funeral music.

Anyone get the impression that there was some cultural tension? Like how during hwarang do the host pushed the master away while he was on one leg? Although I thought Bill was doing a little eye contact with that korean translator. Also the security guy calling bill fat was mean.

Page 13 of 13 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga