FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
futsaowingchun 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#348542 - 06/29/07 03:42 PM Re: POLL - Your self defense techniques [Re: olga]
jpoor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Fairfax, VA
That's a good point, and since you know what I look like this will sound really funny to you.

I sometimes still feel like the 5'11" 135 pound stick that I used to be. It feels really odd to hear someone call me a "big guy." I won't (if I can help it) give anyone a second run at me once it comes to violence. It still takes a lot to get me to launch (some would and have argued that it has taken too much on occasion).

For those who don't know I'm currently 5'10" (yes, I shrunk, blame it on the Army) 213 pounds, down from 245 a bit over 3 months ago.

Best,
Jim

#348543 - 06/29/07 03:43 PM Re: POLL - Your self defense techniques [Re: Kimo2007]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote by jpoor -

Quote:

If submission means "a move that in a competition would cause the opponent to tap out, but in the real world is carried through to the break/choke out, etc" then OK.

Exactly. They can submit......or not.

Quote by Kimo -

Quote:

Matt I am surprised you say AKK leaves people on the ground 40-50% of the time, I don't know a technique that leaves anyone standing ever. Either you drop them with a strike or throw them to the ground, at least in my experience.

Granted AKK is not my primary art so I could be wrong.

No, you are actually closer to how the techniques are intended. I was going by the techniques that have takedowns or knockdowns in them *specifically* as opposed to the ones where the opponent 'should' fall down from the vicious ass-whuppin'.

#348544 - 06/29/07 03:46 PM Re: POLL - Your self defense techniques [Re: harlan]
olga Offline
TKOlga
TKOlga

Loc: northern virginia
Quote:

Jeez, Olga. Would you break a guys arm just because he was looking to cop a feel?

Seems to me self defense is situational, and along a continuum. Can someone clarify...does 'self defense' only apply in life threatening situations? Then the only 'self defense' this guy had was situational awareness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7HtapvNyOo&eurl=

If I am cornered, cannot escape and no one can help me, and the guy is trying to cop a feel, then yes, I will "break his arm." Or try anyway. What would you do? Let him?

#348545 - 06/29/07 03:47 PM Re: POLL - Your self defense techniques [Re: MattJ]
jpoor Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

Exactly. They can submit......or not.

Does that mean you would give them a choice in a really truly SD situation?

Somebody jumps you, you are stomping them good, and they say "ok, I've had enough." Do you go through the "do I believe them thought process, or do you go until you know they are no longer a threat?

Best,
Jim

#348546 - 06/29/07 03:53 PM Re: POLL - Your self defense techniques [Re: harlan]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Jeez, Olga. Would you break a guys arm just because he was looking to cop a feel?

On one of our first dates, I came back from the toilet to find a hell of a commotion. A guy had groped Deni whilst she was at the bar, and she had flashed an elbow back managing to spread his nose all over his face! (even more impressive as she was on crutches at the time). I arrived just in time to see his friend helping him out of the pub, and to calm Deni down enough to placate the landlord and explain what had happened.
'Coping a feel' without a girls consent is also known as 'sexual assault', and is deserving of much pain and injury.

#348547 - 06/29/07 04:00 PM Re: POLL - Your self defense techniques [Re: jpoor]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

Does that mean you would give them a choice in a really truly SD situation?

Somebody jumps you, you are stomping them good, and they say "ok, I've had enough." Do you go through the "do I believe them thought process, or do you go until you know they are no longer a threat?

That would depend on the situation.

#348548 - 06/29/07 04:28 PM Re: POLL - Your self defense techniques [Re: harlan]
jpoor Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

Seems to me self defense is situational, and along a continuum. Can someone clarify...does 'self defense' only apply in life threatening situations? Then the only 'self defense' this guy had was situational awareness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7HtapvNyOo&eurl=

As for copping a feel, if someone is bold enough to invade your space that way, they are also likely to get violent when you resist.

I'm not sure the video is relevant as there was no SD at all.

Best,
Jim

#348549 - 06/29/07 04:42 PM Re: POLL - Your self defense techniques [Re: MattJ]
TroTro Offline

Leave the opponent standing or Leave the opponent on the ground? .... hmm

Very good question, MattJ. To be honest, I never think about it before, so I am not sure.

After a bit of thinking...

To me, it seems that leave the opponent standing means ending the fight (or self-defense) by giving the opponent a chance to walkaway; leaving the opponent on the ground is to end the conflict by disabling the opponent (from my striking-style MA training). Both methods of ending the situation seem to have their own merit.

#348550 - 06/29/07 08:39 PM Re: POLL - Your self defense techniques [Re: MattJ]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Difficult to answer.

The percentage of our syllabus that grounds the opponent could well be 100 percent. Knock-down or take-down, makes no difference to me.

It's hard to answer because I would always attempt to break contact and leave the scene.

If I happen to run away, that will probably leave him standing, so who knows.

-John

#348551 - 06/30/07 12:12 AM Re: POLL - Your self defense techniques [Re: Cord]
pathfinder7195 Offline

Loc: T.C Michigan, U.S
Quote by Cord
In one of our first dates, I came back from the toilet to find a hell of a commotion. A guy had groped Deni whilst she was at the bar, and she had flashed an elbow back managing to spread his nose all over his face! (even more impressive as she was on crutches at the time). I arrived just in time to see his friend helping him out of the pub, and to calm Deni down enough to placate the landlord and explain what had happened.
'Coping a feel' without a girls consent is also known as 'sexual assault', and is deserving of much pain and injury"

This is ridiculous. Next time I am in a bar and a girl cops a feel on my rear I'll be sure to smash her face with my fist to prove a point. Should I file charges against her to when the cops get there?. For "sexual assault". Bet I would be in jail.
Wow somebody male or female got groped in a bar what's new. It does not need to end up in a blood bath or broken arms. Out side of that cop beating the hell out of that female bartender, do you really hear about females being attacked in a bar all alone with no one there. More likely in the parking lot after the bar closes an attack would happen. Then I could see major force being used.
Better not go to any dance clubs because there is groping all over the dance floor. Grinding too!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga