FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 50 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Marcus Charles 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#348365 - 07/09/07 06:22 AM Re: What is a "real Aikido dojo"? [Re: eyrie]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All turning moves happen from the waist with both arms kept in front of my center, and end with both feet planted flat on the mat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your description is correct, then it would be an "external" movement in which movement is initiated from the middle - which I would hazard is incorrect. Rather, it should be the opposite, where the forces should originate in the feet, and the torso twists and spirals the force from the ground to your hands. IOW, the twisting and spiraling of the torso stores power from the ground (the point of origin) for the impending release at the hands (the business end).

Eyrie, I hope I didn't confuse Iaibear more by agreeing with him about his turning motions. I had "centered" movement on my mind when I posted, and while you're correct on "grounding", I think for the time being, he would be satisfied with simply being able to "get through the techniques". He simply sounded like he was having a very difficult time getting through the movements of techniques and needs a little confidence in them before getting the details right.

He practices sword work, so his body movements should be very close to what he needs in Aikido. For now, the external portion of it should help.

Just my thoughts...

#348366 - 07/09/07 10:24 AM Re: What is a "real Aikido dojo"? [Re: eyrie]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Loc: upstate New York
Quote:

<<All turning moves happen from the waist with both arms kept in front of my center, and end with both feet planted flat on the mat.>>

If your description is correct, then it would be an "external" movement in which movement is initiated from the middle - which I would hazard is incorrect. Rather, it should be the opposite, where the forces should originate in the feet, and the torso twists and spirals the force from the ground to your hands. IOW, the twisting and spiraling of the torso stores power from the ground (the point of origin) for the impending release at the hands (the business end).
===========
I could nit-pick that the move described clumsily above started from a (receiving) tenkan. The inside foot is the pivot and the outside foot would not plant until the move was nearly over.

BTW If <all the "warm ups" are tanren-ho> what are taiso? (Might have the spelling wrong. Not used to this computer.)

I looked at that glossary of terms. Red and yellow print on a mottled blue ground was not the easiest thing to read. Did find out about undo, tho.

#348367 - 07/09/07 12:51 PM Re: What is a "real Aikido dojo"? [Re: wristtwister]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

<<I think for the time being, he would be satisfied with simply being able to "get through the techniques". He simply sounded like he was having a very difficult time getting through the movements of techniques and needs a little confidence in them before getting the details right. >>

I was pretty well into 5th and 4th kyu techniques in the first dojo I attended. Three or four weeks and a new technique would feel quite comfortable and start getting smoothed out.

Since 2000, when I had to switch to my teacher's teacher, I have never seen a technique, only variations. They do not stick around more than fifteen minutes during class, never to be done that way again. Believe me, wristtwister, my sensei confuses me more than you ever could. You have brought some sense into what has become a passtime called "Aikido".

<< He practices sword work, so his body movements should be very close to what he needs in Aikido. For now, the external portion of it should help.>>

I am not a left handed swordsman; right handed only, not both sides. Muso Shinden Iaido is straight forward shoulders square, not circular. The butt of the sword is held one-fist in front of my tanden, not in front of my hip bone like the photos of Osensei. The stance is straight ahead or slightly pigeon-toed, not triangular with the rear foot toes out. It's a different breed of cat.

Once upon a time I fenced foil. A third breed of cat. They get in each other's way.

Once again, your concern and advice have been very reassuring. The idea of ikkyo as part of a set of related moves has already removed a lot of clutter. Thank you again. :-)

#348368 - 07/09/07 08:34 PM Re: What is a "real Aikido dojo"? [Re: wristtwister]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Point taken Grady, but I was writing under the assumption that iaibear is not a "noob"...

#348369 - 07/09/07 08:44 PM Re: What is a "real Aikido dojo"? [Re: iaibear]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

BTW If <all the "warm ups" are tanren-ho> what are taiso?

taiso is basically calisthenics or physical exercises. tanren is body forging. You can use taiso as a form of tanren - well... in as much as doing some physical exercises is a way to condition the body. But... there's a difference in merely performing a routine physical activity and "conditioning" the body in preparation for martial activity. The difference is in the focus - internal or external.

I would slow down the taiso exercises to taiji speed, and perform the activity without activating the major muscle groups and in many cases, using the breath to do the "heavy lifting".... if that makes sense?

#348370 - 07/09/07 10:43 PM Re: What is a "real Aikido dojo"? [Re: eyrie]
wristtwister Offline

I didn't think he was a "noob" either, but he's clearly having issues with terminology and (possibly) coordination of movements with that terminology. What he described was "correct" as far as his external movement was concerned for most techniques, and right now, instead of trying to change everything, he might just need to change the things he's having major problems with... the blending and "grips".

Both of us would have an easier time if we could show him, rather than describe it in words, snd he'd be miles ahead, but it is what it is... so I was just letting him focus on "upper body" movement for the moment. Once he gets that, he'll develop the feel of it.

#348371 - 07/09/07 11:10 PM Re: What is a "real Aikido dojo"? [Re: wristtwister]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Ah yes, the voice of experience... ... my bad...

Sometime down the track, he's going to go... "oh.. why didn't you tell me this before?!!"

Reminds me of the time I had to crawl thru the roof space to run Cat5 cabling to the other rooms in the house, and thinking, why the heck didn't I do this when the house was being built...

#348372 - 07/09/07 11:50 PM Re: What is a "real Aikido dojo"? [Re: eyrie]
wristtwister Offline

You could have my problem... a floor support that is trying to come up through my floor... which means the floor's sinking.
Pulling cat-5 is a snap compared to jacking up the house...

#348373 - 07/10/07 12:42 AM Re: What is a "real Aikido dojo"? [Re: wristtwister]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Funny that... the parallels between buildings and MA...

Sorry to get off-topic though, but it doesn't address the issue of what is a "real" aikido dojo.... although, I guess in a roundabout way it sort of does...

If the "foundation" of one's practice is some combination of AI and KI, then by inference, it must be "aikido", and the difference would be in the HOW of the DO?

#348374 - 07/10/07 07:18 AM Re: What is a "real Aikido dojo"? [Re: eyrie]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

<< Sometime down the track, he's going to go... "oh.. why didn't you tell me this before?!!" >>

Been there often enough to recognize what you just wrote. Pity is that "telling" is simply not done in this dojo. "Figure it out for yourself" is the "way".

I am not a noob but I might as well be. Should have started twenty years earlier.

Edited by iaibear (07/10/07 07:26 AM)

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga