FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#347837 - 06/20/07 10:30 PM sharp pain in elbow (from bjj)
pepto_bismol Offline
infinite kudos

You know the joint on your elbow that gets soar from a bjj lock? (parallel with the thumb when palm is facing down)

Well, It has been having a sharp pain every time I apply pressure for over 2 weeks now. I am even taking class off tonight (noooooo) just to let it rest.

Now, I don't know if it is tennis elbow or not, but I think that some people in this forum probably have some experience with this kind of thing, so I would appreciate it if somebody can tell me what they think it is, or what they normally do for soar joints (ice, heat, special ointment?)

I will be able to rest it tomorrow and friday (no classes) but am hoping to be better by sat.

that's just me being hopefull, so thanks for any advice.

#347838 - 06/21/07 10:29 AM Re: sharp pain in elbow (from bjj) [Re: pepto_bismol]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Sounds like you may have strained a tendon in your elbow. LET. IT. HEAL! They can take a while (weeks). Straining it again will take even longer to heal.

Be safe!

#347839 - 08/05/07 05:50 PM Re: sharp pain in elbow (from bjj) [Re: MattJ]
terry_asvr Offline
Stranger

Loc: mcdonough,ga
get a check up to make sure you do not have a tennis elbow to be safe because if you train with that problem that you could make it worst,train safe

#347840 - 08/05/07 06:39 PM Re: sharp pain in elbow (from bjj) [Re: pepto_bismol]
MastaFighta Offline

Loc: United States
Quote:

You know the joint on your elbow that gets soar from a bjj lock? (parallel with the thumb when palm is facing down)

Well, It has been having a sharp pain every time I apply pressure for over 2 weeks now. I am even taking class off tonight (noooooo) just to let it rest.

Now, I don't know if it is tennis elbow or not, but I think that some people in this forum probably have some experience with this kind of thing, so I would appreciate it if somebody can tell me what they think it is, or what they normally do for soar joints (ice, heat, special ointment?)

I will be able to rest it tomorrow and friday (no classes) but am hoping to be better by sat.

that's just me being hopefull, so thanks for any advice.

Use RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation).

Rest - This will keep your injury from becoming worse. This involves keeping yourself from doing any kind of activity that involves the injured area.

Ice - A bag of ice cubes, a bottle with frozen water, etcetera. Ice the injured area twenty minutes at a time, with twenty minutes between each icing. This will help reduce pain and minimize swelling (if there is any)

Compression - Wrap the injured area with a compression wrap. This restricts the increase of swelling in the injured area.

Elevation - This will allow gravity to push any waste (lactic acid for example) back into your body instead of pool in your arm. This allows waste to be properly disposed of. Make sure the injured area is elevated above your heart for it to be effective.

Don't return to class until the pain has completely subsided.

#347841 - 08/05/07 10:31 PM Re: sharp pain in elbow (from bjj) [Re: MastaFighta]
Mark_Jakabcsin Offline

Loc: Fort Mill, South Carolina
You could try RICE but I recommend you check out the following book first as I have found the advice far more helpful and comprehensive. (Cut from Amazon)

A Tooth from the Tiger's Mouth: How to Treat Your Injuries with Powerful Healing Secrets of the Great Chinese Warrior (Fireside Books (Fireside)) (Paperback)
by Tom Bisio (Author) "When I began to study martial arts some thirty years ago, I never imagined that practicing the fighting arts would lead me so far into..." (more)
Key Phrases: san huang san, sinew injuries, trauma pills, Eight Brocade Plus, Daily Dozen, Important Points (more...)

(19 customer reviews)
19 Reviews
5 star: (18)
4 star: (0)
3 star: (1)
2 star: (0)
1 star: (0)

See all 19 customer reviews...

Take care,

Mark J.

Edited by Mark_Jakabcsin (08/05/07 10:32 PM)

Mark J.

www.charlotte-systema.com

#347842 - 08/06/07 09:57 AM Re: sharp pain in elbow (from bjj) [Re: Mark_Jakabcsin]
MastaFighta Offline

Quote:

You could try RICE but I recommend you check out the following book first as I have found the advice far more helpful and comprehensive. (Cut from Amazon)

A Tooth from the Tiger's Mouth: How to Treat Your Injuries with Powerful Healing Secrets of the Great Chinese Warrior (Fireside Books (Fireside)) (Paperback)
by Tom Bisio (Author) "When I began to study martial arts some thirty years ago, I never imagined that practicing the fighting arts would lead me so far into..." (more)
Key Phrases: san huang san, sinew injuries, trauma pills, Eight Brocade Plus, Daily Dozen, Important Points (more...)

(19 customer reviews)
19 Reviews
5 star: (18)
4 star: (0)
3 star: (1)
2 star: (0)
1 star: (0)

See all 19 customer reviews...

Take care,

Mark J.

In my opinion, you should never recommend herbal remedies to someone. Sure, a lot of them seem to work, but they don't work for everyone. Plus, you don't know if someone is allergic to one of the contents of a remedy. Not to mention, I don't think a majority of people are willing to spend a handful of money on a book and herbs when they have cheaper/free alternatives.

#347843 - 08/07/07 12:06 AM Re: sharp pain in elbow (from bjj) [Re: MastaFighta]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
I'm old fashioned... if you have an injury, go see a doctor. If you suspect it's tendonitis, go to either an oesteopath or an orthopedic doctor and have it looked after.

I've had tendonitis from torn rotator cuffs in my shoulder, and it was almost impossible to cure, but my orthopedic doctor figured out what to do, and fixed it right. Like being your own lawyer, being your own doctor gives you a fool for a patient. Go see somebody that can fix the problem and is trained to do it.

You might as well get to know him on a first-name basis, too... because if you're going to have locked elbow armlocks put on you, you'll have this problem more than once. It's a long term injury, and just letting it heal until it feels better isn't an invitation to go do the same thing all over again. It takes healing... weight training... and time, as well as the icing, and wraps before it will get well, so plan to take some time to get well... or you can just learn to live with a lot of needless pain.

Tendonitis won't kill you, but it will sure make being alive miserable if you use your arms much.

#347844 - 08/07/07 10:38 AM Re: sharp pain in elbow (from bjj) [Re: wristtwister]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

Tendonitis won't kill you, but it will sure make being alive miserable if you use your arms much.

You got that right. My right elbow has flared up today like a SOB.

Very sore, and so random. Didn't even do anything that would bother it. Just ZAP! And OWWWW!!!!

#347845 - 08/07/07 10:04 PM Re: sharp pain in elbow (from bjj) [Re: MastaFighta]
Mark_Jakabcsin Offline

Loc: Fort Mill, South Carolina
Quote:

[In my opinion, you should never recommend herbal remedies to someone.

MastaFighta,
Fair enough but in my opinion it is unwise to voice an opinion from a position of ignorance. I recommended the book and still do. Herbal options are only a small part of the book, a part I personally have not tried. I recommended the book, and still do, because of all of the other valueable information and insight found in it, including an excellent section about RICE. Of course you would have to actually read the book to have a valid opinion, positive or negative, otherwise you are simply speaking from a point of ignorance as to what information is found with in it's pages. But then as a self proclaimed Masta perhaps the rules of logic are different for you.

MJ

Mark J.

www.charlotte-systema.com

#347846 - 08/08/07 01:42 AM Re: sharp pain in elbow (from bjj) [Re: Mark_Jakabcsin]
MastaFighta Offline

Quote:

Quote:

[In my opinion, you should never recommend herbal remedies to someone.

MastaFighta,
Fair enough but in my opinion it is unwise to voice an opinion from a position of ignorance. I recommended the book and still do. Herbal options are only a small part of the book, a part I personally have not tried. I recommended the book, and still do, because of all of the other valueable information and insight found in it, including an excellent section about RICE. Of course you would have to actually read the book to have a valid opinion, positive or negative, otherwise you are simply speaking from a point of ignorance as to what information is found with in it's pages. But then as a self proclaimed Masta perhaps the rules of logic are different for you.

MJ

My name was simply something I came up off the top of my head, and in no ways reflects me in anyway.

I apologize for my negative comments towards what you recommended. I wasn't aware that the book wasn't just about herbal remedies, though it seemed that it was. Once again, I apologize and I'll make sure it won't happen again.

I'll definitely check out the book you recommended though, this way I can formulate a valid opinion and maybe learn some things as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga