FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 54 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
Dobbersky 2
royal 2
ergees 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
Today at 06:52 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432377 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#347795 - 06/20/07 03:35 PM Effective SD Grappling
olga Offline
TKOlga
TKOlga

Loc: northern virginia
Since there has been so much talk lately about applying grappling in Self Defense, can someone qualified please find and post a few videos into this thread of some SD-effective grappling techniques? Something non-sport please.
I don't know much about groundwork, so I am very curious to see the other end of the spectrum.

#347796 - 06/20/07 03:45 PM Re: Effective SD Grappling [Re: olga]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
I'm afraid that I don't understand your question. Most grappling techniques are the same whether you do them in competition or in self defense. It is relatively simple to change the strategy from "I won't hurt you/sport" to "I'm going to wreck your world/SD" . The techniques themselves are going to be almost identical.

#347797 - 06/20/07 04:25 PM Re: Effective SD Grappling [Re: MattJ]
olga Offline
TKOlga
TKOlga

So most techniques are effective? Like what I would observe in a UFC match?
I just figured that some techniques worked better for SD and others for sport.

For example, in striking martial arts, something like a jumping spining back kick or whatever is probably not the best thing to use "on the street," but it is still a part of the style, only mainly it is reserved for competition. Some techniques are long-winded and complex, while others get right to the point.

What about something like this? It just seems like it's taking a long time and these guys are totally preoccupied with each other. What if this was a multiple attacker situation? Is either of them prepared to defend against the others?

#347798 - 06/20/07 04:29 PM Re: Effective SD Grappling [Re: olga]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Check out this video by Helio Gracie. Self defense and grappling ... excellent.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkv4d_key-ta-gracie-system

I agree with Matt, Self Defense, Competition, etc. ... there is such a fine line with very little differences. In most cases it comes down to ... I'm not stopping if you tap.

#347799 - 06/20/07 04:38 PM Re: Effective SD Grappling [Re: olga]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Hmmm..... I think I see what you mean. What you are seeing there is a grappling competition. Strikes are not allowed, and neither are multiple opponents, so neither of those factors weigh in this event. However, the actual positions and submissions are the same otherwise. Multiple opponents would be a problem anyway!

But I guess you mean something like this:

http://www.lockflow.com/article_view.php?id=254

Good control position that allows for submission or quick stnd-up.

#347800 - 06/20/07 06:05 PM Re: Effective SD Grappling [Re: MattJ]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Olga,

Follow this statement.

An armbar executed in a tournament setting, can result in a broken arm if, a "tap out" is not given.

That same armbar is the one you would use in a fight. Obviously you would not abide by the tournaments rules of engagement on the street and you would simply break the arm. Does that make it any clearer?

I don't know if I can make it any more OBVIOUS than that.

The choke renders unconsciousness. Can we all not see ANY self-defense application there? What about locks which break arms, shoulders, necks, legs???

No self-defense application there?

What about when you're taken down and mounted (sure, I know it can't happen to anyone on THIS forum, but play along please)?

Now all of that time you spent practicing those mount escapes, enables you to escape unharmed --- is that not self-defense training?

What about all of the experience you gain from grappling and learning how to defend from submissions? Is that not self-defense??

Folks, self-defense is a BY PRODUCT of your training! Why this isn't more obvious to people is baffling.

-John

#347801 - 06/21/07 01:18 PM Re: Effective SD Grappling [Re: JKogas]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Folks, self-defense is a BY PRODUCT of your training! Why this isn't more obvious to people is baffling.

Self Defense is a study unto itself that utilizes the training. But how and when to apply is an active process not a by product.

#347802 - 06/21/07 01:38 PM Re: Effective SD Grappling [Re: JKogas]
Eveal Offline
the freshmaker

Quote:

Olga,

Follow this statement.

An armbar executed in a tournament setting, can result in a broken arm if, a "tap out" is not given.

That same armbar is the one you would use in a fight. Obviously you would not abide by the tournaments rules of engagement on the street and you would simply break the arm. Does that make it any clearer?

The choke renders unconsciousness. Can we all not see ANY self-defense application there? What about locks which break arms, shoulders, necks, legs???

What about when you're taken down and mounted (sure, I know it can't happen to anyone on THIS forum, but play along please)?

Now all of that time you spent practicing those mount escapes, enables you to escape unharmed --- is that not self-defense training?

What about all of the experience you gain from grappling and learning how to defend from submissions? Is that not self-defense??

-John

Enough said! Great post John!

#347803 - 06/21/07 01:51 PM Re: Effective SD Grappling [Re: JKogas]
olga Offline
TKOlga
TKOlga

Quote:

Olga,

Follow this statement.

-John

John, you forgot to post some videos. Thank you for your post, but my question was not to define self-defense, I only asked to see some videos of effective technique.

Your mocking tone was unnecessary.

#347804 - 06/21/07 02:14 PM Re: Effective SD Grappling [Re: Kimo2007]
Xibalba Offline

Loc: Lansing, MI, USA
Quote:

But how and when to apply is an active process not a by product.

Hi Kimo.

Isn't the "how and when to apply [technique]" best learned via sparring resisting opponents? And, my impression is that some strictly "self-defense" schools don't necessarily practice sparring in a "live" context against resisting opponents.

Peace,
Mike

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga