FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#346547 - 06/12/07 12:08 AM "Cat-style" self-defense?
Tashigae Offline
Mister Bendy

Loc: Samarobriva, Gallia
A few years ago, my younger brother (23) and I had a habit of regularly going out in town at night to mess around, using the nightly, deserted parts of the city as our own little personal parkour terrain (“parkour” isn’t the right term for what we did but it’s the closest I can get), just trying to find funny and original ways to use everything the place had to offer for acrobatics or informal fitness practice. One thing we both enjoyed, and which my brother was particularly good at, was climbing up lampposts. Not only could he climb up most streetlamps really swift, but unlike me he could even climb them without using his feet, which means he could do it even with poorly suited shoes. We often wondered how worthy that would be as a self-defense method…
Of course, if the mugger has a gun, it’s definitely a bad idea. But in the area, the knife is usually the weapon of choice of most muggers. What do you think of this possibility? A band of gangsters approach, you just make a dash for the closest lamppost and put 20 vertical feet between you and them. From there, if anyone attempts climbing after you, it’s too easy to kick them off the post – and that’s not a height they’d want to fall from. You can safely call the police from here, or shout for anyone in the vicinity to do it for you if you have no cell-phone. They can outnumber you as much as they want, a whole army gathered at the foot of the post won’t make any difference (actually it would even make it funnier). If they want to throw anything at you, the unusual angle will make the throw rather awkward, and they have gravity right against them – which would take quite a lot off the speed and power of the possible hit. And if you’re at the top of the post, you can easily enough secure your position with one hand and have the required mobility to dodge, or block with the soles of your shoes.

So what do you think? Should we all start practicing running up streetlamps as the ultimate self-defense method?

#346548 - 06/12/07 03:28 AM Re: "Cat-style" self-defense? [Re: Tashigae]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
yes.

lets do that.

#346549 - 06/12/07 05:40 AM Re: "Cat-style" self-defense? [Re: crablord]
ThomsonsPier Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
Sounds fun. I can't help but wonder what's so difficult about the angle. though. I can throw over a lamppost with little effort, and a number of people throwing stuff in concert will create a wall of pain that's hard to dodge.

Besides, if I'm fit enough to monkey up a lamppost, I'm probably fit enough to run away.

War. It's fan-tastic!

#346550 - 06/12/07 06:49 AM Re: "Cat-style" self-defense? [Re: ThomsonsPier]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Then they decide to knock over the lamppost with up on it.

I can see it now; lamppost climbing for self-defense. I gotta tell you that I don't think many folks are going to start practicing this. Probably for a good reasons. Maybe you shouldn't either. But who knows.

-John

#346551 - 06/12/07 09:55 AM Re: "Cat-style" self-defense? [Re: JKogas]
jpoor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Fairfax, VA
How long can you hold on once you're up there?

Best,
Jim

#346552 - 06/12/07 11:38 AM Re: "Cat-style" self-defense? [Re: jpoor]
Tashigae Offline
Mister Bendy

Very long, once I reach the top. At mid-height would be another story, but we both have some background in climbing and don't feel any particular fatigue when staying there. depending on the type of post, we could even sit on top and stay virtually until we starve.

#346553 - 06/12/07 11:48 AM Re: "Cat-style" self-defense? [Re: ThomsonsPier]
Tashigae Offline
Mister Bendy

Quote:

I can throw over a lamppost with little effort, and a number of people throwing stuff in concert will create a wall of pain that's hard to dodge.

I'm sure of that, that wasn't my meaning; sorry for being unclear. What I wanted to say is, if you throw a stone at the ceiling, you can hit it very hard. But nowhere near as hard as you would if throwing at the wall instead, partly beacause of your position ("difficult" would be an overstatement, let's just say "less optimal") and mostly because of gravity. And a throw at the ground would hit even harder, which is why I wouldn't advocate "mole-style" self-defense.

#346554 - 06/13/07 04:07 AM Re: "Cat-style" self-defense? [Re: Tashigae]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

unless your being attacked by a dog, this idea is retarded.

#346555 - 06/13/07 05:50 AM Re: "Cat-style" self-defense? [Re: crablord]
Tashigae Offline
Mister Bendy

Crab, I’d be thankful for you not calling my younger brother “retarded”. In addition to his exceptional physical condition and monkey-like abilities, he should get his Master’s degree in biology shortly (for info, mine is in linguistic science). And although he has little martial training, he isn’t without experience since he has been through a self-defense situation where he successfully performed a gun-disarm – something he never learnt – before putting his attacker to the ground. I have confidence in his ability to make the technique we’re talking about work in many cases – although, admittedly, there’s always a risk factor (unknown presence of a gun, for instance).

As for your idea about using it in a dog-attack scenario, I think it’s particularly poor. The point of using a post is that you only have to outrun your pursuers for a short distance – say a hundred meters at worst – as opposed to “virtually through all town”; which would be a good thing for those guys with good speed but not too much stamina. But no matter how good your physical condition, you can’t outrun a dog for more than a few meters. And a dog can jump a lot higher than a man when it really wants to, which means that you remain a perfectly practical target for his bites during the first few meters of your climb (which takes just a few seconds, but a few seconds is more than what a dog needs to get there).

Now to get back on topic, my opinion is that this idea’s best use (if there’s any) would be to escape a mugger (the good thing with a mugger is, since he wants to scare you into complying, if he has a gun he will definitely let you know from the beginning). Once you’re sitting comfortably on the top of a 30 foot lamppost, the mugger looks so small you can hide his whole body from your own view with your foot. If you keep doing that, he can’t throw anything at you that won’t end stopped by the sole of your shoe. And if it’s nighttime (which is most probable for this kind of scenario), your attacker is brightly lit while you merely appear as a dark shape at the top of the post (at least with most types I’ve seen). Apart from the fact that he’s mobile and you’re not, he’s the perfect target if YOU have anything to throw at him (from this height, gravity alone would make the hit painful – any strength you put in it will add speed and force to it), while you’re not a very good one for him.

#346556 - 06/13/07 06:10 AM Re: "Cat-style" self-defense? [Re: Tashigae]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

sorry for offending you?

but seriously. This is a joke.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga