FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#345622 - 06/20/07 12:29 AM Re: Aikido: Effective Application [Re: eyrie]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Quote:

learning to hold and wield a long sword correctly is a function of effectiveness.

Sorry, that should read ..."learning to hold and wield a long sword correctly so as to inflict the appropriate amount of damage is a function of effectiveness."

#345623 - 06/20/07 01:41 AM Re: Aikido: Effective Application [Re: eyrie]
aikidonut Offline

I am asking for other's opinions. I read what you said, and to comment on your comments would be to go off topic.

in both throws , i take 2 steps each about 5 feet wide, and the the last step ends with a slide step of the rear foot, a common tai sabaki (foot technique )from the bokto ( sword ) movements. So I was trying to use the ground, as you said.

if the throw wasn't pretty, the proof was in the pudding,it did move my uke,the 220 pounder ( how much is that in stone?) who, I guarantee, will not fall/let alone breakfall for you if not definitely motivated in that direction. Also, he was grabbing on to my gi during the breakfalls, a common practice in aikido ( the one i do ), and if nage's not keeping his center, nage will FALL down with uke,or lose his gi.

But,..I admit, I am an upper body kind of person, you're right,I could move more from the center.

And, Yes, I agree with your comments about the sword and aikido. Shihonage ( four directions throw, I'm mentioning that for other's benefit, not yours, i know you know..)is the most obvious technique in which you could place a sword in nage's throwing hands, rather than an uke, ..you can see it in the bo-kata, 13 moves ( you know , the one that goes "thir- tee-eee-een"), ( cutting the corners of the room, ending with a large tenkan circular sword move ) . I could video that for MattJ , if he wishes. It is a move detailed in Saotome sensei's book.

Mark

#345624 - 06/20/07 02:46 AM Re: Aikido: Effective Application [Re: aikidonut]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

I am asking for other's opinions. I read what you said, and to comment on your comments would be to go off topic.

No, this is your reply to me...

Quote:

wrt to your statement about my empty hand technique, look at my second video on http://youtube.com/watch?v=g-jNVPJ3uuA ,at 1:00-1:05, me doing irimi nage from tsuki on a large sandan,220 lbs of muscle. go ahead. and , I'd like the others' opinions too.

I'm really trying to be "nice", Mark, but you don't seem to take positive or negative criticism too well, unless it's a pat on the back. Perhaps that 4x2 on your shoulder is obscuring your view...

Quote:

in both throws , i take 2 steps each about 5 feet wide, and the the last step ends with a slide step of the rear foot, a common tai sabaki (foot technique )from the bokto ( sword ) movements. So I was trying to use the ground, as you said.

Well, your idea of "using the ground" is not what I meant. I meant use the ground to power the technique - like funekogi. When you're in transition, it is difficult to maintain your balance and connection to the ground. Any slight shift in directional force acting on you can easily topple you. It is this precise reason that faster, harder attacks are easier to deal with than slow, static ones. Think about it.

Quote:

If the throw wasn't pretty, the proof was in the pudding,it did move my uke,the 220 pounder ( how much is that in stone?) who, I guarantee, will not fall/let alone breakfall for you if not definitely motivated in that direction. Also, he was grabbing on to my gi during the breakfalls, a common practice in aikido ( the one i do ), and if nage's not keeping his center, nage will FALL down with uke,or lose his gi.

I've already said this, it's not whether the technique looks "pretty" or not. If anything, real techniques never look pretty. So, let me take it down a couple of notches so you can dissect your own technique and look at ways of improving it, both from an effectiveness and efficiency perspective. Would that be OK with you?

Firstly, it's one step too many, and too big a stride. 5 feet in 2 steps equates to 2.5 feet per stride. BTW, I'm taking your word for it that it is 2 steps of 5 feet, rather than reviewing the vid again. Try timing your entry so you're taking one step of a 1 foot stride, that will place you squarely right inside his maai just as he is stepping forward.

A 220lb person is going to be really hard to move if you clash with his momentum head on, which IIRC, is what you were attempting to do. Instead, step off the line of attack slightly and time your entry to catch him just before he plants his forward foot.

This way, he's almost standing all his weight on one foot, which will make it easier to obtain kuzushi as you redirect his momentum up and over to the rear corner. He should in effect feel like he's run into a jello brick wall. Even if he grabs your gi, you *should* still remain standing and with feet firmly planted. Although it can be quite challenging to support 220lb hanging off you unless you've train to do that.

Also, rather than relying on shoulder strength to effect the kuzushi, try using a funekogi motion forward and down. That way you are utilizing your whole body weight to add to the throw.

Now, does that make sense?

All martial arts are about positional advantage and contest for the line, which involves a whole range of things, least of which has to do with "technique" itself. Technique is simply what happens when you get all the other factors right - position, timing, angle, breathing, posture, etc. etc.

How you get there is thru the "basics" - and by that I don't mean kihon waza. I mean even simpler than that...

#345625 - 06/20/07 09:32 AM Re: Aikido: Effective Application [Re: eyrie]
aikidonut Offline

That's fine, I understand.
I thought I said that already , about staying centered, but you made the point again, and that's fine. yes timing is important. your criticisms have been read, and understood. Thank you for your time and effort.

I am not belabouring anything. everyday is a clean slate.
My only request still,is that you put up a video of your explanations, it would clarify your points especially funekogi, for some of us.
and certainly you bring up some good points which would emphasized well.

#345626 - 06/20/07 07:14 PM Re: Aikido: Effective Application [Re: aikidonut]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

That's fine, I understand.
I thought I said that already , about staying centered, but you made the point again, and that's fine. yes timing is important. your criticisms have been read, and understood.

What no questions???? I don't think you do understand what staying "centered" means. I know you can sort of do it, but do you understand what's actually involved in staying centered? Maybe try explaining what you mean.

Quote:

I am not belabouring anything. everyday is a clean slate.

Was it never a clean slate??

Quote:

My only request still,is that you put up a video of your explanations,

Which part of "I do not have a video" did you not understand?

Quote:

it would clarify your points especially funekogi, for some of us.

First tell me what you understand of funekogi, its purpose and how you do it....

#345627 - 06/20/07 10:04 PM Re: Aikido: Effective Application [Re: eyrie]
Ames Offline
Veteran

Well guys, this thread is going in circles at this point, so I'm going to have to lock it now. I may unlock it for future generations, but for now it's getting nowhere.

Start a new thread on any unanswered questions you may have (such as funekogi etc.)

Edited by Ames (06/20/07 10:05 PM)

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga