FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
AndyLA 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#345582 - 06/15/07 02:02 PM Re: Aikido: Effective Application [Re: jude33]
aikidonut Offline

Hey , Jude ( I always wanted to say that)

thanks for your post, i would train there everyday to if it wasnt for my job and family.. more later.. I love muay thai , I think its fast, and really forces the person to stay in good shape, real good shape.

#345583 - 06/15/07 07:43 PM Re: Aikido: Effective Application [Re: aikidonut]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Hey , Jude ( I always wanted to say that)

thanks for your post, i would train there everyday to if it wasnt for my job and family.. more later.. I love muay thai , I think its fast, and really forces the person to stay in good shape, real good shape.

So we can slowly forget about the bruised ego bit and just
train huh?

Look forward to hearing about your progress particuler with the break fall practice. Forward break falls are hard to do huh? I hate them. Been reading about the founder of aikido in a book they published with photos of his techniques. Heavy reading.

Jude
Stay in touch bro
Jude

#345584 - 06/15/07 10:48 PM Re: Aikido: Effective Application [Re: jude33]
aikidonut Offline

Jude,

yeah! hey thanks man.
I finally think I know why everyone got so upset about the bruised ego.. ( I've been raked over the coals so many times on that i got 3d degree burns)....

when I said "bruised ego, I meant that i did not want to cause my uke/partner to have even a reason to have a bruised ego, i was not referring to myselfj, I try not to have an ego to begin with, and I've been knocked around in dojos quite a bit , kicked in the abdomen, dislocated my arm twice, got thrown into the floor by a nidan , then he wouldn't let me do the same to him..but i did not walk away from that, just stuck with it, and now we get along fine. he showed me how to throw someone with kotegaeshi into the mat,that's all...

I think there's a thread on this forum, "throw me hard, but respect me"..I say, throw me hard, and I'll throw ya hard right back. No umbrage taken. We both shall learn from any amount of resistance, hardness, etc...

so really , if there's anything i shouldn't be accused of is having an ego. I've just been through a divorce, and lemme tell you, that leaves you with no ego ( and almost no money, but there's freedom) please, i've been through enough to be accused of having an ego. forget about it, as you said, let's move on...

i know wristtwister said not to be polite, in my practice, but I don't want to be impolite either...I am my own i deal with that, the ukes deal with it. that's to be natural. I only said to avoid a" bruised ego" because i want everybody to stay in aikido who comes to the dojo. I dunno , it's not worth discussing my comments to that degree.

about the forward breakfalls, I've gotten so used to 'em I prefer to do them now. breakfall out of shihonage is tougher than out of kotegaeshi, and in my dojo, it's more of a milestone than getting your yellow belt. now , a backward breakfall, like the one out of tenkan irimi nage, that you see Adam doing is even harder, because, if it's done with speed, you gotta kick out in front and voluntarily fall backwards , in the air. we had one class where we did 100 breakafalls, that was painful! but it got rid of any fear of falling! Sensei calls those clsses "flying lessons"!

can you breakfall out of shiho nage, or do the "kickout" tenkan irimi nage? maybe I'll show that on another video, how I breakfall out of shihonage. and you can all tell me what you think

so, Jude, may the road always rise up to greet you in your travels.

Be well

Mark

#345585 - 06/16/07 02:39 AM Re: Aikido: Effective Application [Re: wristtwister]
aikidonut Offline

(Edited by Ames)

Edited by Ames (06/16/07 02:23 PM)

#345586 - 06/16/07 06:47 AM Re: Aikido: Effective Application [Re: aikidonut]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

(Edited by Ames)

Edited by Ames (06/16/07 02:19 PM)

#345587 - 06/16/07 09:38 AM Re: Aikido: Effective Application [Re: aikidonut]
A.J. Bryant Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN USA
Quote:

The other high ranking aikidoka in my video is Adam Pilipshen, 3d Dan, who receieved his fukushdoin/menkyo kaiden ( teaching license ), and was Sensei Hagihara's uchi deshi for a good number of years.

Mark,

Are you sure about the "menkyo kaiden"? I think what you mean is fuku-shidoin menkyo, or "assistant instructors license", which is about 3rd-dan in the Aikikai shogo structure. The term "kaiden" literally means complete transmission of an art.

#345588 - 06/16/07 10:55 AM Re: Aikido: Effective Application [Re: A.J. Bryant]
aikidonut Offline

My apologies for the error, that was the one word i didnt check.

gotta run ,

Mark

(Edited by Ames, to keep this thread on topic.)

Edited by Ames (06/16/07 02:15 PM)

#345589 - 06/16/07 02:08 PM Re: Aikido: Effective Application [Re: aikidonut]
Ames Offline
Veteran

Guys this thread is drifting WAY too far off topic. The question that started this was: 'Are these drills good for Aikido?'

This thread is about 1)What is effective Aikido? 2) What training methods help to nurture this? 3) What methods ditract?

Anymore personal attacks, or thread drift in general and I'll have to lock it.

--Chris

#345590 - 06/16/07 05:40 PM Re: Aikido: Effective Application [Re: Ames]
aikidonut Offline

My apologies, Chris, for this thread getting off topic,so, as was suggested I started a new thread, " my school's aikido lineage"...everyone please visit it if you can and let's continue the discussion!

mark

#345591 - 06/16/07 10:34 PM Re: Aikido: Effective Application [Re: aikidonut]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Quote:

i know wristtwister said not to be polite, in my practice, but I don't want to be impolite either...I am my own i deal with that, the ukes deal with it. that's to be natural.

What I said was that we are always telling students "you're being too polite"... What that means is that your uke doesn't have to extend himself at all to keep up with the technique, and you're being laid down as gently as a baby.

If you remember in the movie "Enter the Dragon", there was a moment when Bruce Lee was telling the student "emotional content, not anger"... this is pretty much the same thing. Train with intensity and purpose or don't train...

I'm always polite in class to everyone, but that doesn't mean I won't plant you like a tomato stake in the mats doing a technique... it's two entirely different things. If I'm "laying you down", it's because I don't think you have the ukemi skill to take the technique... pretty insulting, if you ask me. If you throw me hard, it has to be one of two scenarios... you're mad, or you think I have the skills to protect myself when thrown.

What most Aikido players lose sight of, is that there is a difference in ego and a "high level of skill". You can't have an ego doing technqiue, for blending is "combining" with your attacker. If your ego is too small, you cheat the technique... if it's too large, you slam your partner unmercifully... if there's no ego, you blend, and combine with him to flow through the technique to it's conclusion.

Being too polite has nothing to do with conduct... it has to do with "emotional content" in the technique. If it's missing, then the techniques will suck pond water.

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga