FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
ergees 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#345552 - 06/06/07 09:39 AM Aikido: Effective Application
Viator Offline

I'd like to say first that I'm not trying to flame. Some recent discussion with Aikidonut and mild arguing with Oldman has made me consider looking into aikido or at least broadening my knowledge of it.

Looking on youtube reminded me of an old drill I'd seen, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QreuuPm24UI, where two Aikidoka were attempting to work against striking. I'd like to know the forums opinion on the drill. Personally I have reservations stemming from the quality of the "boxer," but I like the direction that the drill points in.

Second, how many people in the forum spar regularly and at what level of intensity? Do you exclusively work against aikido techniques or is there an attempt to involve other styles? Note that when I say involve other styles, I mean spar against them, not drill against them ala http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc92c9p2nhw&mode=related&search=

Lastly, how many have cross trained in other styles and how do you consider them to mesh with aikido?

#345553 - 06/06/07 11:40 AM Re: Aikido: Effective Application [Re: Viator]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Loc: upstate New York
Spar?

#345554 - 06/06/07 11:55 AM Re: Aikido: Effective Application [Re: iaibear]
Viator Offline

Spar, attempt to simulate fighting and technique application in a free form and randomized environment. Different from a demo in that neither party has prior knowledge of exactly which techniques will be used by the other. Full randori, to use judo's sense of the word. Aikido is often defended as a purely defensive art, but surely one partner would be willing to take an attackers role in sparring for the sake of learning, as in the boxing video above.

Edited by Viator (06/06/07 11:57 AM)

#345555 - 06/06/07 01:11 PM Re: Aikido: Effective Application [Re: Viator]
Ames Offline
Veteran

I liked that first drill as well. As for the quality of the boxer, it was alot better than the over commited attacks that seem so common place in the TMA world in general.

I've known many Aikidokas who have had a friend put on boxing gloves and used tai sabaki to evade. You just have to pass through the begining stages first (against those commited punches). It's the same with knife work, at some point it needs to get a bit more realistic. I think you wouldn't have trouble finding a partner interested in these kinds of drills, assuming you'd spent enough time on the mat learning your basics.

--Chris

#345556 - 06/06/07 02:58 PM Re: Aikido: Effective Application [Re: Viator]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

Looking on youtube reminded me of an old drill I'd seen, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QreuuPm24UI, where two Aikidoka were attempting to work against striking. I'd like to know the forums opinion on the drill. Personally I have reservations stemming from the quality of the "boxer," but I like the direction that the drill points in.

Very interesting! Good find, viator. I haven't seen that before.

#345557 - 06/06/07 03:47 PM Re: Aikido: Effective Application [Re: MattJ]
Viator Offline

you might enjoy the rush drill then too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGJCl6IS_xQ

I found them lurking bullshido a while back. The boxing clip was divided between those who thought it was a good step and would develop better and those that thought that unless they got a better boxer it was delusional and possibly dangerous.
I came down in the former camp, with reservations. They could use some lessons from Pernell Whitaker ( www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G5v_PNsl4Q ) on how to dodge a punch.

#345558 - 06/06/07 03:53 PM Re: Aikido: Effective Application [Re: Viator]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

you might enjoy the rush drill then too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGJCl6IS_xQ

I like this one, too. I would fall into the first (Bullshido) camp, as well. May not be perfect, but at least they are trying.

#345559 - 06/06/07 09:14 PM Re: Aikido: Effective Application [Re: MattJ]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
I liked the techniques against kicks, and I found a randori clip on one of the other links, but what's missing in most of those is intent. It's clear that nobody was attempting to do much to anybody with either the attacks or the techniques, and while I don't mind a little mindless movement practice, training should reflect a seriousness of purpose. You don't have to knock somebody out to punch with intent, or cause a concussion with your shomenuchi, but it should reflect some element of risk to both parties if you're to develop technique in either the attack or the defense.

A good attack will make you move differently than one that's half-a$$ed that wouldn't hurt if it hit you. I spent almost a whole class with one of our students tonight on that very thing, and he understands now the difference.

"Get out of the way, or I'm going to hit you" has a different meaning than "I'm going to strike at your head"... and if the intent is clear, then you will reflect it in your effort to defend and evade.

Where people make a big mistake in "fighting from grips" in jujutsu, is that they don't do anything but hold on, so there isn't anything to the technique to disarm it. If the guy is grabbing your wrist and trying to punch you in the face, your focus changes... as does his when you apply a solid technique rather than "walking him through it".

There's a real difference between "learning a technique" and "learning a fighting technique"... and it's focused on the intent of your application. If it's to slam the guy into the floor, use an uke with good ukemi skills rather than "walking somebody through it" to practice. If your students need ukemi skills, then throw them at a level they can keep up with, and keep increasing the "heat" on it until they have good skills... but don't cheat the technique to turn the burner down on the technqiue being applied. Simply do the technique in a more controlled manner and let off at the end to match their falling skills.

#345560 - 06/06/07 10:49 PM Re: Aikido: Effective Application [Re: wristtwister]
Viator Offline

The kicking video is the one I like the least because although the techniques look cool practically none of them would actually work. The one around :19 in particular makes my wrist hurt just thinking about it.

Everytihng else you said essential summed up the reservations I had about the drill. No real follow through, no full extension, because the boxer isn't good enough to know how to pull his punches and still move quickly.

#345561 - 06/07/07 01:18 PM Re: Aikido: Effective Application [Re: Viator]
aikidonut Offline

Howdy! found yuz guys again!

yeah, watched the rush drill,.. i agree, found myself wanting to try it, only one thing, which i left a comment on,... those black belt/hakama wearing guys should be dropped down a coupla levels, maybe 3d kyu ( blue belt ) in my dojo..... sorry to be so direct, but that the truth

btw, in my place, you will be tested with ukes using strength, like the rush drill, only they won't knock u down,... if u dont do technique right, the black belts ( shodan and up ) are so well centered, that nothing will push 'em over..and tey'll be standing over you after you have lost balance trying to throw them.if u do the technque right, they have no choice but to fall , and if you do it right and hard, they have no choice but to breakfall out of it....but you will not be tested like that so openly on the mat to the point of being pinned, because of the loss of face which would cause u to practice in the wrong way next time..... ie a bruised ego gets in the way of good practice...something that is easy to say , hard to really learn and put into practice....

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga