FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#343694 - 05/27/07 07:53 PM Re: Flexible weapons [Re: MonkeyLegs]
Armed_Man_Piker Offline

Loc: East Coast U.S.A.
Quote:

That makes sense. It's similar to many other armies of the same time. How would these items become known today as weapons?

There's practically an entire subculture devoted to the more fantastical weapons of Asian martial arts (of which the Chinese styles seem to have a monopoly on), and it should be noted that this subculture has nothing to do with real fighting, but with performance art--i.e., modern wushu competition, Wuxia-genre films (aka "Wire-Fu"), and so on.

#343695 - 05/28/07 01:17 PM Re: Flexible weapons [Re: Armed_Man_Piker]
shadowkahn Offline
anti-stupid crusader

Now, all those items definitely exist, but it would be rather silly of an archaeologist 2000 years from now to dig them up and assume that they were what we went to war with wouldn't it.

Same thing with all the fantasy weapons from the ancient Chinese - sure they existed, but I'll eat my hatte if they're what people used in actual battles.

#343696 - 05/28/07 02:18 PM Re: Flexible weapons [Re: shadowkahn]
jpoor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Fairfax, VA
One major difference is that the "weapons" pictured above were produced in single (or very few) numbers as novelty items.

Now there are certainly mass-produced fantasy weapons, but I don't know that those under discussion here fall into that category. How they were actually used... I don't know.

Best,
Jim

#343697 - 05/28/07 10:38 PM Re: Flexible weapons [Re: jpoor]
Tashigae Offline
Mister Bendy

Loc: Samarobriva, Gallia
A few seconds of cogitation should be enough for anyone to work out why flexible weapons such as the rope-dart, chain-whip, meteor-hammer, section-whip, etc. aren’t fit for equipping a “unit”. The soldiers of such a unit would have to be put in EXTREMELY lose formations, and every soldier would have to take extra care not to get too close (and “too close” here is still quite a distance) to any of their buddies lest they should get both their weapons tangled and immediately turn two highly trained warriors (for mastering any of those weapons takes at least two years of daily training, which is more than any special unit in the world get before their first deployment) into two useless victims. Definitely not practical for military use.
Which doesn’t mean those weapons aren’t practical for ANYTHING. It just means they were probably civilian weapons. Sword-canes were a hugely popular weapon in the 19th century, but they were never used by any military unit. They were meant mostly for personal protection. Many firearms are NOT meant for military use, but for a variety of other specific agendas such as law enforcement, VIP protection, self-defense, hunting, competition, etc. and they’re all practical for their particular field of use, although not necessarily so for war (a particularly striking example is the HUGE difference between a military sniper rifle and a police sniper rifle: a police-specific one is nothing short of unfit for military use, and a military one is a poor choice for law-enforcement).

In the Chinese traditional arsenal, there’s a very clear border between military and civilian weapons. Even some of the most classical weapons, namely the jian (straight sword) or the dao (sabre) both exist in military and civilian versions, clearly distinguished from each other by the shape of their blade.

However, the huge amount of training required to master a flexible weapon also makes it unfit for just self-defense of common people, or as a weapon used by low-life ruffians. They’re clearly weapons of people who fought by trade, but were not soldiers either. Chinese history offers a number of such categories, one of the most common being “biaoshi”, fighters hired to protect convoys from bandits, a profession in which many famous martial arts masters could be found. They might have been users of flexible weapons.

Just a few ideas, of course I might be mistaken.
&#25991;&#27494;&#38617;&#20840;

#343698 - 05/29/07 11:37 PM Re: Flexible weapons [Re: Tashigae]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
I could see the old English mace and chain as a "flexible weapon" as well as the kusuragama... one for "battlefield" and one for ... well, whatever. My take on flexible and throwing weapons has always been that you're telling your adversary... "here, grab this"... or "here, throw this back at me". That's why I could never find much of a use for shuriken. They might work, but if you miss, your opponent has something to throw back.

We used to tell people that we had a college rivalry one time, and the university that was our adversary had all their people come over and throw fireworks at us... they got mad because we lit them and threw them back...

#343699 - 06/01/07 08:26 AM Re: Flexible weapons [Re: wristtwister]
MonkeyLegs Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Quote:

The soldiers of such a unit would have to be put in EXTREMELY lose formations, and every soldier would have to take extra care not to get too close (and “too close” here is still quite a distance) to any of their buddies lest they should get both their weapons tangled and immediately turn two highly trained warriors (for mastering any of those weapons takes at least two years of daily training, which is more than any special unit in the world get before their first deployment) into two useless victims.

That's what I was thinking too. The space needed to operate one of these weapons might be not be practical.

Quote:

Which doesn’t mean those weapons aren’t practical for ANYTHING. It just means they were probably civilian weapons.

At the time when these weapons might have been used could there have been some kind of weapons ban on military grade weapons?

Quote:

My take on flexible and throwing weapons has always been that you're telling your adversary... "here, grab this"... or "here, throw this back at me".

This must be why the Romans made their javelins unusable once imbedded in a shield.

The little that I have played with these kinds of weapons I have found they often bounce back in unexpected ways. Is this just because of my inexperienced handling of the weapon or is this the nature of them?

ML

#343700 - 06/13/07 02:44 PM Re: Flexible weapons [Re: MonkeyLegs]
SRitchie Offline

Loc: Thurmont, Maryland
I don't have any links to history but I have worked out and had a bit of training in Rope/sash. These would typically be the cloth belts worn as part of the clothing. From my experience while with practice they can be effective they do take a lot of pracrtice to use efficiently. Out of 2 dozen or so techniques I have in notes there are only 1 or 3 that I have found IMHO to be really effective. One of them is simply using the loose ends to whip and slash at an attackers face and eyes. This of course only serves to give you an opening to move in and finish with either hands or a strangulation attack with the rope. It is an interesting weapon to train with but not one I would use as anything but a very last resort.

#343701 - 12/27/08 03:01 AM Re: Flexible weapons [Re: SRitchie]
meteorhammer Offline

Loc: forest ontario canada
flexible/soft weapons is a group of Chinese/Japanese weapons consisting of: Rope Dart, Meteor Hammer, Three-Section-Staff, Flying Weight, Nunchaku, Chain Whip & Two-Section-Staff

Most of them are descended from farming tools or inspired by them in feudal Japan when civilian were prohibited to possess weapons, so they made their own. Seeing as most were very concealable, and they were newly invented, they couldnt be classified as weapons. Once they became popular and more well-known, warriors used the as a back up weapon if their primary weapon(s) were no longer available.

I have sparred with friends used a meteor hammer and it was nearly impossible to *block* most of my throws and attacks with the sword he was using, but if you are quick enough, and with practice you can dodge some attacks.

another time when i was sparring my friend who was also familiar with the meteor hammer, it was a pretty evenly matched fight, the rope did tangle once or twice, but i was ready for it and let go of the rope and defeated him with a back-up meteor hammer from my pocket.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga