FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#341992 - 05/16/07 03:44 PM Re: Possible fight at a park [Re: pepto_bismol]
shadowkahn Offline
anti-stupid crusader

I had planned on letting this one drop, but now you're actually talking to us instead of hurling idiotic insults, so we'll give it another shot.

Quote:

sof, I just assumed that such politically correct advice is most likely from an inexperienced man,

Who said anything about politically correct? Since when did being smart enough to try and avoid getting the crap knocked out of you become mere political correctness? If you mean that my response to your question was typical of the experienced martial artists on this board, and therefore wasn't a new and innovative thought that I gave you, well, I guess I'm guilty. But then, the fact that what I said is typical of the experienced martial artists on here, should probably tell you something.

Quote:

because what is politically correct and what works is not always the same thing.

That's true, but when you have 4 guys trying to decide whether or not to beat the hell out of you, it's much less likely that hurling insults at them will avoid a fight than if you simply kept your mouth shut.

Quote:

"you were stupid, you should be kicked out of your dojo"

You *were* stupid, and if your dojo found out about it they should certainly discipline you.

Quote:

and I thought that sounded a bit harsh, and an experienced fighter and/or streetwise person would know that it is hard not to mouth off against aggressors.

An experienced fighter would be able to control himself.

Quote:

you were just trying to make yourself feel more like a crusader against stupidity rather then a martial arts brother trying to help.

You got me there. I do crusade against stupidity. Stupidity happens to be a pet peeve of mine. And just because you happen to take karate, does not make you a martial artist, nor does it automatically make you a member of the "brotherhood" of martial artists any more than my owning a motorcycle would automatically make me a Hells Angel.

Martial arts is a way of life - a way of life which includes the maturity and discipline not to smart off at street hoodlums.

Quote:

And I hate it when people get in to a "righeous crusader" mode... because everybody has their own imperfections, even the crusaders.

True enough, and I certainly don't claim to be perfect. However, you seem to want people to couch their advice in syrupy sweet tones, or better yet, to tell you how great you are for brilliantly deciding to antagonize a car full of idiots. All I can say to that is, welcome to the real world pal. You claim to be street wise and to have experience beyond your years. OK, we'll take you at your word, but in the adult world if you screw up, you're going to hear about it - especially if you ask for feedback on the screwup - and what you hear may not be what you want to hear.

Quote:

Both shadows posts and your posts stated the obvious politically correct answer that was always in the back of everybodies mind (so I assume)

It apparently wasn't very obvious to you because you did not do it.

Quote:

I was just hoping for a more in depth conversation then that.

How much more in depth do you want to go? You acted the fool. We told you that. I really don't know where else to take that train of thought without beating it into the ground. If you have specific questions as to why it's incredibly stupid to yell insults at a car full of idiots who are throwing rocks at you, by all means ask them - -although we really shouldn't have to explain this to you.

Edited by shadowkahn (05/16/07 03:46 PM)

#341993 - 05/16/07 04:37 PM Re: Possible fight at a park [Re: shadowkahn]
pepto_bismol Offline
infinite kudos

shadow, I should be disciplined for retaliating?

ha, kind of silly

EDIT:

now that I have more time to write, I can respond to your post more thoroughly. The reason I believe that people go on crusades is because they are insecure about there own weaknesses and have to badger other people for others.

Was it stupid to Irritate a few thugs? Maybe it was "stupid" for those thugs to Irritate me

Shadowkahn, The idea of being "disciplined" for retaliating sounds of so very stupid that I can't even dumb myself down enough to entertain the thought.

Shadowkahn, is stupidity a pet peeve of yours because you are smart enough to realize that you are stupid?

#341994 - 05/16/07 05:10 PM Re: Possible fight at a park [Re: pepto_bismol]
GriffyGriff Offline
Good Egg,

Loc: Earth
Quote:

shadow, I should be disciplined for retaliating? ha, kind of silly

Shadow and SOL.
I think you may be p*ssing against the wind on this one.
He is obviously entrenched within his behavioral pattern.
He may or may not ever get it!

Here is a little song for you all:

Ahem.....

Down in the meadow in a little bitty pool
Was one little fishy and his mommy fishy too
Swim! said the mommy fishy, Swim if you can!
And he swam and he swam right over the dam

cho: Boop boop dittum dattum wattum, choo (3x)
And he swam and he swam all over the dam (repeats last line)

Stop! said the mommy fishy, You'll get lost!
But the little ol'e fishy didn't want to be bossed
So the little ol'e fishy set off on a spree
And he swam and he swam right out to the sea

Whee yelled the fishy, oh here's a lot of fun.
Swim in the sea 'til the day is done
So he swam and he swam, it was all, a lark.
'Til all of a sudden they saw a shark.

Whoa(?) cried the fishy, oh look at the whales
Quick as he could he turned on his tails
Back to the pool in the meadow he swam
And swam and swam back over the dam.

#341995 - 05/16/07 05:51 PM Re: Possible fight at a park [Re: pepto_bismol]
Emsanon Offline

Loc: Washington, USA
Quote:

Assault with a deadly weapon vs. my one insult... who was the one being stupid?

If someone is looking for a fight, then yes, an insult could set them off. I remember back when I was in highschool, I saw someone get stabbed just because they leaned over and moved another students school papers. It wasn't even an insult and the guy was stabbed. And no, the school I attended did not have a bad reputation. It was a good school located in a good part of town. It was kind of odd seeing that aggressive action for something that caused no harm to the other individual. There's just too many crazy people out there.

#341996 - 05/16/07 06:05 PM Re: Possible fight at a park [Re: Emsanon]
Dauragon c mikado Offline

Loc: Oxford, England
"Punished by your dojo"? The words of a asia-phile if I ever heard them.

#341997 - 05/16/07 06:09 PM Re: Possible fight at a park [Re: pepto_bismol]
jpoor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Fairfax, VA
Quote:

shadow, I should be disciplined for retaliating?

ha, kind of silly

EDIT:

now that I have more time to write, I can respond to your post more thoroughly. The reason I believe that people go on crusades is because they are insecure about there own weaknesses and have to badger other people for others.

Was it stupid to Irritate a few thugs? Maybe it was "stupid" for those thugs to Irritate me

Shadowkahn, The idea of being "disciplined" for retaliating sounds of so very stupid that I can't even dumb myself down enough to entertain the thought.

Shadowkahn, is stupidity a pet peeve of yours because you are smart enough to realize that you are stupid?

Here we go with the name calling that will get this thread locked down for sure.

#341998 - 05/16/07 09:40 PM Re: Possible fight at a park [Re: Dauragon c mikado]
pepto_bismol Offline
infinite kudos

Quote:

"Punished by your dojo"? The words of a asia-phile if I ever heard them.

My thoughts exactly, and no, I am not calling him stupid as an insult. I am just giving him an oppurtunity to look within himself, because I noticed that people develop what I would call a "righteous complex" based on their own insecurities. He said it was stupid for me to curse at the attackers, but if shadow was as smart as he seems to think he is, then he would realize that it is hard to just "keep walking" is it stupid to stand up against aggressors?

Well, I guess that all depends on your own ethics and virtues.

Is it "stupid" to get angry when provoked and attacked?

Well who am I to judge what is stupid and what is not? After all, why should I consider myself so smart? I don't openly insult people's intelligence very often, online or in real life. If they made a dumb move, then I have to realize that there are other factors to consider, people's emotions, people's physical condition (late and tired), their enviroment, etc.

It was late, I was tired and agitated, and I didn't want to deal with any crap. Simple as that. Just thought I would share the story, and I thought it would boil down to how america's youth has become so aggressive and out to prove themselves for whatever reason, not because I was wrong for mouthing off a bit.

I have the freedom of speech, they don't have the freedom to throw rocks at my head. So, hell... I don't think my statements were that "stupid" after all. You know, I doubt they were packing anything, and who knows how tough they really are, they deserved more then just a few insults. What if I had been walking through the park with a gun? Those thugs could of been killed.

If anybody was stupid, I would have to say it was the spoiled rich kids.

#341999 - 05/16/07 10:12 PM Re: Possible fight at a park [Re: pepto_bismol]
jpoor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Fairfax, VA
Quote:

Is it "stupid" to get angry when provoked and attacked?

Nope, not at all. However, getting drawn into an otherwise avoidable situation because of anger, (or any other emotion) might not be the wisest choice.

Then again, I tend to let things go too far before I engage (as noted in a thread I started a few weeks ago).

Having been in harm's way and making the choice of kill or not more than I would like, I'm not going to get physical over ANY words that aren't accompanied by a physical, credible threat. Were the rocks enough to cross that threshold? I wasn't there so I can't say, but based on your description of the accuracy, probably not.

Is it really that hard to "just keep walking?" For some yes, for others, not so much.

Best,
Jim

#342000 - 05/16/07 10:52 PM Re: Possible fight at a park [Re: jpoor]
Spade Offline

Loc: Auburn, Al.
Quote:

heap praise upon him for being a jackass to a bunch of jackasses.

Quote:

He'll either grow out of this dumbassery naturally

Quote:

and to know that it is a very special kind of stupid to mouth off to people who are looking for trouble.

Quote:

had planned on letting this one drop, but now you're actually talking to us instead of hurling idiotic insults,

Quote:

I think you nailed it here, sir. What we have here, folks, is another punk kid that thinks he's some sort of street rambo, and will resort to baseless, and frankly laughable, insults against any one of us who does not immediately bow down to him,

For someone who is as smart as you, Id imagine you could find a better way to educate someone then by insulting them.

Pepto, you shouldn't have yelled back them, if they really wanted a reason, you gave it to them.

Four people is no joke.

If you, now after the incident feel that your pride was on the line, then next time it happens DO something about it, and see if it turns out any better then just walking home.

No one likes being attacked, physically or verbally, but if you are truly the better man in the situation, you won't be phased by anything they have to say.

Notice how everyone who replied in this thread (well nearly ) replied with an insult of some kind, even me.

We all might learn a thing or two by keeping our tempers down and our thoughts clear.

#342001 - 05/17/07 12:03 AM Re: Possible fight at a park [Re: Spade]
pepto_bismol Offline
infinite kudos

Quote:

Pepto, you shouldn't have yelled back them, if they really wanted a reason, you gave it to them.

We all might learn a thing or two by keeping our tempers down and our thoughts clear.

Thanks spade, that is the kind of educated response I was expecting from this forum.

I gained more then I could have hoped for from this thread, and I actually appreciate the contributions of everybody, including those who I do not agree with.

If a similar situation occurs again, then I probably wont do anything unnecessary to provoke the aggressors. I also agree that four people is no joke

Still, those kids should have some bad karma coming their way, and their gang mentality is very disturbing.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga