FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 70 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
Jeff_G 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#340405 - 05/08/07 10:46 PM Actually striking the person
WhiteDragon11 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida, United States
Today I was sparring against this guy in class. I would always attack and end up being the person getting hit, inside the little room we had to fight. If you do spar and do mostly kungfu, you know how you get really close and just fight like that.
Does anyone have any tips on what to do when your there? And for that matter can anyone give tips on kicking someone when they bring their knee up to block. Only way I could kick them was by punching first up high to distract them.

#340406 - 05/09/07 06:03 AM Re: Actually striking the person [Re: WhiteDragon11]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Not sure I understand your first question- are you asking about general tips or specific techniques. As a general rule, when on the inside you shuold try and trap your opponent's attacking limbs- say in a clinch, and at the same time free up one of your own.

As for the second question, punching high is a very good way to open up low kicks. You can also try them as someone comes forward- often they don't have their weight set properly so they can't bring the knee up fast enough.

#340407 - 05/09/07 06:38 AM Re: Actually striking the person [Re: Supremor]
WhiteDragon11 Offline
Veteran

First question is just general, or specific whichever you have.
Yeah when we get close I try to get something open but I end up letting down my guard so I have to work more on that.
And I can really counter when they attack, because being the new guy I have to attack. The other guy waits for me to attack, but I would like to learn how to attack better anyways so it is good.

#340408 - 05/09/07 12:32 PM Re: Actually striking the person [Re: WhiteDragon11]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

because being the new guy I have to attack.

?????????????

You do? I don't understand that. If you prefer to be a counter-fighter, then make the opponent come to you. No law says you "have to" attack all the time. Know when to do either.

#340409 - 05/09/07 12:51 PM Re: Actually striking the person [Re: MattJ]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

?????????????

You do? I don't understand that. If you prefer to be a counter-fighter, then make the opponent come to you. No law says you "have to" attack all the time. Know when to do either.

I can see what WhiteDragon is saying there. Generally the seniors in the class allow new guys to come forwards and attack. It helps build confidence for the newer guys, instead of just walking all over them. I know I let the new guys have pretty much free reign when I spar them, just putting together a couple of slow combinations so they can get used to guarding.

I'm also noticing that everybody's letting me throw them around in my judo class to which I'm new. You must remember people deliberately leaving options open for you when you started BJJ, I know they are when I do groundwork.

#340410 - 05/09/07 01:04 PM Re: Actually striking the person [Re: Supremor]
jpoor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Fairfax, VA
In a lot of traditional schools it is proper for junior to attack senior when working drills etc. I haven't heard of it carrying over into free sparring though.

#340411 - 05/09/07 04:00 PM Re: Actually striking the person [Re: jpoor]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Well I'm not talking about it being a rule of free sparring, just an act of courtesy for me to help out the new guys to gain some more confidence.

#340412 - 05/09/07 07:42 PM Re: Actually striking the person [Re: Supremor]
WhiteDragon11 Offline
Veteran

Thanks,
Yeah they just want you to be confident. Seniors do that most likely out of courtesy, yes, and just their attacking might make you be in fear of getting hit.

#340413 - 05/09/07 10:59 PM Re: Actually striking the person [Re: WhiteDragon11]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
If your the one pressing the attack, then just make sure you attack in multiples. Use combinations of 5,6,7 instead of 1,2 or 1,2,3.

A true counter fighter is very skilled because they can read and anticipate their opponents attack furthermore they have the knowledge of which tool or technique to respond with. In Olympic style taekwondo the most basic of counter attacks is. Stepping back one and immediately attacking with a rear leg roundhouse kick. This is the first of the basic counter attacks.

Understand that TKD is a mid to long range fighting system, so if your going to counter with a kick it is generally understood by the fighter that they will be at a safe distance in order for the kick to land.

Not only is that counter a very good one for sparring, but is a very good move for a self defense scenario. Particularly against an untrained assailant. Wait for the attack, step back once, and immediately kick the assailants knee, groin, or stomach. If your kick is strong and generally a TKD stylist has powerful kicks, that should end the situation long enough for you to run and get away. Ofcourse you always have the option of following through with more attacks but why risk it.

So there you are, I now haave given you your frist counter attack drill. Stand in front of your opponent at arms length. Wait for them to either attack with a rear punch or a rear kick, step back once and immediately counter with a rear roundhouse kick of your own to either their face or their stomach.

Tip: The most important element in this drill is timing and judgment of distance. You must learn to read when your opponent will attack. For me, I tend to look at my opponenets shoulders, because with a person punches or kicks they move their shoulders first. Some people tend to look at the opponents eyes. While not as significant as watching the shoulders watching an opponenets eyes does have some merrit. Sometimes...usually begginers tend to look at an opponenets body [art before they attack, if you catch your opponenet looking low, he is probably going to attack low (stomach, groin, legs) if he looks at your face, you can assume he will attack high. Looking at their shoulders is probably your best bet.

Now that you can read when your opponent will attack, now it's about distance, when you step back only do it once, if he comes in with a 1 or 2 techniques you may take another step back in order to avoid the second attack. But when you step back make sure you judge the distance between you and your opponent you do not want to step to far out of range, this will nullify your attack...and that is not what you want. Step back just far enough so that you are out of his range and within your kicking range, that way your counter kick will work.

Now one more important thing is your timing. Once you step back, you must immediately counter, there is no time for hesitation. If you stall on your kick you will freeze and leave yourself open for attack. You must commit to the attack. As soon as you step back, immediately counter with your kick. before you give them a chance to recover. Remember the best time to attack is when your opponent is at their weakest and the weakest time is in them middle of their attack, because they are off balance for a moment. This is why you step back and counter immediately to catch them off balance for that brief moment.

One last thing, never take more than two steps back, if you do you show that your attacks have no conviction and that you are afraid. Even if you are not afraid you have now given your opponent a mental advantage, you have given them confident in themselves and have therefore made them twice as dangerous. So good luck and practice hard. And let us know how this works out for you.

Vinci

#340414 - 05/10/07 06:37 AM Re: Actually striking the person [Re: TeK9]
WhiteDragon11 Offline
Veteran

Thanks Tek I will try that more and see how that works. I have kungfu tonight so maybe we will spar. Sounds like a good counter, and I will make sure I look at the shoulders.
Also, I have to put in more strikes when I attack. I do about 3 but I should do more.

#340415 - 05/12/07 07:03 AM Re: Actually striking the person [Re: WhiteDragon11]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
Glad I could help.
Vinci

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Supremor, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga