FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
AndyLA 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#340140 - 10/25/07 11:01 AM Re: Nunchucks [Re: harleyt26]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Here?

http://kimowall.netfirms.com/photogallery10.htm

(PS. Is Bill Steigner your sensei? Don't know him, but heard he was in some kind of accident. I Hope he recovers fully.)

#340141 - 10/25/07 04:26 PM Re: Nunchucks [Re: harlan]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
Which one are you (in the photos)?

#340142 - 10/26/07 01:02 AM Re: Nunchucks [Re: hedkikr]
harleyt26 Offline

Loc: Summerfield,Florida U.S.A.
First photo I am third from right,on Kimo Wall sensei's left.Fourth photo I am in the green shirt,far right.Bill Steigner is my karate sensei,he teaches me primarily Isshinryu and some Goju Ryu(Kanei lineage).Kimo Wall teaches Goju Ryu(Higa lineage)They both teach Matayoshi weapons,I play with a little of their weapons but my primary art is Ryu Kyu Kobudo,Tesshinkan.I do not pursue rank in karate I just enjoy collecting,comparing and training.Tamayose Hidemi sensei has started teaching me his Shorin Ryu(Nakamura Seiyu lineage)also.

#340143 - 10/26/07 07:14 AM comparing styles [Re: harleyt26]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Just say 'the big guy'. LOL!

Lucky you: kobudo seems to be more available in the South. I've only been studying P/T for 4 years now, and just now getting around to really 'seeing' other kobudo.

#340144 - 10/26/07 09:12 AM Re: comparing styles [Re: harlan]
harleyt26 Offline

Harlan if you are studying kobudo in the Kimo Wall lineage you are"hooked up" his knowledge of Matayoshi weapons is at the top of what is available.He has taught me his Guwa kata and Chizikunbo kata.These weapons are not in the Tesshinkan syllabus so they do not conflict with what I do.I also do the Isshinryu version of the bo kata Tokomine no Kun because it is also not in the Tesshinkan syllabus.I enjoy the variety of my training but I do not want to compromise my kobudo technique with trying to maintain several versions of one kata.I have been training in the martial arts for about twenty five years now so I can seperate styles to a certain extent but maintaining several versions of one kata can be very difficult.I have learned four different versions of Seisan and find it very easy to put techniques from one style in the version of another style.That is OK if you are just doing kata for excercise but it compromises the particular lessons and applications being stressed in those kata by the different teachers.Multiple styles or versions of one kata can become overwelming to maintain very quickly.

#340145 - 10/26/07 09:29 AM Re: comparing styles [Re: harleyt26]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Reply much appreciated. Can't tell you how confusing it is for a beginner in Goju to see so much variation via the internet. After awhile, I decided to stop looking, as I felt it was actually undermining my focus on one teacher/style/lineage. I've no interest in 'kata collecting'...and it's hard enough to keep straight the 'interpretations' of even one kata, say Shishoshen or Saifa, within a school.

Quote:

Harlan if you are studying kobudo in the Kimo Wall lineage you are"hooked up" his knowledge of Matayoshi weapons is at the top of what is available.He has taught me his Guwa kata and Chizikunbo kata.These weapons are not in the Tesshinkan syllabus so they do not conflict with what I do.I also do the Isshinryu version of the bo kata Tokomine no Kun because it is also not in the Tesshinkan syllabus.I enjoy the variety of my training but I do not want to compromise my kobudo technique with trying to maintain several versions of one kata.I have been training in the martial arts for about twenty five years now so I can seperate styles to a certain extent but maintaining several versions of one kata can be very difficult.I have learned four different versions of Seisan and find it very easy to put techniques from one style in the version of another style.That is OK if you are just doing kata for excercise but it compromises the particular lessons and applications being stressed in those kata by the different teachers.Multiple styles or versions of one kata can become overwelming to maintain very quickly.

As for quwa, I refused to learn it for 3 years. My teacher found it amusing that I consider it 'barbaric'.

Really like that Chizikunbo kata, and personally find it very challenging mechanically and intrigueing. So...Goju...but not Goju.

#340146 - 10/26/07 10:33 AM Re: comparing styles [Re: harlan]
harleyt26 Offline

Fortunately Isshinryu only has eight empty hand kata,Sanchin,Seisan,Seunchin,Wansu,Chinto,Kusanku,Naihanshi and Sunusu.Steigner sensei has also taught me his Goju Ryu kata,Saifa,Shisoshen,Tensho,Gekisai dai Ichi,Seipai and Sanchin.Kimo Wall sensei has taught my group Gekisai Dai Ichi with six bunkai,Saifa and Seiunchin with bunkai,and his Higihoa drill.I have also had a few opportunities to train with Dan Smith sensei(he lives in Atlanta and his mom lives in Tampa so he comes right past our area occasionally) in his Seibukan kata Seisan,Onuncue and Passai,he also teaches a different Matayoshi weapons(Itakasu lineage).And Two years ago my kobudo sensei Tamayose Hidemi started teaching my group his Shorin Ryu we have learned Fukyu ichi,Fukyu Ni,Pinan Shodan,Pinan Nidan,Pinan Sandan and Naihanshi.Kimo Wall,Dan Smith and Bill Steigner sensei's are all good freinds and my group has had the good fortune to be in the right place at the right time.For the Tesshinkan training our closest sensei is in Chiliwack,B.C.,Canada and Tamayose sensei lives in Ozato,Okinawa,so we have had to travel quite extensively to learn it.But occasionally they come to us.In two weeks Donald Shapland sensei and his wife Nori,from Chiliwack, will be here to train us in kobudo.This summer Tamayose sensei is scheduled to come here.Kata collecting was certainly not my intent but when one of these sensei with such a wealth of knowledge offer to teach I feel obligated to learn,

#340147 - 10/26/07 10:44 AM Re: comparing styles [Re: harleyt26]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Thankfully, 'empty hand' kata doesn't require a big investment in gear. If Kimo Sensei was to offer a workshop in quwa...I'd have to show up with your garden variety of hoe...and make do.

Don't know what I would do for Timbe workshop? Knife and straw hat????

Quote:

Kata collecting was certainly not my intent but when one of these sensei with such a wealth of knowledge offer to teach I feel obligated to learn,

#340148 - 10/28/07 01:30 AM Re: comparing styles [Re: harlan]
harleyt26 Offline

I do not have a quwa either,when he taught me quwa I was at Russ Smiths house.Russ sensei had made several wooden models of the tool.Come to my dojo Kimo sensei left a Matayoshi style Tinbe a Rochin for us to keep there.In Ryu Kyu Kobudo we use the turtle shell and short spear type.Besides Steigner sensei nobody at my dojo knows what to do with the Matayoshi one.

#340149 - 10/28/07 02:15 PM Re: comparing styles [Re: harleyt26]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Cool you've met Mr. Smith.Yeah. Russ, 'Gojumaster' was nice enough to point me to a Japanese distributer of quwa. It's a Japanese version of the American 'eye-hoe'...which for some darn reason I can't find anywhere anymore!

Afraid I can't get out of work this Sunday, so I'm not going to make it the Sunday/Nov. 4th event in Boston. Be sure to take pics...always nice to see a FA.com member in action.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga