FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 50 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Matakiant 3
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
Martial News
by Matakiant
Today at 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Martial News
by Matakiant
Today at 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35576 Topics
432496 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#340130 - 05/30/07 01:31 PM Re: Nunchucks [Re: Reiki]
bocutter Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I live in Toronto, Canada and I make ... but first:

Possession of nunchaku is illegal in Canada, not just Toronto. A search for "nunchaku law canada" gave me, among other things, a link to Canada Gazette, a government publication.

REGULATIONS PRESCRIBING CERTAIN FIREARMS AND OTHER WEAPONS, COMPONENTS AND PARTS OF WEAPONS, ACCESSORIES, CARTRIDGE MAGAZINES, AMMUNITION AND PROJECTILES AS PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED
<snip>
PART 3
PROHIBITED WEAPONS
<snip>
3. Any instrument or device commonly known as "nunchaku", being hard non-flexible sticks, clubs, pipes, or rods linked by a length or lengths of rope, cord, wire or chain, and any similar instrument or device.

There is mention of the definition of Prohibited Weapons being under Criminal Code subsection 84(1) but I can't seem to find that document. I'm not sure but IIRC possession of a prohibited weapon is punishable by up to 5 years in jail.

As my club contact, Sensei G, put it, "Nunchaku are not allowed. You may not have them in your dojo, nor in your home, nor in your gym bag, nor in your anywhere ... period. That being said you could come up to the dojo some time and watch some police officers suit up and have at each other.".

I make bo, eku, and tonfa. I do not make nunchaku. Only if requested by a sensei will I make individual sticks with rope attached. It is possible to loop 2 sticks together and disassemble for transport.

Edited by bocutter (05/30/07 01:44 PM)

#340131 - 10/14/07 06:57 PM Re: Nunchucks [Re: bocutter]
angrycrow Offline
Stranger

Quote:

I live in Toronto, Canada and I make ... but first:

Possession of nunchaku is illegal in Canada, not just Toronto. A search for "nunchaku law canada" gave me, among other things, a link to Canada Gazette, a government publication.

REGULATIONS PRESCRIBING CERTAIN FIREARMS AND OTHER WEAPONS, COMPONENTS AND PARTS OF WEAPONS, ACCESSORIES, CARTRIDGE MAGAZINES, AMMUNITION AND PROJECTILES AS PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED
<snip>
PART 3
PROHIBITED WEAPONS
<snip>
3. Any instrument or device commonly known as "nunchaku", being hard non-flexible sticks, clubs, pipes, or rods linked by a length or lengths of rope, cord, wire or chain, and any similar instrument or device.

There is mention of the definition of Prohibited Weapons being under Criminal Code subsection 84(1) but I can't seem to find that document. I'm not sure but IIRC possession of a prohibited weapon is punishable by up to 5 years in jail.

As my club contact, Sensei G, put it, "Nunchaku are not allowed. You may not have them in your dojo, nor in your home, nor in your gym bag, nor in your anywhere ... period. That being said you could come up to the dojo some time and watch some police officers suit up and have at each other.".

I make bo, eku, and tonfa. I do not make nunchaku. Only if requested by a sensei will I make individual sticks with rope attached. It is possible to loop 2 sticks together and disassemble for transport.

my karate school is very illegal in this case
we've got every dangerous weapon you can name, all real

#340132 - 10/14/07 10:38 PM Re: Nunchucks [Re: angrycrow]
harleyt26 Offline

Loc: Summerfield,Florida U.S.A.
I take them through Customs at the border twice a year to training seminars in B.C.,unstrung of course.That is all they require at the crossing.I would suspect a business may get into some trouble shipping them into Canada but an individual/friend should have no problem sending them to you unstrung from the U.S.I have a friend in Canada that makes the original horse bridal style(megu nunchaku),their appearance is different enough that they do not look like what a nunchaku is normally thought of.If interested contact me through personal e-mail tom@ocalatesshinkan.com I will give you his e-mail address.I don't want to cause him problems with this issue by publicly posting his info.He also has students in Toronto that train kobudo,nunchaku included.Please provide me with your age and your sensei's name as well as your own.It would help if all martial artists would stop referring to kobudo training devices as weapons and start referring to them as Okinawan or antique farming tools.When I travel I carry my equipment in a large canvas tool bag purchased at a local hardware store.When asked what is in the bag I can respond with"tools"and not be lying.After all I really am not planning on going into combat with them. Tom

#340133 - 10/17/07 12:12 PM Re: Nunchucks [Re: harleyt26]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
I bought my 1st pair in Hawaii, cut the cord & brought them back in 2 bags (1977). I was aware that owning nunchaku is a felony so I made certain that aside from practicing @ home, I only took them out @ the dojo.

But in reality, if you learn Nunchaku, it's only for the art's sake. Arnis is more practical.

#340134 - 10/20/07 09:00 PM Re: Nunchucks [Re: hedkikr]
harleyt26 Offline

Hello hedkikr,are nunchaku a felony in southern California or did you live somewhere else in 1977?I live in Florida and the law enforcement here have no problem with them unless you use them for illegal puposes.My group actualy trains kobudo one saturday each month,in a different public park each time.We have a relatively small group and use this this to draw attension and hopefully increase our numbers with interested onlookers.Several members of the local police force have stopped many times to watch us train with bo,sai,tekko,nunchaku,tonfa,kama,eku and tinbe and rochin.But I will say that we do not normally walk around in public carrying our weapons,except to go train.On our last trip to Canada(October 2007)a freind few into Vancouver with his weapons,they kept his Tekko but let him keep everything else including his nunchaku.

#340135 - 10/23/07 12:09 PM Re: Nunchucks [Re: harleyt26]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
Possession of Nunchaku in California was the same as possession of brass knuckles, shuriken & sawed-off shotguns. In 1977, the list included switchblades & the catagory was considered a felony offense.

Today PC12029 lists Nunchaku (& the other weapons) as a nuisance, subject to confiscation & destruction but the Atty General may seek to bring charges based on the intent & number of weapons for sale or in possession.

Kobudo weapons in a licensed dojo, being transported to or from a dojo (or exhibition, I suspect - being an extension of the dojo) are exempt.

(too mich info?)

#340136 - 10/24/07 09:29 PM Re: Nunchucks [Re: hedkikr]
harleyt26 Offline

Not too much info,its good to know these things.Myself being from an area where the laws are either more lenient or not as stringently inforced,I need to know this type of thing.I do travel quite regularly and do not want problems.I thought this type of regulation was in other countries.I know one should not walk around carrying weapons on the street.But I did not know that they were so strict in this country.I am scheduled to do a weapons demonstration in Boston in November,does anyone know if there are certain weapons I should reconsider taking?The people organizing the event have not mentioned any restrictions on the weapons we listed.As a matter of fact we had made several sets of Tekko to take along for sale along with brochures of all the other weapons that can be ordered from us.

#340137 - 10/24/07 10:13 PM Re: Nunchucks [Re: harleyt26]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
I think that Sansetsu Kon fall under the same laws as Nunchaku (here in Massachusetts).

BTW: when and where in Boston will the event be held? I'm thinking of (finally!) visiting Boston Kodokan around the same time...and might make a day of it. PM me if you prefer.

Thanks!

#340138 - 10/24/07 10:37 PM Re: Nunchucks [Re: harlan]
harleyt26 Offline

November 4th at the Reggie Lewis Athletic Center.The World Martial Arts Federation is having a tournament(I was told to expect 600-700 competitors)and has invited myself and three of my training partners to demonstrate traditional Okinawan kobudo.The Tesshinkan is a fairly young organization(it was founded in 1999 after Akamine Eisuke,of the Hozon Shinko Kai, passed away)and we are trying to generate interest in it in the U.S.A..We will arrive Saturday afternoon and will return home to Florida Sunday evening,But I would love to meet at the event if that works for you.We will have a table or booth setup with info about us. What and where is the Boston Kodokan?

#340139 - 10/24/07 10:53 PM Re: Nunchucks [Re: harleyt26]
harleyt26 Offline

Hello Harlan,I just Googled Boston Kodokan.Kimo Wall sensei is a friend of mine,he just spent a week at my home and trained a few times a my dojo about a month ago.On his website my dojo is on photo page ten.Do you study Goju Ryu?I study Isshinryu mainly but my sensei is also a Goju Ryu sensei so I do some of both styles.I think we may have a few friends in common.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga