FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#339875 - 05/06/07 04:27 AM Best Way?!?!?
Z498 Offline

I was wondering as a Black Belt I have many moves if I ever need to defend myself from someone at school or somewhere else. But I was wondering what would be the best technique to take someone down in a fight at school. Someone who dosen't know martial arts but just uses fists, I think a double jab then a backhand followed up with some fast roundhouse,push,and side kicks, but I just want to know some other peoples opinions.

Also what if the person is alot taller then you, what would be the best course of action.

#339876 - 05/06/07 05:47 AM Re: Best Way?!?!? [Re: Z498]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Quote:

But I was wondering what would be the best technique to take someone down in a fight at school. Someone who dosen't know martial arts but just uses fists, I think a double jab then a backhand followed up with some fast roundhouse,push,and side kicks, but I just want to know some other peoples opinions.

Whatever suits the particular situation. There are general aspects of a fight that make some techniques, if not impossible to use, very risky indeed to use. Flying kicks and high kicks(although the high roundhouse is sometimes an exception) are the techniques that are really not a good idea to use.

As for techniques that do work, well that depends on what you're comfortable with. Personally I love using the jab, cross combination followed by a low roundhouse, or one to the groin or a front snap kick aiming for the same areas. I personally don't like the backfist much, but that is mainly a personal issue with it.

What I would suggest you don't do, is the double jab, backfist combination. The backfist doesn't have enough power in it, unless it is a spinning backfist, to actually do much damage. Ideally after doubling up your jab you want to throw something powerful- like an overhand right, a hook or a straight cross. The jabs remember are used to set up your opponent, so if you're doing them right you should be able to manoeuvre your opponent into getting hit by the big shot, even if the jabs do not hit. Of course, that's easier said than done!

Quote:

Also what if the person is alot taller then you, what would be the best course of action.

Same as you would with a smaller guy. The difference is that you want to get in close to a big guy, however don't just charge in, you have to look for your opponent to throw something first, or to lose their footing slightly or whatever, which can be facilitated by feinting, or the jab.

#339877 - 05/09/07 05:08 PM Re: Best Way?!?!? [Re: Z498]
Z498 Offline

Thanks alot dude I was thinking that! I was wondering though, when would be an excellent time to start kicking.

#339878 - 05/10/07 12:40 PM Re: Best Way?!?!? [Re: Z498]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
when the oppurtunity arises. If you have stunned someone with a good punching combination, then a kick to the body, groin or knee can be very effective, particularly front kicks or roundhouse kicks. I wouldn't advise kicking to the head unless the opponent has fallen to the floor, in which case why are you hanging around- RUN!

Bottom line is, you will rarely have enough space in a real self defense situation to use kicks, because if you did, you should be escaping. There are a few circumstances where you can, and they are generally after creating a bit of space using punches.

#339879 - 05/10/07 01:04 PM Re: Best Way?!?!? [Re: Z498]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
Okay I will give you a counter attack that I gave the guy in the tournament forum. The first counter we learn in Olympic style TKD is a simple and probably the best counter.

If you find yourself in a school yard fight and you really just want to defend yourself and get away.

Wait for you opponents attack. Step back once then immediately counter with either a rear punch, or a rear leg roundhouse kick.

The key is to step back out of range as soon as you see the guy move his shoulders. Everyone must move their shoulders when attacking, punching or kicking. Once you see the shoulders move, step back, right before they finish their atack, you counter with an attack of your own, to catch them off balance and score.

Now I recommend a kick to the groin, stomach, liver. Basically a kick. because usually school yard bullies do not expect their opponents to know TKD. And if your a TKD stylist you know how hard a kick can be especially when your using shoes.

For a more elaborate description go to the tournament forum and check out my response.
Vinci

#339880 - 05/11/07 08:17 PM Re: Best Way?!?!? [Re: TeK9]
Z498 Offline

Quote:

Okay I will give you a counter attack that I gave the guy in the tournament forum. The first counter we learn in Olympic style TKD is a simple and probably the best counter.

If you find yourself in a school yard fight and you really just want to defend yourself and get away.

Wait for you opponents attack. Step back once then immediately counter with either a rear punch, or a rear leg roundhouse kick.

The key is to step back out of range as soon as you see the guy move his shoulders. Everyone must move their shoulders when attacking, punching or kicking. Once you see the shoulders move, step back, right before they finish their atack, you counter with an attack of your own, to catch them off balance and score.

Now I recommend a kick to the groin, stomach, liver. Basically a kick. because usually school yard bullies do not expect their opponents to know TKD. And if your a TKD stylist you know how hard a kick can be especially when your using shoes.

For a more elaborate description go to the tournament forum and check out my response.

======

Thanks! That helped a ton but I have another question lol, I was wondering exactly where is the liver and does it matter exactly what point you hit it in?

#339881 - 05/12/07 06:47 AM Re: Best Way?!?!? [Re: Z498]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Lower right side of the stomach. It can be hit with a round kick to the side of the stomach or a straight back kick directly in front of the body. I practice with the back kick, there is a kick boxer by the name of Benny "the" Uriquez who is famous for his trade mark back kick to the liver. This guy fought in the 70's early 80's.

If you plan to use a roundhouse kick then you must make sure you kick beneath the floating ribs, and watch out for elbows.

Personally I aim with my back kick. Um, for those ITF stylist that would be the spinning back kick to you guys.

Lately I've been practicing liver shot with skip/hop kicks, such as a round kick or side kick, so far not much luck.
Vinci

#339882 - 05/22/07 04:28 PM Re: Best Way?!?!? [Re: Z498]
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
If you were a BB you would not be asking this types of question. After 4-5 years of training you would know....

#339883 - 05/22/07 05:21 PM Re: Best Way?!?!? [Re: schanne]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Unfortunately Schanne that is not necessarily true. I'm guessing as this is on the TKD forum that we have to understand that many school don't get into depth of this and only touch on it, and then if you are not there for those days you really don't get it at all. And unless you are training it all of the time then forget about muscle memory or remembering how to do it. Most only require black belts to know their pattern, sparring and breaking technique plus some basics.

Quote:

But I was wondering what would be the best technique to take someone down in a fight at school.

I don't care if the person knows how to punch or not, the best technique to take somebody down in a fight it to get in close, clinch up with hands behind their head (don't interlock fingers), forearms tight to their neck (carota artery), pull their head to your chest and deliver knees while at the same time moving their body from side to side trying to unbalance them so you are able to trip or toss them to the ground; if you control the head you are controlling the body. Then you can take side mount and then top mount and deliver some elbows, forearms and fists (ground'n pound). Or just get up and get out of there or get ready to further fight.

After clinching up you can also pull them forward with a big unexpected jerk so that they have to sprawl and if they don't know how then they land on their face. In this position you can use repeated elbows to their shoulders, neck or back or you can use knees to their head or shoulders. You have options such as shoot off to the side, use a friction grip to pull their back to your stomach and you go to your back while at the same time using your legs to lock them in and then applying the RNR (Rear Naked Choke). Or after repeated knees to the head or shoulders, slip an arm under their neck under their opposite arm pit and lock this up and then roll yourself and them into an Anaconda Choke. Or just stand up and leave or if have to prepare to knock them down when they get up.

Can you finish this standing up, perhaps but there is no sure way to get them down, not like close up fighting. Now how you get to this position to clinch that is a whole other story. Be first what every you do. Use momentum and surprise and aggressiveness on your side. Don't be afraid to take one or more.

#339884 - 05/22/07 10:56 PM Re: Best Way?!?!? [Re: Dereck]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Dereck your my hero. My entire fighting model is now based on getting in close and applying the MT clinch and ending it from there with knee's, elbows, and head butts.

However, once I off balance and take them down, I would not mount them, I'd stomp on them, mounting them is a little to much UFC for me, I still like to get ghetto on their a$$es. Hehe, but not ghetto enough to the point were I take their wallet...

Personally I am very afraid to choke someone out. Although I practice it and know how to apply all sorts of chokes, I am afraid to crush someones windpipe or hold on to long to the point of brain damage.

Geoff Thompson says you should never hold on more than 3 seconds after three seconds of unconsciousness you risk brain damage.

Vinci

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga