FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Matakiant 3
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
Martial News
by Matakiant
Today at 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Martial News
by Matakiant
Today at 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35576 Topics
432496 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#339517 - 05/04/07 10:23 PM The Ninja Mindset in the teenage world.
Sveninja Offline

Please, trolls stay away!!!!

What does it mean to follow the Shinobi path as a teenager?

For the longest time I've been on a sort of personal journey to bring myself closer to the ancient Ninja of the past. I admit my admiration borderlines on obsession sometimes. And in my constant training (I train too much sometimes...need to take a vacation, lol) I have found that while Ninjutsu does not always apply to daily life, even a teen can find a use for it. As I continued my training, I came across these concepts that I use in my life to guide me.

1.) Ninja as intellectuals. Ninja think before they act, weighing the consequences, and staying one step ahead. Too many teens are criticized these days for being "impatient" and "living only for today, not tomorrow." As a student of Ninjutsu, I have realized the subtle beauty in patience, and the power of planning ahead.

2.) Strength is useless without weakness. This is my favorite saying. To explain it, think about any two extremes...hot and cold, beauty and ugliness...if one did not exist, the other would seen like normalcy. What is the point of being strong if everyone is strong? Then you are only average. What I'm trying to say is it is good to be strong, but NEVER harass the weak, because THEY are what helps you stand out.

3.) The soul of a warrior. Too many people today have a weak soul. Not in the sense of being anti-religious, or evil...I mean they seem fragile, and self-serving. When I see someone in need, I apply the strength of the ninja to assist that person; it is a duty of the strong to protect the weak. Too many people seek only to better themselves, and to define themselves be artificial standards. And people have all but lost the warrior's spirit. Not to bash sports toady (I enjoy sports) but I hated how the child leagues would sugar-coat a loss, and give EVERYONE trophies. If you lose, that defeat should spur you to become strong, and win. And not everyone can win all the time...this holds true in nature; there will always be a loser, such is the nature of struggle. If struggle must occur, try to make the best of it. To acknowledge defeat is the sign of strength, to accept it is the opposite; to learn from it is what the warrior's spirit is all about.

4.) The "Calm." All I can do to describe this it is the sense of peace that I feel as a result of training. With the natural security of knowing you can destroy comes the even more important notion of knowing you have no need to. You lose the sense of fear AND hostility. I went from being the timid, crowd-shy kid in the class, to the calm guy chilling out in the summer breeze waiting for my friends to show up to go hang out. The sense of serenity, and the ability to see beauty in everything gives me the strength I need to carry on.

#339518 - 05/05/07 12:15 AM Re: The Ninja Mindset in the teenage world. [Re: Sveninja]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

For the longest time I've been on a sort of personal journey to bring myself closer to the ancient Ninja of the past.

As a teenager, you have been doing nothing for any length of time.

Quote:

1.) Ninja as intellectuals. Ninja think before they act, weighing the consequences, and staying one step ahead.

Thats not intrinsic nor exclusive to ninjutsu, thats just not being a moron.

Quote:

2.) What is the point of being strong if everyone is strong? Then you are only average. What I'm trying to say is it is good to be strong, but NEVER harass the weak, because THEY are what helps you stand out.

3.) Too many people today have a weak soul....I mean they seem fragile, and self-serving..... Too many people seek only to better themselves, and to define themselves be artificial standards. And people have all but lost the warrior's spirit.

Read the highlighted statement from point 2, then read the abridged point 3. Notice anything?

Quote:

Please, trolls stay away!!!!

Good advice.

Edited by Cord (05/05/07 12:17 AM)

#339519 - 05/05/07 06:41 AM Re: The Ninja Mindset in the teenage world. [Re: Cord]
Dauragon c mikado Offline

Loc: Oxford, England
I don't think that was called for, he doesn't appear to want to cause trouble, so lets not create unneeded hostility.

#339520 - 05/05/07 07:26 AM Re: The Ninja Mindset in the teenage world. [Re: Dauragon c mikado]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

I don't think that was called for, he doesn't appear to want to cause trouble

Time will tell. Pointing out the contradiction in outlook (points 2 and 3) was an attempt to help him better himself- something he seems very keen on doing. not all genuine help offered has to be pleasant.

Edited by Cord (05/05/07 07:29 AM)

#339521 - 05/05/07 09:03 AM Re: The Ninja Mindset in the teenage world. [Re: Sveninja]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Interesting first post, sveninja. Check this thread here for some related content (especially Cord's post) -

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...87#Post15939143

#339522 - 05/05/07 09:28 AM Re: The Ninja Mindset in the teenage world. [Re: Sveninja]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Sveninja:

There is nothing unusual about the "path" you are on... however it is yours, in that way different from all of us because it is yours... all of us endured it, and so shall you.

<<1.) Ninja as intellectuals. Ninja think before they act,
weighing the consequences

This is intelligent, MATURE martial practice un-unique to "Ninjitsu".

<<it is good to be strong, but NEVER harass the weak

A wise approach, but NOT because doing so will make you prominant, "stand out". Strength tempered by self-awareness, intelligence is a correct approach.

<<3.) The soul of a warrior.

A romantic notion, and quaint idea. I do not wish to discourage/inhibit your earnestness, Beware overly romantic notions of somehow being the "sheriff" in the proverbial white hat. Because of your ~skills~ whatever they might or might not be believe you can stand up to others burdens, their problems in order to "protect" them.

Engage when you must, avoid the avoidable... others problems are not necessarily what they appear.

Jeff

#339523 - 05/05/07 11:20 AM Re: The Ninja Mindset in the teenage world. [Re: Cord]
Sveninja Offline

I realize this is not unique to ninja...what do you think I am, a moron?

I just notice that ninja seem to stand out in this way more so than others. Plenty of other marital arts, guidance counselers, and even parents all champion the same stuff.

#339524 - 05/05/07 11:21 AM Re: The Ninja Mindset in the teenage world. [Re: Dauragon c mikado]
Sveninja Offline

Tha is the right approach.

#339525 - 05/05/07 11:26 AM Re: The Ninja Mindset in the teenage world. [Re: Cord]
Sveninja Offline

I realize it may Seem that they are contradicting, but what I'm saying is you are permitted to dislike someone's weak attitudes, but you should not harass them. Everyone is has a right to be happy, even if their happiness makes another unhappy. I like physical, mental, and emotional strength, others enjoy just being who they naturally are. Some people think my life (abeit a short one) is dumb because I spend so much time practicing, and I think many peoples' lifestyles are dumb for spending hours watching T.V. To each his/her own I guess. I like strength, so I dislike the weakness I see, the key is I hate people who abuse others. Keep it to yourself, or encourage them.

Does this help explain what I mean? (I suck at writing, sorry.)

#339526 - 05/05/07 11:28 AM Re: The Ninja Mindset in the teenage world. [Re: Cord]
Sveninja Offline

The are not contradicting, you can dislike something, but still not harass it. I hate Harry Potter books, but you don't see me burning them.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga