FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
GojuRyuboy13 1
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#339250 - 05/19/07 04:45 PM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: Dauragon c mikado]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Sorry, Kimo. I do give you props for being very civilized in your arguments. But you are just plain flat wrong.

Based on what, you have no argument to refute mine, you simply say you simply say I am wrong. Well I am not wrong. There are guys with limited training training and no success in WWF and NFL crossing over and doing well, imagine guys who are truly talented,training from a young age and fighting in MMA.

Frankly if you guys think the fighters in MMA are the same caliber as NFL athlete, then you are insane, period.

#339251 - 05/19/07 05:55 PM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: Kimo2007]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

Frankly if you guys think the fighters in MMA are the same caliber as NFL athlete, then you are insane, period.

Some much for the civilized argument thing.

And again Kimo, YOU are the one making the assertion. So YOU need to prove your point. You can't use the "prove your point" tactic when I used it to you first. And "I have been around elite athletes" and "You don't understand my argument" ain't proof, my friend.

#339252 - 05/19/07 09:01 PM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: MattJ]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Some much for the civilized argument thing.

I simply used the same argument used against me, suddenly it's not enough. OK I have used stats, personal experience, and common sense, none of it is good enough for a bunch of MMA homers who think Chuck Liddell is a world class athlete.

News flash guys he is not, he is a great MA and has shown what a striker can do in the Octagon, but as I have said he simply the best of a very small group of people.

#339253 - 05/19/07 09:32 PM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: Kimo2007]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Kimo -

Quote:

Any pro boxer trained in MMA would wipe the mat with the full contact guys of today.

That was your original quote. You seem to be implying that that any pro with a bit of MMA would wipe any other MMAer. Then your argument later changes to pros trained from a very young age. But isn't that what many MMAers are now? MMA has been around for 15 years, so there are certainly people that have trained very young.

Quote:

The fact is pro athletes are on a completely different level.

How do pro MMAers fit into that equation? They are inherently less skilled somehow? How do you prove or verify that? So far, it is only your opinion.

Quote:

But if you have the abiltiy to make it in pro boxing, why would you even consider fighting MMA?

Because you grew up doing MMA? That very opinion actually negates your own argument. Couldn't you easily reverse the two? Maybe the money doesn't matter as much to them as being in a particular sport.

Quote:

Chuck Liddell deserves respect his is among the best in the world at what he does, but if you look at him as an athlete, he is at best college caliber and that is a long way from Pro caliber athlete and no where near Floyd Mayweather

Please be specifc why he is not pro-caliber. He lacks.......something?

Quote:

NO he has a particular Skill he has trained in,

Yes. Like Mayweather. That has been my point all along.

Quote:

Matt if want to think the MMA fighters of today are on the same athletic level of Pro Football players or Pro Boxers like Mayweather and De la Hoya, fine believe away.

You said you had "stats". Please provide them and be specific why they are NOT pro caliber. Not fast enough? Not strong enough? Stats, please.

Quote:

The other point I am trying to make, that I guess I have not been clear about, is you cannot train the things that seperate great athletes from the elite professionals.

I agree, but this does not preclude someone from choosing MMA as a focus.

#339254 - 05/19/07 10:30 PM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: Kimo2007]
Borrek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Quote:

So lets do some math. According to the internet article "You Gotta Be Kidding!" by Mickey Charles CEO, sportsnetwork.com, the actual physical contact time in a 60 minute regulation NFL game is 12 minutes. Until someone watches a few games and determines otherwise, this is the number were going to use. This doesnt count those taxing minutes crouching in a huddle, or dancing in the endzone. So, there are 12 minutes of physical activity in an NFL game. Lets assume 6 minutes of that belongs to the defense and 6 minutes belongs to the offense. That means if one athlete plays every single play on one side of the line(yeah right) then they are exerting themselves for 6 minutes spread out over a 3 hour time period! wow talk about stamina! This is opposed to 15 minutes of head to head contact with two 60 second rest periods. Which sounds easier?

I would say that MMA athletes aren't the same caliber as NFL players, theyre tougher.

#339255 - 05/19/07 11:13 PM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: Borrek]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I would say that MMA athletes aren't the same caliber as NFL players, theyre tougher.

Please tell me you are joking...scary thing is you are not.

#339256 - 05/19/07 11:25 PM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: MattJ]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Any pro boxer trained in MMA would wipe the mat with the full contact guys of today.

I did say that and do believe it, but I can't back it up because we would need someone to do it to prove it eventually someone will, and then we will see who is right.

Quote:

How do pro MMAers fit into that equation? They are inherently less skilled somehow? How do you prove or verify that? So far, it is only your opinion.

Not sure how to be more clear on this, just the numbers of people competing should be enough to convince you, unless you have already decided to be un convinced.

Quote:

Please be specifc why he is not pro-caliber. He lacks.......something?

Lets take his 40 time, what's his vertical, how many times can he bench 225? Do I need to go on?

Quote:

Not fast enough? Not strong enough? Stats, please.

Yes Yes and Yes.

Quote:

I agree, but this does not preclude someone from choosing MMA as a focus.

Like I said before, the guys who are elite athletes are identified by the powers of pro sports, no way they lose a guy to cage fighting, not gonna happen.

One might eventually slip through, and he will be a beast in the ring, maybe kill a few people and get all the rules changed, but that has not happened yet.

We have guys who are washed up WWF and NFL players trying their hand at MMA, with almost no training and doing fairly well,that should be evidence enough for you guys.

#339257 - 05/19/07 11:40 PM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: Kimo2007]
Borrek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Quote:

Lets take his 40 time, what's his vertical, how many times can he bench 225? Do I need to go on?

What is Floyd Mayweather's 40 yard time? How many times can he bench 225? What is his vertical? Oh, thats right, those stats are totally useless in regards to boxing (and MMA)

Quote:

We have guys who are washed up WWF and NFL players trying their hand at MMA, with almost no training and doing fairly well,that should be evidence enough for you guys.

can you give names of these washed up WWF and NFL players, and what are their records, and how many other non-"pro-caliber" MMA fighters have the same or better record?

#339258 - 05/20/07 01:09 AM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: Kimo2007]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Quote:

I did say that and do believe it, but I can't back it up because we would need someone to do it to prove it eventually someone will, and then we will see who is right.

Excuse excuse excuse.

Quote:

Just about the same as a boxer, but when thinking about it, he has to spend more time doing other things as well, such as getting a heavyweight fighter off his chest in grappling. Definitely adds up more than 'static' training.

Quote:

Yes Yes and Yes.

Prove it. Stats, data, facts. Not just "Yes Yes and Yes". That doesn't PROVE a thing. If you can't provide stats that proves MMA fighters aren't 'elite' then you're just full of excuses.

Quote:

Like I said before, the guys who are elite athletes are identified by the powers of pro sports, no way they lose a guy to cage fighting, not gonna happen.

Well, it has happened. UFC 1, Royce Gracie's first opponent was.. Tada! A pro-boxer. Didn't even land a punch and only got headbutted once and instantly tapped out.

Quote:

One might eventually slip through, and he will be a beast in the ring, maybe kill a few people

Enough with the killing people already. It's just stupid. And proves to us you're not intelligent enough to understand that MMA has rules that prevents lethal injuries. If you're going to talk 'tough' then maybe I can respond "Well if one slips in, he's going to have his limbs dislocated and then lay there helplessly while the MMA pounds away on his face while the 'elite' athlete can't move". Doesn't that sound stupid? Because that's what you sound like.

Quote:

We have guys who are washed up WWF and NFL players trying their hand at MMA, with almost no training

Who? Brock? He hasn't started yet. Besides that, back up your statements.

Kimo, I'd suggest, if you don't have data, stats, facts to back up your statements, then don't state. It just proves you more and more wrong.

Now, I'm going to try and make this argument a bit easier. Define "ELITE ATHLETE" or "PRO ATHLETE"? Are they supposed to be injected with steroids? Are they supposed to be superhuman? Are they supposed to look like gorillas? What are they?

If you're talking about an athlete who are experts at what they do, and are seemingly unrivalled in what they do, then MMA qualifies as an elite athlete because you can't just drop a boxer in there and expect him to last long. It's just not going to happen because MMA are experts at what they do, and that is fighting with no restriction on technique used.

-Taison out

#339259 - 05/20/07 09:49 AM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: Kimo2007]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Quote:

So you have no proof.

Quote:

Quote:

Not sure how to be more clear on this, just the numbers of people competing should be enough to convince you, unless you have already decided to be un convinced.

Note how you did not answer any of my questions.

Quote:

I'm sure I don't understand your point. Does any of that matter in the octagon? Not that I even think there would be a big difference anyway between top echelon MMAers and boxers.

But hell, let's throw Lance Armstrong in there. Is he an "elite athlete" in your view?

Quote:

Quote:

Not fast enough? Not strong enough? Stats, please.

Yes Yes and Yes.

Don't see any stats as you said you have. Just your opinion.

Quote:

One might eventually slip through, and he will be a beast in the ring, maybe kill a few people and get all the rules changed, but that has not happened yet.

So, people that do MMA are bound to be killers, huh? Nice stereotype, Kimo. Has Floyd or Oscar killed anyone? So I guess they can't be considered elite athletes? Or just not good MMAers?

Oy.

Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga