FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (Victor Smith), 39 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Troy7785, wakita, swisztony, Tonybb, shelly1993
22920 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 3
AndyLA 3
Marcus Charles 1
Victor Smith 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22920 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#339310 - 05/25/07 12:01 PM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: Taison]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

"you don't know the position of the people you're ranting at". Honestly, I don't give a slightest who you are, because imo, and from the other posts

OK maybe we can chalk some of this up to lauguage and translation.

In this example I am not speaking of my personal postion, I am speaking of the "postion" or argument I am making.

My point was you claimed I said no training and ranted agaisnt that position or argument, when in fact I had said with training.

So the point is you are ranting quite fiercly and you don't even have the facts straight.

Also let me clarify that the "pros" I know are in the football world not the UFC, though I have met a few I wouldn't say I know them personally.

I am willing to chalk this up to misunderstanding lets see how things go on other discussions.

On this matter I have my opinion, the facts in my view support what I believe, in others views they do not.

Honest people can have honest dis agreements.

Time to bury this dead horse, it'stinkin up the place.

#339311 - 05/26/07 01:25 AM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: Kimo2007]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Whatever, I'm bored arguing with a guy that has literally no logic whatsoever, and doesn't know what he's talking about.

FYI "you don't even have the facts straight". Wrong. I do, you however, don't. Wait... You don't have ANY facts whatsoever. Figures.

I'll let some other mod argue with you, I've had enough. Enjoy your day, because I am.

-Taison out

#339312 - 05/26/07 09:39 AM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: Taison]
Tom2199 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: England
I used to argue like that with one of my friends i just don't bother anymore

by the way he was and still is completely illogical

#339313 - 05/27/07 02:03 AM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: Tom2199]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
How do you put up with him??

I'd repeatedly stab my eyeballs with a pen if I had a friend like this in real life.

-Taison out

#339314 - 05/27/07 11:17 AM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: Taison]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

Speaking of Mayweather and his comments on MMA. Did yall hear Din Thomas tell Mayweather to bring it?

#339315 - 05/27/07 12:38 PM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: JasonM]
silenthand Offline

Here is Dave Doyle's blog for Foxsports on this issue...

Floyd Mayweather apparently got one look at Ultimate Fighting Championship lightweight titlist Sean Sherk and decided he wanted nothing to do with mixed martial arts.

The newly crowned WBC 154-lb. champion talked a lot of smack about MMA leading up to his fight with Oscar De La Hoya.

But UFC president Dana White, Zuffa LLC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta, and Sherk, the UFC's 155-lb. champ, showed up at the MGM Grand looking to give Mayweather the chance to put his money where his mouth was.

And the Pretty Boy changed his tune. According to the Web site FightNews.com, Mayweather, using former Nevada State Athletic Commission chairman and current UFC employee Marc Ratner as an intermediary, signaled he wanted to make peace with the UFC.

"I apologize to the UFC, sometimes we say things that we shouldn't have said and I'm man enough to admit that," said Mayweather. "I apologize to the Fertittas, Lorenzo and Dana White. I respect MMA fighters and what they do in the UFC. I have no plans of fighting in mixed martial arts."

While Mayweather left the MGM Grand a winner last week, it appears the sport of mixed martial arts was the biggest beneficiary of last week's hype.

The bulk of the coverage leading up to the Mayweather-DeLaHoya fight prominently mentioned MMA's encroachment on the boxing market.

True, some of the coverage was lowlighted by tired clichés from the usual suspects, but the joke is on them. It became painfully clear last week the only people left who still cling to "these are just bar brawlers" nonsense are: 1. Old-school boxing types, who are understandably protective of their favorite sport; 2. Journalists who are completely out to lunch on the topic; 3. Attention seekers in various media platforms who are simply out to get a reaction.

There has been a shift in sports fan opinion on combat sports. The average fan now understands that top-notch MMA fighters have athletic credentials that match those of the top athletes in any sport, even if some in the media still don't get it.

Saturday night's fight card was a case study in why MMA is succeeding where boxing isn't.

The main event was a good, but not great, technical fight. But the real telling aspect was in the second fight from top. A pair of featherweights that your average sports fan couldn't name to save their lives, Rocky Juarez and Jose Hernandez, slow danced for 12 rounds before Juarez took the decision.

Half the crowd at the MGM Grand hadn't arrived yet. The half that was there never at any point indicated they had the slightest interest in the match. HBO signaled its disinterest in its own second-billed attraction by running a long, rambling interview with Larry Merchant and Floyd Mayweather Sr. during the fight.

Viewers paid $54.95 for that?

Contrast the Juarez-Hernandez scene to UFC 68 in Columbus on March 3, where all 19,000 fans at Nationwide Arena were in their seats in time for the opening, non-televised preliminary fight, and stayed with the action for four hours, through all nine matches. Or UFC 65 at Arco Arena in Sacramento last November, where the sellout crowd of more than 15,000 popped for the transitional ground work as much as the KO kicks.

The question that remains unanswered: What would happen if Mayweather did tangle with Sherk?

No one is questioning what would happen if they met in a boxing ring under boxing rules. Sherk's background is amateur wrestling. Even the most complete MMA fighter isn't spending any more than 25 percent of his time on his boxing game. Mayweather would own Sherk under boxing rules.

Under MMA rules? Well, for one thing, Mayweather's track-meet style wouldn’t win him points in the UFC. Among MMA scoring criteria, judges are supposed to base their decisions on aggression and octagon control. For another, there is the sheer difference between a ring and a cage. There are no rope breaks to be had in MMA. If you get cornered and taken down, you have to fight your way out. That's not Mayweather's style.

There have already been a couple glimpses at what would be considered boxer vs. martial arts style fighting, and neither made boxing look good.

One occurred all the way back at UFC 1 in 1993. Art Jimmerson was a light heavyweight with a solid record of 29-5 when he squared off against Royce Gracie. Gracie needed all of 2:11 to pick Jimmerson apart. From that point on, Jimmerson went 4-13 in his boxing career. Word got around boxing quick to stay away from UFC.

OK, maybe Jimmerson isn't a big enough name to impress you. How about Muhammud Ali, then?

Back in 1976, Ali took on wrestler Antonio Inoki in Tokyo. They went 15 rounds before the fight was ruled a draw. Inoki spent most of the fight on his back in a basic jiu-jitsu defensive posture and repeatedly kicked at Ali's legs. Ali's punching was useless, as he threw just six punches the entire fight.

It was a dreadfully boring exhibition by all accounts. But no less an authority than Thomas Hauser reported in his definitive biography Ali that Inoki did so much damage to Ali's legs, that Ali had to be hospitalized with blood clots and extensive muscle disrepair. Promoter Bob Arum went on to speculate the beating helped speed up Ali's in-ring decline.

So there you have it. Three decades before MMA stole boxing's thunder and 17 years before Gracie burst onto the scene, the greatest boxer of all-time could do nothing against a professional wrestler who used defensive martial arts tactics that were primitive by the standards of today's MMA.

Maybe Mayweather knew what he was doing, backing off from his trash talk against UFC.

#339316 - 05/28/07 10:02 AM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: Taison]
Tom2199 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: England
Quote:

How do you put up with him??

I'd repeatedly stab my eyeballs with a pen if I had a friend like this in real life.

-Taison out

small doses

#339317 - 06/03/07 09:10 PM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: Kimo2007]
Raul Perez Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Lake Ronkonkoma, NY, USA
Quote:

Quote:

You have demonstrated that , presently, you don't have a lot of proof for or against your claim. So there is little point in furthering it until you get some.

Actually, I think the most important stat I can state is simply the magnitude of potential is so much higher in Pro Football, it would be extraordinary that a small population of athletes found in MMA would produce the same caliber, mathematically it would be like winning the lotto.

But we have done this dance long enough, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, there are currently several washed up athletes trying to compete in the MMA, most of them have very limited training, certainly not years of study.

Let's see how they do and we can re visit this topic then.

We are all just too stubborn to change our minds, anyway.

Johnnie Morton got Knocked the F&*^$# out!

So much for that theory....

http://www.lockflow.com/viewtopic.php?t=6882

oh... and refused to take a urine test afterwards too:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=7753

#339318 - 06/04/07 01:43 AM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: Raul Perez]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North

#339319 - 06/04/07 12:22 PM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: Dereck]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

So much for that theory....

Why cause a guy with 2 months training in MA doesn't win?

The fact that he got a pro fight in 2 months says a lot about the sport.

My point has always been caliber of athlete, and UFC 71 did a lot to make me even more sure of my position.

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga