FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 10
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 3
cxt 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
Yesterday at 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
Yesterday at 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35570 Topics
432472 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#339260 - 05/20/07 10:32 AM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: MattJ]
Dauragon c mikado Offline

Loc: Oxford, England
Isn't this whole thing becoming a childish charade of hairsplitting like alot of alot of debates on FA?

#339261 - 05/20/07 11:13 AM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: Dauragon c mikado]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Isn't this whole thing becoming a childish charade of hairsplitting like alot of alot of debates on FA?

You're not wrong my friend... (sighs)

Look no one has any proof one way or the other. Debate by all means, but I don't think anyone is going to get their mind changed here.

Kimo, Kermit Cintron has asked to fight the UFC welterweight champion. Dana White is considering this. Until then, we won't know squat. You have demonstrated that , presently, you don't have a lot of proof for or against your claim. So there is little point in furthering it until you get some.

#339262 - 05/20/07 11:34 AM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: Dauragon c mikado]
pathfinder7195 Offline

Loc: T.C Michigan, U.S
Yes yes yes. The saddest thing about this whole thread is it is nothing more than a bunch of sensitive MA all worried about who can kick who's butt.

#339263 - 05/20/07 12:11 PM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: pathfinder7195]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

Yes yes yes. The saddest thing about this whole thread is it is nothing more than a bunch of sensitive MA all worried about who can kick who's butt.

While that is actually not a concern of mine, I get your point. I simply feel that if one comes on the forum and makes a rather bold claim (as Kimo has), then one should be able to offer proof of said point, instead of insulting everyone that disagrees. Expect to be called out on it.

#339264 - 05/20/07 02:02 PM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: MattJ]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
I was arguing because he said a boxer could wipe the floor of a MMA in the octagon anyday. This is just plain ignorance, and got called out for that.

Then he said that boxers are 'elite' athletes when compared to MMA who are just 'collegiate'. Yet he's been unable to define 'elite athlete'. What makes an athlete elite?

And then he makes bold claims on a MMA elite, without backing up his statements.

Kimo has said some strong words without back up, and thus invalidated himself pretty much.

I don't care who can kick who's arse, because I know my killer-bunny with a demon soul will wipe the floor with all of you.

-Taison out

#339265 - 05/20/07 03:10 PM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: Taison]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Hey, I'm enjoying the thread so screw off.

When watching Pros vs. Joes they take retired pros to go up against the average guy who thinks he could be a pro. Many of these old pros still have it while many don't but they are still usually better then the average guy. When Randy Couture was on there he earned respect from the Joes and they even said as much after wrestling with him. Randy is doing this in his 40's and still kicking butt and made a comeback into the UFC and becoming the heavy weight champion. If Randy is not an elite pro athlete then I don't know who is because when Mayweather gets to this age he probably won't even have all of his faculty to even do basic reasoning.

Money is not a driver for everybody so cannot be a factor when discussing pro athletes. BJ Penn on the ground is a phenom and though I dislike the guy he is good at what he does and he's not in it for the money ... he already has money. How much a person can bench is also not a factor when discussing pro athletes otherwise 5 years ago I would have been considered a pro athlete as 225 lbs was less then my light weight before I hit the heavy weights.

I have yet to see a "WWE" star becoming an elite MMA'r. I wouldn't mind seeing some and I think many would do well, but I don't think many will make the transition. So with this said, are you saying the professional wrestlers are elite athletes? Some I agree, no actually many I do, but there are those that don't even come close. The same with NFL footballers that you brought up. Have you looked at some of the linemen, they aren't there because of their skill but only because they are huge guys and hard to move. Hardly an elite athlete or any caliber for that matter. Have a hard enough time just getting off the field sometimes.

Lance Armstrong, definitely is an elite athlete, no question and even more so than many due to the things he has had to overcome; an inspirational elite athlete. But Lance Armstrong couldn't do MMA, boxing, football or many other sports but he sure can ride like no other. Mayweather wouldn't even be able to compete on Lance' level even if he started as a child.

If you make it to the top in any sport and continually show the world that you belong there then you are an elite athlete in your sport. Perhaps you would do well in other sports and perhaps you wouldn't be able to but that doesn't take away from the sport that you are doing. The only thing that means something is how you perform. Money does not come into question nor does anything else, just how you perform. And who among us can say somebody is not elite when they can't even perform at those levels themselves.

#339266 - 05/20/07 07:01 PM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: Taison]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
Come to think of it Taison, I've always suspected something evil about your bunny. But I could never put my finger on it.

The only thing I could say about boxers is that they train significantly longer for their fights than pro MMA'ist do, but then again when Tito fought Chuck Liddel, he had been in training for months which is far longer than boxers usually train.

Boxer usually spends 10 weeks training prior to a fight, MMAist average about 6 weeks. it's probably because of the rounds and the way they are set up to be less but longer.

I would however say that boxing is much more active than MMA, even though while ground fighting MMA are active but at the same time they get to rest more than boxers do in the clinch, slight movement allows them to maintain the clinch even if they are more resting rather than fighting for position. in boxing the ref seperates them up real quick.
Vinci

#339267 - 05/21/07 02:21 PM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: TeK9]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
In the clinch there is no resting, trust me. Every muscle in your body is tight and preparing to be unbalanced. Try doing 5 minutes of just clinch work and you will be extremely exhausted. That is a tough workout.

#339268 - 05/21/07 05:37 PM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: Prizewriter]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

You have demonstrated that , presently, you don't have a lot of proof for or against your claim. So there is little point in furthering it until you get some.

Actually, I think the most important stat I can state is simply the magnitude of potential is so much higher in Pro Football, it would be extraordinary that a small population of athletes found in MMA would produce the same caliber, mathematically it would be like winning the lotto.

But we have done this dance long enough, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, there are currently several washed up athletes trying to compete in the MMA, most of them have very limited training, certainly not years of study.

Let's see how they do and we can re visit this topic then.

We are all just too stubborn to change our minds, anyway.

#339269 - 05/21/07 06:57 PM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: Kimo2007]
Raul Perez Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Lake Ronkonkoma, NY, USA
correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Bob Sapp an ex-pro football player?

Hasn't he been the biggest let down of the new millenium when it comes to MMA?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giJxnhvK2js

Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga