FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
futsaowingchun 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
Yesterday at 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 7 of 11 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#339280 - 05/23/07 09:22 AM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: TeK9]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

Boxer usually spends 10 weeks training prior to a fight, MMAist average about 6 weeks. it's probably because of the rounds and the way they are set up to be less but longer.

After watching the UFC leading up to this weekends fight, Chuck Liddell says he starts training "harder" 12 weeks before his fight. Just thought I'd add that.

#339281 - 05/23/07 10:11 AM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: TeK9]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

he has had training and has trained prior to every fight

Training before a fight, is not the training I was referring to.

I was speaking to the years of training an MA does prior to making into the professional ranks.

Quote:

However, I feel most people will agree that it is not just DNA that makes an elite athlete, but the combination of both nature and nurture, good genetics and quality training along with the spirit to persevere through.

I would completely agree, I have posted to this point earlier.

On another note, Johnnie Morton who was a 12 year Vet receiver of the NFL has decided to fight in MMA, he will have his first professional fight only 2 months after he first stepped onto the mat.

#339282 - 05/23/07 01:04 PM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: Kimo2007]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

On another note, Johnnie Morton who was a 12 year Vet receiver of the NFL has decided to fight in MMA, he will have his first professional fight only 2 months after he first stepped onto the mat.

Well, until Johnnie goes in and starts beating the top MMA guys in his division, this example means nothing.

#339283 - 05/23/07 01:38 PM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: MattJ]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Being a NFL fan, I have never once considered Johnnie Morton to be an "elite" football player. Honestly I never knew anything about him until he joined the Kansas City Chiefs, who I was a fan of, where he played for I believe 2 or 3 years only. He never stood out and why he was then passed off to the 49'ers where he played only 1 year and I don't even believe it was a full year. If he was elite then he would be a consideration for the Hall of Fame and that will never happen.

He fights on June 2, 2007 in K-1's Dynamite. His name isn't even listed on the card so he is obviously on an undercard so his "eliteness" or "elitenessless" doesn't even carry any weight nor is a big seller. I will be interested to see how he does and wish him well; seriously. According to Kimo as he was an NFL football player he should tear things up and losing is not an option because all MMA'ers are only at college level and this guy was a pro football player.

#339284 - 05/23/07 01:57 PM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: Kimo2007]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Tasion- Elite athletes in my mind are guys with amazing physical skills, combined with reflexes, instinct and intelligence to rise over and above anything the average person could ever "train' for. In a word they are gifted.

Man, I don't think I have every started a thread and read all the pages in one shot. It was quit interesting to read and I loved the arguments of everyone, excluding kimo sine I couldn't not see his argument as valid.

However, on the quote above I would like to comment. In my younger days I had a "gift" and seemed to do well in Karate. But, I think if you take a "gifted" person training 1 hour a day 3 times a week and a "not-so gifted" person training 2 hours a day for 6 days a week the person training harder and putting more into their training will be the one to excel. I think "gifted" is okay, but if the "gifted" doesn't have the drive and determination they will fall short. Also, i think "gifted" is not the right word it should be someone with a natural talent for the sport activity of their choice.

My .02 cents..

#339285 - 05/23/07 02:10 PM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: JasonM]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
This argument is getting a tad bit annoying in that Kimo never proves his points, make claims that he can't back up with facts/stats, uses examples that aren't valid (an NFL player who hasn't even started yet) and then makes excuses all the time.

But oh well, Dereck enjoys it and I'm not one that's going to tell Papa Dereck not to enjoy. Nope, he'll probably bear-hug me and break every bone in my fragile body if I take away his source of entertainment.

-Taison out

#339286 - 05/23/07 03:16 PM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: Taison]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Let's just not make Papa Dereck go any further then this.

#339287 - 05/23/07 03:53 PM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: Dereck]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

According to Kimo as he was an NFL football player he should tear things up and losing is not an option because all MMA'ers are only at college level and this guy was a pro football player

Sigh, you guys really don't get it, the point is he has NO training to speak of 2 months? Who can do what in 2 months?

Now take this athlete and train him for 10 years, like the Top MMA fighters and see how he does.

Bob Sapp was another case and point, no training in Martial Arts and he walks in and is fighting and beat champions.

I never said just by being in the NFL they automatically baat down the MMA guys, you still need to know how to fight and that takes training, a lot of it.

So we have what we have is Pro athlete, no training fighting MMA athlete's with years of training.

If what you belive is true, the MMA should easily dispatch the Pro Athlete. That didn't happen with Bob Sapp, we will see what happens with Johnnie Morton.

#339288 - 05/23/07 03:59 PM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: Kimo2007]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Kimo -

Quote:

That didn't happen with Bob Sapp

Dude......Bob Sapp is a gigantic man. Of course he was knocking out people 2/3 his size. That proves nothing more than "bigger is better". And again, until Johnnie starts whupping the champions, that example is worthless.

BTW Kimo, check this:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=0#Post15942548

"Frankly if you guys think the fighters in MMA are the same caliber as NFL athlete, then you are insane, period."

Indeed. It seems like a lot of NFL players must be insane then.

Edited by MattJ (05/23/07 04:05 PM)

#339289 - 05/23/07 04:05 PM Re: Floyd Mayweather on MMA [Re: MattJ]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Well, until Johnnie goes in and starts beating the top MMA guys in his division, this example means nothing.

This was an observation, I find in interesting that no one is concerned by the fact though.

Would this happen in any other sport? Jordon played baseball after 6-8 months, but at least he grew up playing the game. What prior training or experience does Johnnie Morton have? None I am aware of, but after 2 months he is in a Professional fight?

Oh and to Dereck'spoint about elite athletes, any guy how can play in the NFL for 12 years is elite in my mind, that is very tough to do. Maybe he didn't stand out when compared to other NFL starters, but when compared to the general population, it's a different story.

But this is semantics, you have to draw a line somewhere but in reality it's more of a slope, I draw it at the active playing NFL player, you are drawing at the Hall of Fame,

Page 7 of 11 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga