FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
Today at 12:04 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432456 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#339158 - 05/03/07 01:28 PM Have we lost the Way
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I have been pondering something lately. The question is simply this..."Have we lost the way?" Or sould I say Way?"

I don't ask this to be condescending but as a sincere question. If one is practicing a "Do" suffixed art of any type there is the implication of a philosophical root or foundation built into the name of that system.

In many conversations I read online there is talk about function, utilility, and effectiveness. What could be more practical than the Tao. I get a sense many times that the idea of studying classical texts like the Tao and reflecting deeply on them is seen as maybe quaint and perhaps antiquated. I wonder if those texts are all to easily lumped into the "mystical bull$hit I don't need" catagory.

Do you study a do art?

If you do, have you lost the way?

If you have or haven't you might want to take a look at this link...

Tao

I had a go at fixing the link but there seems to be a problem with the edit function these days!

attempted to fix Reiki's bungling

Edited by MattJ (05/03/07 05:06 PM)

#339159 - 05/03/07 01:34 PM Re: Have we lost the Way [Re: oldman]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Does it have to have 'Do' attached to be a 'Way'?

#339160 - 05/03/07 01:40 PM Re: Have we lost the Way [Re: harlan]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Certainly not. Not having "Do" attached doesnt exclude anything from the way, just as having "Do" attached does not mean it reflects the way even remotely.

#339161 - 05/03/07 01:44 PM Re: Have we lost the Way [Re: oldman]
puffadder Offline

Loc: UK
Unfortunately you are right. Increasingly few schools are teaching any kind of philosophy behind their skills and techniques. It is a shame as without the underlying philosophies i believe we can become little more than street fighters and in doing so we severely limit the extent of the knowledge we can learn.
Taoism of course is the classic example. So many of the world's martial arts stem from knowledge originally discovered and developed by the taoists. It is easy to forget that the taoists were never concerned with defeat of opponents but learning to gain balance and harmony in their lives and strive to understand the relationships between themselves and the natural world around them.
Their martial arts training enabled them to test knowledge directly on another person and so the various theories of energy flow, sinking, moving like water etc came about and were gradually adopted by other martial arts. By developing these arts they discovered phenomenal amounts about the human potential.
Read the Tao Te Ching and you will learn philosophies that as are applicable in the street or in the ring as they were in the Chinese culture of 2500 years ago.

Real knowledge never goes out of date.

#339162 - 05/03/07 01:46 PM Re: Have we lost the Way [Re: puffadder]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

I don't think 'the way' is found in philosophy, but in practice.

#339163 - 05/03/07 01:48 PM Re: Have we lost the Way [Re: harlan]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

In the practice of what?

#339164 - 05/03/07 01:54 PM Re: Have we lost the Way [Re: harlan]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

I don't think 'the way' is found in philosophy, but in practice.

That has been my experience as well. Practice of martial arts, for the purpose of this discussion. I guess it depends on if you agree that philosophy is an intrinsic part of martial arts practice.

#339165 - 05/03/07 01:55 PM Re: Have we lost the Way [Re: oldman]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Not to be coy, but to each his own practice. Been pondering myself this past month, about 'the promise' of martial arts.

#339166 - 05/03/07 02:05 PM Re: Have we lost the Way [Re: oldman]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Oldman,

Good question. I guess it is as much a personal matter as anything else. When I have asked folk the reason why they embarked on their personal MA adventures, the resounding answer to all whom I have asked was...to learn how to fight, or to learn how to defend oneself. Now, this was regardless of the "do" attached to the end of the art's name. And your reasons may be completely different from those whom I asked.

In a pragmatic sense, if one just wanted to jump into a philosophical pool and not worry about the overtures to violence that a particular martial arts system might have bubbling at its core, why not take up Asian Caligraphy or flower arrangment? This would be the philosophy and "Do" without the connection to utilitarian violence.

If you answer this honestly, I think in this case, you have it: basically, that folk want the use of a martial art with varying degress of utility (that is both with and without consideration of the philosophy behind the art). Otherwise they don't have enter into the MA arena at all.

On the other hand, I have personally waxed and waned with my time in trainging cosidering the merits of what and why I do what I do. This is despite things I find fault with and despite my personal understanding of what might prove more pragmatic.

I will even venture to guess (and my personal experience with a few MMAists bears this out...at least for me) that despite the physicalness of the endeavor, every legitimate martial artist that I have met who has had a whiff of real violence shies away from actively seeking it out. Testosterone filled youth with a dualistic idea of a fight is one thing to outgrow where the ego is concerned. Potential and completely emphatic ending of life is another.

If you read what some MMAist have to say about their training (see Dog Brothers....John Kogas linked a nice website once), you get a picture of philosophy concerning what they do. Pragmatism may shine more completely in certain venues, but doesn't necessarily mean it is outside of "DO" or that it doesn't inform the same philosophical constructs in what it attempts to do.

#339167 - 05/03/07 02:19 PM Re: Have we lost the Way [Re: butterfly]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote by Butterfly -

Quote:

despite the physicalness of the endeavor, every legitimate martial artist that I have met who has had a whiff of real violence shies away from actively seeking it out. Testosterone filled youth with a dualistic idea of a fight is one thing to outgrow where the ego is concerned. Potential and completely emphatic ending of life is another.

Seems like "The Way" to me.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga