FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 3
swordy 1
AndyLA 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35581 Topics
432508 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#338991 - 05/02/07 01:24 AM was it really worth it?
shorin-ji Offline

Loc: victoria, b.c, canada
well it all started at about 11:30 pm last saturday when my girlfriend and I got off of the bus. A guy approached us and asked my girlfriend if she had change for a 10, my girlfriend took out 2 fives and he handed her a blank peice of paper and ran. I followed him and confronted him asking him non threateningly but firmly to give me back the money and he ran off again so i chased him with my girlfriend following close by. he finally stopped like he was going to fight when my girlfriend ran up and snatched his hat off his head telling him that he would get his hat back when he gave us back our money. he pushed my girlfriend and raised his fist to her. without even thining I ran at him dropping him with two strong rights to the jaw and cheek, he took me down with him trying to jersey me but i quickly slipped myself out of the shirt and began punching him viciously in the face, then I got up and began kicking him in the ribs witch just made him turtle up. after a few hard kicks i thought he was done and we walked back without the 10 dollors. right as we were getting back to where our taxi was picking us up this guy beaten up from our fight just a few mins before attacks me again. I threw him to the ground and started wrestling with him in the middle of an intersection. I started to feed him shots to the side when people began running out of their cars and picked me up off of him as he was yelling "call the cops" (strangely enough).
at that point I just got into my cab that had arrived while I was fighting this idiot in the street.

after the whole fiasco, altough he was at least 20 (i'm 18) and he was at least 6 inches taller then me and about the same build i had no punches landed on me but i still had a severely strained muscle in my leg and very sore bloody hands (my left hand has 3 decent sized chunks out of it which will definately leave scars.

And now I gotta ask myself, "was it really worth fighting for 10$?" on one side this situation could have ended up a lot worse and on the other side maby the guy will think twice before he tries stealing any other persons money

#338992 - 05/02/07 01:35 AM Re: was it really worth it? [Re: shorin-ji]
clmibb Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Texas, US
Lesson number 1: Never give people change on the street. Direct them to the nearest 24 hour store if you feel the need to help them out.
Lesson number 2: Fighting over any amount of money IMO is always stupid especially that late at night. If he stole your money, call the cops and get the best description of the perp as possible; direction he ran, height, approx. age and so on.
Lesson number 3: Just because your girlfriend is around doesn't mean that you need to be "macho". Speaking from personal experience, we would rather have you unhurt and have lost 10 bucks than spend the rest of my night sitting with you in the ER getting stiches or worse explaining to your parents what happened while you are up in surgery.

Casey

#338993 - 05/02/07 01:56 AM Re: was it really worth it? [Re: clmibb]
shorin-ji Offline

it really wasnt about being "macho" it was just something that kicked in like how a parent would if it happened to their child. my girlfriend is 5 feet tall and he was probably close to 6 and a half

#338994 - 05/02/07 10:11 AM Re: was it really worth it? [Re: shorin-ji]
clmibb Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Texas, US
I debated myself on the right word to use for a while. My original thought was you don't need to go "chingaso" on a guy over 10 bucks but then I realized that most people on here wouldn't know the word chingaso. Not only that but I wasn't too sure on how to spell it properly. Macho I thought was better but it was late and my brain was fried. Maybe I should have said something like "Everyone has a fight or flight reaction to things like that. The fight response isn't the smartest in that situation. "

Casey

#338995 - 05/05/07 12:22 AM Re: was it really worth it? [Re: shorin-ji]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
You see, I should be all 'walk away, its not worth it', but I know that the only difference between your's and mine action if someone robbed my wife in front of me would be I would make sure he couldn't get up for round 2, and I would get the $10 out of his pocket while he lay bloodied on the floor.
Not saying its right, just saying I understand.

#338996 - 05/05/07 10:40 AM Re: was it really worth it? [Re: shorin-ji]
NewJitsu Offline

Loc: Midlands, UK
Guess it depends on your type of personality. If you stew over things, even little things, then sorting that guy out has probably left you with less on your mind than if you'd let him 'get away with it'.

I had a similar situation once when I dropped some money after being to the ATM and some drunk guy picked it up and walked away with it laughing. It was only 20 so I let it go. But even now years later that decision p*sses me off.

P.S. This type of thread usually veers towards the 'What if he'd had a concealed knife?' argument.... In a PC world you probably made the wrong decision but, like Cord, I completely understand why you did what you did.

#338997 - 05/05/07 12:21 PM Re: was it really worth it? [Re: shorin-ji]
Sveninja Offline

Being a student of Ninjitsu, I would say it was not worth it. Ten dollars is nothing these days, but a life is still as priceless as it was 30 years ago. What if that guy had a knife, or gun, or buddies waiting in ambush. Ninja never pursuit unless they were told to kill. Because you chased him, you GAVE him control of the situation. HE could have led you straight into a trap. (Ninja would often have several guards chase a lone operative, and that ninja would led them all into an ambush.) You should consider yourself lucky.

I hate to seem cynical, but thanks to my training I typically don't trust strangers. I would simply say "sorry, we spent it all on dinner and stuff." If you said "sorry, I have larger bills, I cant break a ten" he would sense that you are carrying plenty of cash, and he mightsimply mug you. Not to be sexist, but notice how he walked up to your girlfriend, not you. Thugs will target her over you because men are typically more aggresive, (testosterone, baby!)and thus present more of a threat. Trust me, he had this thing rehearsed in his mind.

#338998 - 05/05/07 12:29 PM Re: was it really worth it? [Re: Sveninja]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Being a student of Ninjitsu

No such thing. Did you mean Ninjutsu?

If this guy had a gun or knife, he just would have used it to rob them. His action of robbery was enough to run the risk of reprisal, so if he had a weapon to deter that, he would have used it in the first place, not tried to pull a confidence trick.
He was a hustler, not a hardened criminal. You are right that he has probably done it hundreds of times before though, and has relied on peoples apathy and lack of action to succeed.

#338999 - 05/05/07 09:03 PM Re: was it really worth it? [Re: Cord]
McSensei Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kent, England
Posted by cxt on the other thread with same name

shorin

Nope, not worth it.

If you look at it objectively you could have gotten killed for $10 bucks.

Could have gotten your girl hurt or killed as well.

I'd say more but the criminal invloved might be reading this and looking to cause trouble for you.

I'd chalk this up to a really good lesson in how to be more aware and what NOT to do.

$10 bucks is a cheap cost to learn.

#339000 - 05/13/07 09:53 PM Re: was it really worth it? [Re: Sveninja]
shorin-ji Offline

Quote:

Being a student of Ninjitsu, I would say it was not worth it. Ten dollars is nothing these days, but a life is still as priceless as it was 30 years ago. What if that guy had a knife, or gun, or buddies waiting in ambush. Ninja never pursuit unless they were told to kill. Because you chased him, you GAVE him control of the situation. HE could have led you straight into a trap. (Ninja would often have several guards chase a lone operative, and that ninja would led them all into an ambush.) You should consider yourself lucky.

I hate to seem cynical, but thanks to my training I typically don't trust strangers. I would simply say "sorry, we spent it all on dinner and stuff." If you said "sorry, I have larger bills, I cant break a ten" he would sense that you are carrying plenty of cash, and he mightsimply mug you. Not to be sexist, but notice how he walked up to your girlfriend, not you. Thugs will target her over you because men are typically more aggresive, (testosterone, baby!)and thus present more of a threat. Trust me, he had this thing rehearsed in his mind.

dont take the ninja thing too seriously, this was just some dumb a**hole who thought he could do this and not get any reprocussions cause it was from a guy who was smaller and a girl.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga