FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 8
trevek 6
futsaowingchun 3
JKogas 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Yesterday at 12:01 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432457 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#338677 - 11/07/07 12:45 PM Re: Martial Arts College Degree [Re: JM2007]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Loc: POM, Monterey CA
JM2007, you are going to need a few years operating capital to pull off such an idea. Some things to consider: 1) Both the Army and Marine Corp have their own H2H training. Anything you would teach for military would have to be similar to that. 2) You will have to have General Education courses (English, Math, Foreign Language, History, etc.). Just to get someone with the appropriate credentials in each category is a lot of time and resources invested, especially as you'll need multiple professors in each area. 3) You will need to have ROTC, which you have to accredit through the DoD, on top of your academic accreditation. You will have to have a few years of accreditation before DoD will even consider you for ROTC. Without ROTC, you cannot guarantee your graduates will become officers.

I think it could work, overall, and I have asked the same question, back before the change over in 2005. It's just time and resources.

#338678 - 11/07/07 08:12 PM Re: Martial Arts College Degree [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
JM2007 Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Bushi_no_ki,

I am sorry if I gave the impression that I was planning on setting up a program to teach military defensive tactics...I was actually just responding to falconhunter2020 regarding his suggestion to try to set something up with the military. In short, I don't think that would be very likely to happen and I am not sure I would be interested in pursuing that anyway.

I'm not concerned about the operating capital at this point. If and when we get to the point of setting up a residential program, financing is available. However, the initial two years won't require it.

You bring up an excellent point about the general education, or core, requirements. However, we will not be teaching ANY of those. They will be required in the curriculum, however, students will be required to complete those at regionally accredited institution. I have already spoken to several colleges in the local area who have indicated an interest in working out an agreement to teach those core requirements for residential students of the AMAC (again, once we get to that point). Accreditation standards don't require that you actually teach those general ed courses, just that you have manageable way to include them, which allows for the use of another university or college (using something usually called a "cross-town agreement").

I have no desire to start an ROTC program...once again, if students are interested in this, they may use a "cross-town agreement."

I think the confusion came when I mentioned using the degree for commissioning purposes. In that regard, I was only speaking in terms of the fact that, if legitimately accredited, the degree would be recognized by the federal government for commissioning purposes, i.e., as a pre-requisite for applying to OCS.

I hope this quells any confusion.

Respectfully, Jason McLendon

#338679 - 11/07/07 11:57 PM Re: Martial Arts College Degree [Re: JM2007]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Loc: POM, Monterey CA
Actually, disregarding ROTC altogether is probably a bad idea as well. Leave your option there open, as a lot of the officers your school teaches will end up at CALL, and would have a hand in further developing the MACP curricula. And if you want the school to be anything martial, you do have to play up the ultimate martial, the military.

#338680 - 11/08/07 08:16 AM Re: Martial Arts College Degree [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
JM2007 Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Bushi_no_ki,

Good point...I haven't yet talked to anyone about that, but it would probably be a good idea to have a cross-town agreement with an ROTC program in the area. That is a long way down the road, though. And, as you stated before, we aren't even accredited yet (which in itself is still a long way down the road). I will keep the future possibility of an ROTC program open.

Thanks for your feedback...respectfully, Jason

#338681 - 12/28/07 03:04 PM Re: Martial Arts College Degree [Re: JM2007]
tigga1723 Offline
Stranger

Loc: coos bay,OR
My name is Thomas and I am a 1st degree in Okinawan Shorin Ryu karate. I have an extensive background in martial arts from Aikido to some shotokan and TKD. I believe that if you can get accredited and the courses all validated that there is a great potential for students. The majority of the posts that I have been reading have been somewhat negative and I would like to be positive. I am a firefighter/EMT and I train daily at either my dojo or a friends dojo. A lot of the postings are correct in the fact that getting a degree does not make you an instructor, time, patience, blood sweat and tears give you the knowledge and experience needed to be a quality instructor/sensei but in achieving that rank, you also learn to be an optimist and look at things from a positive view. The mat time and physical side of the courses should be done at the students local martial arts facility whether its a local dojo or the college. It is a matter of the instructor to feel that the student is good enough to be an instructor, apprentice instr. and so on. that is why a student never asks when, " when am I testing for my next belt?"

One way that might alleviate some of the problems for right now is have potential students to keep training at wherever they are training at now and to look into taking some of the courses outlined in the course curriculum and start in that direction. I know I have some of the courses already at my local college ( anatomy. physiology, cpr & first aid, kinesiology, body mechanics ect) or a health care professional type training area ( personal trainer, nurse, EMT/Paramedic and so on) until things start going smoother, that way if things don't go as planned, they can still work towards some other major degree. Just because you have a degree in that field does not mean that you have to practice in that field.

I have spoken with quite a few of the local instructors in my area and we are definately interested. I will be waiting for further details, while I am waiting I have been going to college for a firefighter/EMT associates so alot of the gen ed classes can just cross over.

thomas

#338682 - 12/28/07 11:05 PM Re: Martial Arts College Degree [Re: MattJ]
JAMJTX Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Fort Wayne, IN
I don't know how I missed this thread after all this time.

This is not a new idea at all. There are plenty of places to go an get a non-accredited martial arts degree, and even a few real colleges that offer programs.

from the web site:
"General Education Core Requirements: All of these requirements must be fulfilled through a regionally-accredited institution or may be tested out of through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES), the ACT PEP Regent's College Examinations, or the Excelsior College Examination Program. All core requirements can be completed through one of these accredited examination programs."
In looking at the web site, all that is offered at this time is that people pay a fee to get a certificate that says they took courses some place else. I assume that if enough money started coming in you would start offering classes and then build from there.

If you are thinking about growing into a real accredited college, you are looking at several decades and hundreds of millions of dollars, if not a billion or more.

If you have legitmate credentials in a martial art you'd be better serving potential students by opening a real dojo and offering real martial arts credentials. Of course then you can start offering other classes and atleast get some kind of charter from your state with the set goal of earning some sort of accredidation.

In the mean time, if I have to go someplace else to take accredited classes, then go to an approved dojo to take martial arts, what value would be added by paying more money for a certificate from any other organization?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga