FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 2
AndyLA 2
Zombie Zero 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
Today at 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
Today at 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432494 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#336680 - 12/04/05 10:33 PM Re: Matt Furey [Re: tomh777]
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta, Canada
LMAO

Chances are, the hindu squats didn't "strengthen" your ligaments, (ligaments are fairly static bands that connect bone) but strengthened your quadriceps and surrounding tendons. (which may have alleviated any patella tracking disorder)

They may have also increased your sinovial fluid production at the knee joint.

But at least we're clear that Matt Furey can't cure ACL tears.

Edited by MikeMartial (12/04/05 10:33 PM)

#336681 - 12/05/05 10:35 PM Re: Matt Furey [Re: MikeMartial]
tomh777 Offline

Loc: Metro Detroit
Thanks for the clarification.

#336682 - 03/01/06 09:05 AM Re: Matt Furey [Re: tomh777]
Infinity Offline
Stranger

Loc: Earth
For those of you who think Matt Furey is God's gift to fitness, I would suggest you read this. Matt Furey's mentor doesn't seems to think very highly of him. His mentor, Karl Gotch, spoke out against him in this letter written about half a year ago. Steve Maxwell and John Du Cane, both who know Karl Gotch have read the letter. They have lost respect for the greedy, money hungry Matt Furey.

http://www.scientificwrestling.com/letter_from_karl.htm

#336683 - 03/01/06 09:11 AM Re: Matt Furey [Re: Infinity]
Infinity Offline
Stranger

Loc: Earth
On a personal note, I have read his Combat Conditioning book, Combat Abs and seen the Combat Conditioning DVD's and the Handstand Power DVD. No "secrets" in the handstand video at all. Very amateur videos, nothing new to learn from the, especially if you're a seasoned athlete and/or martial artist. Matt has lost a lot of friends due to lust for money. John Du Cane no longer speaks or works with him at all, Steve Maxwell certainly has changed his perspective of Mr. Furey. Go here to get flexible:

http://www.stadion.com/

#336684 - 03/02/06 04:44 PM Re: Matt Furey [Re: Infinity]
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I agree 100%. Save you money and spend it on Kurz, not Furey.

On a side not, I found and downloaded some of Furey's videos from a P2P server. Pretty much a total joke.

#336685 - 03/03/06 04:32 AM Re: Matt Furey [Re: MikeMartial]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

I would say he is a joke. I mean, ya have to give the guy credit, he has taken exercises that have been around for years and put them in a book and is making money. The exercises are good, he is just making money on them...More of a con man than a joke...Adverstising that his books offer BIG SECRET exercises...

#336686 - 03/03/06 07:41 PM Re: Matt Furey [Re: JasonM]
imcrazy Offline
cereal killer

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Hehe well I'm back and after reading more into Matt's stuff and other stuff as well, I'm now on the side of the Matt Furey is a joke thing.

I would like to start off by saying, some of his stuff works, just not as well as some other stuff I have tried. Also after seeing formats of other books I must say his is terrible. Almost no detail into how or why said exercise works, not even very well detailed intructions on preforming some techniques.

Yep I'm here to say everything I said earlier was based on me not checking into other sources and actually seeing what else is out there. I even get kinda sick reading what I said ealier and see how really stupid I was haha. Oh well you live and you learn, and this is just an example of how a number of months of learning can make all the difference.

I have kurz's book Scientifically Stretching and haven't read it much yet, so I can't really comment on it. But as it came highly recommended I bought it. Also another book I'm reading at the moment is Ross Enamait's "Underground Guide to Warrior Fitness", although I absolutely hate the title it seems to be very decent. Alot more details on techniques and has other chapters on things like nutrition which I thought was awesome that it was thrown in there. Again I can't really comment on the nutrition area as I myself have not done enough research in to that subject. The book is more detailed, and the guy certainly seems to know what hes talking about, at least a lot more than Furey anyway.

Now I still have a lot of reading to do into the area so take anything I say with that thought in mind. Learning is a process and in that process we learn from our mistakes. And I just learned I made a fool of myself. Hehe oh well....

#336687 - 03/31/06 08:08 AM Re: Matt Furey [Re: imcrazy]
Sven Offline
Stranger

Just a small question.
I am not interested in how or what kind of guy this matt furey is altho I admit i became a bit suspicious when i saw the site and googled for it.

I downloaded his stretching and conditioning series. I have seen alot of nice exercicses on them with some tips. Now my problem is that I am kinda unsure if these exercises are safe. Hindu squats for example: I like to think that those kind of exersices are bad for the knees yet I could be wrong. Thats why I'm asking. and second of all the Isometric stretching part. The exersices look great but as I see it is PNF stretching and many ppl say not to do it every day.

At this moment I'm a taekwondoka in a bad shape desperately looking for a workout that provides strength and flexibility and explosiveness in one and stick to it. But I seem to get lost in the overflow of information not able to see which is real and which is fake. I'm not risking screwing up my body. I already tore my right adductor twice and i still wanna do a side split

So plz help me out on this one. Got 2 weeks of vacation and no solid workout.

#336688 - 03/31/06 06:18 PM Re: Matt Furey [Re: Sven]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Sven. I would look into the Kurz method. And supplement that with work at your local gym If you have a good gym around you then the personal trainers are going to know what kind of excercises will be safe for you due to your injuries. If nothing else just go and speak to them and get some free advice.

To Everyone Else... I realize that this forum went for some time without Moderation and some of you feel as though you can speak in any manner you desire. That is NOT the case. This site is a dojo for all respective purposes and therefore you will conduct yourself in that manner. That means not only courtesy to fellow members here. But also that you will not slander, other websites or MA personalities. Thats not respectful, and while you may have a disagreement or even a grievance with a person or a site, be civil. Or be Gone. First and Last warning.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga