FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#336306 - 06/28/05 10:06 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz* [Re: MikeMartial]
wynnema Offline

Loc: Preston
Quote:

Quote:

Hi Guys, I hear every one Talk about Kurtz. I tried his method few years ago. It did something, but not all the way. I am greatfull for that. I just want to say that my cousin passed on a book to me in January. The method is called elasticsteel. It's a small and inexpensive book. How ever the stuff this guy Paul teaches in there is hot. I had my front split for a while and got my side split a week ago. If any one wants to try his ElastiSteel method. go to ElastiSteel.com it did it for me. Peace.

I smell spam.

This is my thread, about my progress, and not about some new lame method. Kurz's methods are based on science, that's why everyone talks about it.

If it didn't work for you, then you didn't do it right

Mike thought you would be interested in this. Tom Kurz replied to an email I sent him regarding Power High Kicks. I dont know if you have ever seen this video but the guy on it Mac has great kicking flexiblity. According to Kurz, howevewr, he can only do a front split when really warmed up and he cant get close on a side split. Just goes to show dynamic flexilbity is king for kicking.

#336307 - 07/04/05 11:51 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz* [Re: MikeMartial]
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Well, I cornered my head instructor in his office after class tonight and questioned him as to why we don't do dynamic stretching in class (yet I saw him doing it prior to a black belt class)

He stated right off the bat, to my surprise:

"There's a lot of things we do in our warmup that we really shouldn't"

!!!! He stated that Grandmaster Lee had developed the warmup when he trained the Korean military in the 60's and 70's, and at that time, it was "current" as far as fitness knowledge. And, for young, healthy fit soldiers doing it everyday, it worked.

"...but for the average adult coming to class twice, three times a week, it's not that good"

But as to why we do the same one today?

Mr Lee hasn't changed it (the warmup) since then, and I doubt anything will change while he's around"

He also seemed surprised about the dynamic stretching-----he has been doing it himself, yet didn't know the exact science behind dynamic versus static. Interesting. I left it at that.

So there you have it. Being a martial artist and firefighter, I certainly can respect tradition. But, tradition isn't always effective and doesn't always make sense.

#336308 - 08/21/05 10:31 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz* [Re: MikeMartial]
malanr116 Offline

Loc: Indiana
Congrats, and continue the though work.

I'm in TKD also, and we only do dynamic stretches before class. You really should ask your head instructor about the stretches. If your instructor is defensive about this topic, then maybe you need a new instructor. (My first instructor was this way, afraid to inform about "secret" tricks that can make you a better martial artist. Fellow students and I now know that he was afraid of teaching someone to be better than himself. But that is a whole 'nother story.)

KUTGW

#336309 - 08/22/05 10:08 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz* [Re: malanr116]
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

You really should ask your head instructor about the stretches.

I think you may have failed to read the post previous to yours....

....anyways, summer hours are gearing down, and I've enjoyed the summer a bit too much Slacking off from class, and comsuming too many <ahem> cold summer beverages.

I purchased a Century Wave Master, and set it up at one of the firehalls near my house; this will give me access to a bag 24/7 at my convenience. I'd like to bring my left kicks up to speed.

Although this thread is on flexibility, it's really no longer an issue....even over the summer, while MAYBE doing dynamic stretching once a week, I had no "regression" of flexibility. After one set of dynamic leg swings, head high kicks are not a prob at all.

Mr Kurz sure as hell knows what he's talking about.

Static flexibility? Pffft. Who needs it?

Actually, I will make more of an effort in that department. By the time I reach black belt (currently blue) I'd like to be able to do a full split....for no reason other than my own personal goal.

There's more than a few black belts than can't do the splits, yet could probably take my head clean off with a roundhouse kick.

Like always, I will post my progress, flexibility and otherwise.

#336310 - 08/30/05 05:54 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz* [Re: MikeMartial]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Good to see more from you Mike. Due to injuries I haven't been doing much dynamic stretching except for the beginning of class but I too have not seen much regression. Kurtz's book was a good tool ... which I thank you again for sending to me.

Take care and enjoy your summer and look forward to hearing more of your progress.

#336311 - 08/30/05 11:47 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz* [Re: MikeMartial]
mantis_boxing Offline

how are hindu pushups, hindu squats done? thanks

#336312 - 08/31/05 10:23 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz* [Re: Dereck]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

I just bought the book. I did find it useful, but I think some of the reading was above my head. Is it necessary to read the book cover to cover? Any thoughts on utitlizing the book? I mean, do I really need to know all the muscles and joints of the body? Thanks...

#336313 - 08/31/05 12:44 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz* [Re: JasonM]
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

No, it's not essential to read and understand 100% of the book; Mr Kurz goes quite in-depth in regards to neuro-muscle relationship.

It does give an excellent understand of why and how dynamic and static stretching works; for some, this is a need-to-know, for others, it's not essential.

On the other hand, I personally believe a thourough understanding of anatomy and physiology is almost essential to any athlete.

As they say, "Knowledge is Power"

Think of it this way...when you go to the doctor, and he prescibes you medicine, do you ask "why"? Some people don't, and just take the medicine without knowing.

Never stop asking why

#336314 - 08/31/05 12:47 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz* [Re: Dereck]
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Good to hear from you, too, Dereck. I drop by the forums daily, I just don't post a whole lot.

Sorry to hear about your injury, but glad to see you haven't had any regression; it constantly amazes me that I haven't become more inflexible. I don't want to push it past once-a-week workouts, though

#336315 - 09/03/05 06:13 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz* [Re: MikeMartial]
ikklehen Offline

Loc: U.K.
Hya love! I admire your determination to get super flexible with Kurtz help. I think it is possible you need to re-hydrate your body. Creatine is pants I've heard from some members in that it just sends more H20 to the muscles to bulk them up - from my experience, I have had one or two pulled hamstrings due to bad falls in - figure skating!!!! It can take upto 6 weeks to heal with rest! (Just on that hamstring) This won't undermine your stretching and progress, just work on your other muscles and joints and stretch that hamstring but no more as soon as you feel twinge. It may be shockingly stiff but it will heal with TLC and time. Keep the hip joint moving and carry on training be very careful kicking if you have to do that. Fustrating isn't it. You will get what you want. Sometimes I have ultra bendy days and others not. I wonder if hormones and substances in our blood has anything to do with it. I don't know but I have a feeling they must have a part to play - as well as our natural bio-rythms. I will keep looking at your updates, it's really exciting and a good idea. Good luck! xxx

Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga