FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 9
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 4
cxt 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432473 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 12 of 14 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#336296 - 06/01/05 06:25 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz* [Re: MikeMartial]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Good to see you posting again Mike. Keep us updated as you are an insperation.

As for me I was doing the dynamic stretching in the morning when I got up and again at class. 91 days ago I injured my neck and I've since stopped this and weight lifting and going to any TKD classes that have sparring, grappling, punching, throwing and sweeping. Surgery might be in my near future as two vertibra are crushed and a nerve is pinched that is affecting my right hand and arm.

I hope to be on track soon ... I hope. After I stopped weight lifting the only classes I'm going to is kicking days and patterns. I'd still do the dynamic stretching in class and on one day I was phenominal. I did my stretches, kicked a wave master and actual roundhouse kicked over top of it. It was at above 5'9" so that would head height for a lot of people. Then we did kicking drills on heavy bags and I couldn't go wrong. Other classes other people and myself are amazed at how much higher I can kick once warmed up. Mind you I can't do this all of the time but when I'm relaxed and stretched good ... things are way better.

Again, thanks for your help and sending me the book. Once I'm back on track I will be re-evaluating my work out (weights/stretching) to benefit me more.

#336297 - 06/01/05 08:33 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz* [Re: Dereck]
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Quote:

Surgery might be in my near future as two vertibra are crushed and a nerve is pinched that is affecting my right hand and arm.

!!! Holy hell, Dereck, that sounds like a nasty, nasty injury. I wish you the best in healing up.

Glad to see the dynamic stretching has helped you out also. It seems to be catching on a bit at my school, mostly with the new junior belts. Static stretching prior to class still seems to be the mainstay of most people, though.

Speaking of wavemasters....aren't they great for kicking height? We have one also that I pull out occasionally before class to practice on.

Just don't try an axe kick....I made an ass out of myself and landed an axe kick square on the top....and since the wavemaster doesn't move, well, I did...straight to the floor!

I'm hoping to add one to my home gym in the future.

#336298 - 06/14/05 03:26 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz* [Re: MikeMartial]
DizzyDogg6803 Offline

When you refer to leg swings, are you talking about leg raises in the front, back, and side? Like when your doing it in the front, you just lift the leg as high as you can and bring it back down.

Edited by DizzyDogg6803 (06/14/05 03:27 AM)

#336299 - 06/15/05 06:04 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz* [Re: DizzyDogg6803]
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Yes.

Check the homepage at fightingarts.com for articles regarding dynamic stretching.

#336300 - 06/22/05 10:28 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz* [Re: MikeMartial]
jabber Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Mike,

I`m really enjoying your thread- keep us posted.

I`m very curious to hear any explaination your instructor may give you in response to why he does dynamic stretching but does not encourage his students too.
Luckily, my instructor shares all of his knowledge with us, posssibly there is a valid reason why yours has`nt...please ask and tell.

Jabber

#336301 - 06/22/05 05:41 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz* [Re: jabber]
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

Hi Mike,

I`m really enjoying your thread- keep us posted.

I`m very curious to hear any explaination your instructor may give you in response to why he does dynamic stretching but does not encourage his students too.
Luckily, my instructor shares all of his knowledge with us, posssibly there is a valid reason why yours has`nt...please ask and tell.

Jabber

Thanks Jabber! Glad people are responding to my general ramblings on my progress (or lack thereof)

I have class tonight, so I'll ask about the dynamic stretching. I had actually forgotten about that--thanks for the reminder.

I'm pretty sure "tradition" will be the basis of the answer. We have a set structure to class, and I've only ever seen a few instructors deviate from this---one of them being our head instructor. I'll see what he has to say.

Not much in the way of change for me. Summer hours have hit our dojang, so training time won't be as flexible.

I have noticed a slight increase in back discomfort---perhaps a weakening? I dropped my weight routine a few months back, so I suspect this may be the cause. I know a solid resistance training program would only help my martial arts training, but I find it hard to incorporate it into my already erratic schedule.

Interesting side note:

My IT bands and hamstrings are now as loose as they have ever been. Prior to training in TKD, I had VERY tight IT bands, and obviously poor hamstring flexibility. Now, my massage therapist always comments on how loose my IT bands and hams are. I have zero discomfort from either manual massage or use of a foam roller for self massage.

I have focused a lot of extra effort into my hamstrings, but zero into my IT bands---I'd guess this is just a positive side effect of high kicking.

#336302 - 06/23/05 03:27 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz* [Re: MikeMartial]
pushuper Offline

Hi Guys, I hear every one Talk about Kurtz. I tried his method few years ago. It did something, but not all the way. I am greatfull for that. I just want to say that my cousin passed on a book to me in January. The method is called elasticsteel. It's a small and inexpensive book. How ever the stuff this guy Paul teaches in there is hot. I had my front split for a while and got my side split a week ago. If any one wants to try his ElastiSteel method. go to ElastiSteel.com it did it for me. Peace.

#336303 - 06/23/05 11:31 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz* [Re: pushuper]
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

Hi Guys, I hear every one Talk about Kurtz. I tried his method few years ago. It did something, but not all the way. I am greatfull for that. I just want to say that my cousin passed on a book to me in January. The method is called elasticsteel. It's a small and inexpensive book. How ever the stuff this guy Paul teaches in there is hot. I had my front split for a while and got my side split a week ago. If any one wants to try his ElastiSteel method. go to ElastiSteel.com it did it for me. Peace.

I smell spam.

This is my thread, about my progress, and not about some new lame method. Kurz's methods are based on science, that's why everyone talks about it.

If it didn't work for you, then you didn't do it right

#336304 - 06/27/05 05:41 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz* [Re: MikeMartial]
wynnema Offline

Loc: Preston
Can someone ban this guy he is spamming all over the forum with these "stories"

#336305 - 06/27/05 07:15 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz* [Re: MikeMartial]
jabber Offline

Loc: UK

I`ve just ordered the book - should be here on Thurs!!!

Page 12 of 14 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga