FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 11 of 14 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#336286 - 01/30/05 10:43 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Update:

Still making gains in height through dynamic leg swings; even with my new resistance training, I haven't seen any increased tightness, or decrease in flexibility

I'm doing legs swings as a warmup prior to both TKD and weight training. Even with DOMS the next day, I don't notice and decreased performance with kicking in class.

I tried some isometric stretching for my adductors the other day----WOW, was I sore. I'll have to take it easy with those.

Problem areas:

After a year and a half of TKD now, I'm realizing it's not just legs and hips that hinder kicking height; my left side turning kick (roundhouse) isn't as smooth because my left torso (think left lateral ribcage area) is much tighter than my right. Actually, I'm just tighter on my left in general, lol.
But it is coming slowly.

#336287 - 01/30/05 01:02 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi I dont know if this is the Kurz way or not but b4 i knew anything about Kurz i did the static stretches a little then did the dynamic stratches afterwards to my limit and straight away (just kicking my highest sideways, up and behind) and then did my high kicks, by this technique i achieved no soreness ever and in my less than 3 months of training from scratch i can now kick to head height cold, with side or roundhouse kicks. Is this technique the Kurz way and maybe u should try this out. i did read to keep away from doing static stretches at all b4 kicking but ive never had any problems and that is the way all martial art gyms work and they dont seem to have many injuries either (though they may become flexible less readily). I have never attempted the splits though which i do now regret, but im not sure of their importance as i have been getting higher and higher by my method without the splits. any advice?? and btw dont u all find that if u begin stretching dynamically straight away, even if starting off slowly and rising to the limit u still get pain and soreness and possible pulling that makes the following kicks harder. thats one reason i prefer to static stretch first b4 moving onto the stretches that can disallow ur stretching if overdone.

Whatyathink?
Ayub

#336288 - 01/30/05 02:05 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ayub:

Whatyathink?
Ayub
[/QUOTE]

No.

#336289 - 01/31/05 11:05 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MikeMartial:
No.

[/QUOTE]

please explain.....

#336290 - 01/31/05 12:08 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

If you have read anything from Kurz, then you will understand why passive static stretching prior to working out could be harmful; and on the other hand, why doing dynamic stretching prior is helpful.

On the other hand, I would say do what works for you. Yes, many many martial artists have been "doing it this way" for many years. But doing it properly just means less energy wasted.

Besides, this isn't the subject of this thread, anyways.

#336291 - 02/01/05 12:46 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: San Francisco
Mike - As per Email.

#336292 - 02/01/05 03:04 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UKfightfreak:
Mike - As per Email.[/QUOTE]

Got it [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

#336293 - 02/04/05 01:14 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
Anonymous
Unregistered

it s been a long time since my last post
my flexibility has improve a little specially in for roundhouse kick but i ve notice that my speed has decreased. maybe the weight lifting have to do something whith this. the last month i ve been dedicated to imoprove my strenght with squats and deadlifts in order to make isometrics (actually a lift 240 pounds doing squats and 180 pounds in deadlift)
how can improve my velocity? what about pliometrics? thanks a lot

#336294 - 05/20/05 08:50 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz* [Re: MikeMartial]
ken harding Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: UK
Well done for keeping this going Mike. I shall start back on the track again once the mucles in my legs and groin finally heal up. It's been a long slog but inspiring to read of your progress. Well done mate!

#336295 - 05/31/05 01:36 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz* [Re: ken harding]
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Hey Ken, good to see you here again.

Not much in the way of progress for me; I still do dynamic stretching before class, but that's all.

Since the summer weather has hit, I've been doing more rock climbing and mountain biking than TKD. I'm still in class about twice a week, so that's the extent of my stretching routine.

My left ham has flared up a bit, at the insertion point high at the ischium of the pelvis. It doesn't bother me once I'm warmed up, but does nag me in the morning when I get up from a sitting position.

I recently purchased a book called Core Performance by Mark Verstegen. It's an excellent resource for any athlete, and has a great section on AIS (Assisted Isometric Stretching) and self-myofascial release using a foam roller.

I've added both of these elements on my days off---the foam roller is fantastic for tight IT bands.

So, despite my slacking off, kicks are still at head hieght. Left leg kicks lag behind in ROM and hieght, but progress is still being made.

In the little time I have before class, I do my warmup routine and then hit the heavy bag with turning (roundhouse) kicks; I'm convinced if I had a bag at home, I could pick up my left kicks. Taking time to disect the mechainc of the kick has helped a great deal.

I'm made the often sought-after FULL SPLIT a goal to be reached by the time I obtain my black belt---and that's a few years away. For me, this is more realistic as far as a time frame.

Page 11 of 14 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga