FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by MattJ
10/28/10 08:51 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 10 of 14 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#336276 - 01/05/05 04:35 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: San Francisco
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dereck:
Hey Mike,

On one of your earliest posts in this thread you had mentioned you had an extra copy of Thomas Kurz's Science of Stretching. I was wondering if you still have this extra copy that I could purchase from you?

I went into West Edmonton Mall on the weekend and visited some book stores. They had it in their data bases for $28.99 + GST but nobody had stock at any of their stores in Edmonton. I couldn't care a less about the price per say as long as I can get my hands on a copy. You had mentioned you ordered one through Amazon but if you still have that extra copy this would probably do both of us a favor. If not let me know and I will order it. Thanks
[/QUOTE]

buy it direct from www.stadion.com I ordered the new edition of stretching scientifically and it came within a few days (and I'm in the UK!)

#336277 - 01/05/05 11:38 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Tao of Chris: Good to hear from you, I think UKFF just posted the link.

Aoshi: I'm 6'1, and yes, I can kick head height. Cold? Never tried. I might leave that until I can do a full split [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] As for the double and triple roundhouse---bag work. Lots of it.

Dereck: Yup, still have that copy around here somewhere. 25 bucks and it's yours, if you want. Just let me know.

#336278 - 01/06/05 08:12 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

[QUOTE]Originally posted by aoshi:
thanks mike
i was curious about how much tall are you and if you can kick above your head with no warm up
As you practice tkd i asume can perform double or triple round house kicks or other combination ie mawashi geri+ura mawashigeri or mae geri + mawashi geri + ura mawashi geri ( i mean kicking twice the head or head-chest or head-ches-legs without putting your foot in the floor pretty much like hwoarang in TEKKEN) if it is so can you tell me how should i train to get it. its no my intention to be like hwoarang but i ll take my exam for first dan in karate by march and i very weak in this issue may be you can give some tips about it
and please ,UKFF ,dont be shy i want your advice too since you two have demostrated that you know a LOT!!!! it would be usefull a second opinion [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]
thanks a lot i hope not to bother
[/QUOTE]

Well I'm 6'1" & Head height cold? - easy!

I take it your chambering the kicks (i.e. holding your leg and snapping the round house kicks back and forth.

It might be worth looking at the static ative stretching in the kurz book, although this won't improve your kicking technique it will at least condition the muscles so you can hold it up easily.

#336279 - 01/09/05 06:45 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
Anonymous
Unregistered

HY GUYS
let me introduce myself first im from Peru and i am 27 and practice karate shotokan since i was 22 i ve been readings your posts and i have to say that i learn a lot thank you guys for such a usefull site.
i ve been practicing with dynamic streching (leg raises front back and side)for three months and i could say that my roundhouse kick has improved so far i can kick to level of my head cold (im 1.70 m ) but i`ve notice that im a bit stuck cause the height of my kicks doesnt improve anymore
my goal is to kick as hight as a 1.9 m high person is that impossible for me due to my age? maybe i need more strength in my adductors
What else should i do to get that goal?
i would really apreciate some help
thank you

#336280 - 01/11/05 07:26 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kid muscle:
HY GUYS
let me introduce myself first im from Peru and i am 27 and practice karate shotokan since i was 22 i ve been readings your posts and i have to say that i learn a lot thank you guys for such a usefull site.
i ve been practicing with dynamic streching (leg raises front back and side)for three months and i could say that my roundhouse kick has improved so far i can kick to level of my head cold (im 1.70 m ) but i`ve notice that im a bit stuck cause the height of my kicks doesnt improve anymore
my goal is to kick as hight as a 1.9 m high person is that impossible for me due to my age? maybe i need more strength in my adductors
What else should i do to get that goal?
i would really apreciate some help
thank you

[/QUOTE]

Lol - because of you age! You're a spring chicken.

You are probably struggling with more height du to your hip position. If you are flexibile enough tilting your hips forward (stick your bum out!) and then do the side leg swings, it should help.

Other wise it could be tightness in your hips and/or a weak lower back could be the culprit.

#336281 - 01/11/05 01:33 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks for your answer i will began to practice as you said but i want to know something do you really think that i can achieve my goal to kick above 6 feet ( im 5.5 feet)
i was forgeting something... about side raising leg Do i need to keep the supporting leg static or should i move it at the same time with the raising leg ?
and in the case i have to keep my supporting leg static the toes should point to the front or the side?
my sensei always made me practice a hundred of kicks (mawashi - ura mawashi etc )therefore, i always end exhausted and the next day my muscles were sore so whats your opinion should i keep trying this or it will be against my flexibility?
well thamks alot and i hope hear (well read je je) something from you soon [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

#336282 - 01/11/05 01:42 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks mike
i was curious about how much tall are you and if you can kick above your head with no warm up
As you practice tkd i asume can perform double or triple round house kicks or other combination ie mawashi geri+ura mawashigeri or mae geri + mawashi geri + ura mawashi geri ( i mean kicking twice the head or head-chest or head-ches-legs without putting your foot in the floor pretty much like hwoarang in TEKKEN) if it is so can you tell me how should i train to get it. its no my intention to be like hwoarang but i ll take my exam for first dan in karate by march and i very weak in this issue may be you can give some tips about it
and please ,UKFF ,dont be shy i want your advice too since you two have demostrated that you know a LOT!!!! it would be usefull a second opinion [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]
[/QUOTE]

guys you are the best thanks for replaying

#336283 - 01/11/05 01:55 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks mike
[/QUOTE]

thanks for replaying you guys are the best

#336284 - 01/24/05 01:52 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
Anonymous
Unregistered

yo...i ordered tom kurtz book i wont have it till mid feb...i dont do martial arts but i do ballet and i really need to improve my flexibility to move up a grade.any1 who got this book did it help u with flexibility in the legs...also icant get my leg higher then 90 degrees does this book improve that aswell...and i so wanna do the slpits...has any1achieved this since getting the book.

#336285 - 01/26/05 12:53 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

[QUOTE]Originally posted by laura:
yo...i ordered tom kurtz book i wont have it till mid feb...i dont do martial arts but i do ballet and i really need to improve my flexibility to move up a grade.any1 who got this book did it help u with flexibility in the legs...also icant get my leg higher then 90 degrees does this book improve that aswell...and i so wanna do the slpits...has any1achieved this since getting the book.[/QUOTE]

Because of this book I can kick head height cold and can do side splits with no warm up and with a short warm up I can do front splits with my toes up and down.

Have fun...

Page 10 of 14 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga