FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 9
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 4
cxt 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432473 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 9 of 14 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 13 14 >
Topic Options
#336266 - 12/29/04 02:24 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: San Francisco
[QUOTE]Originally posted by in the shadows:
well I`m back to square one. You say you think Kurz book is worth it. The 50 means nothing to me. I just hate to buy a book with basic pix of some guy doing stretches that everyone already knows. It`s like buying a weightlifting book where a guy tells you how to bench or do curls. The whole world already knows this. If you honestly tell me that his book has helped you stretch further than you could have on your own, I`ll buy it and try it. I will also tell you my progress. This is the best post on the whole site, keep being honest!
Danny (in the shadows)
[/QUOTE]

If you know what Dynamic, Isometric and static active and static passive stretching is and you can acheive a full split in any direction with no warm up and kick cold at any time of the day with no warm up, then you will benefit from 'READING' this book.

If you look at the pictures - and don't read the words it will be useless as I have personally read many books on bodybuilding, exercise, manytimes I will see pictures that look exactly the same as the previous books, but when you read what they have got to say about it, it can improve your form greatly.

The pictures alone paint a picture of static stretching which most MA out there will all know about, if you want to see some impressive pictures of contortion, buy a yoga book - or a book on contortion.

#336267 - 12/29/04 02:37 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dan,
Since fifty bucks is no object for you, who cares? Go for it. I, for one, will be interested in your progress. What are your goals? Splits, high kicks?

Mine are high kicks. I want to be able to do head-high front, side, roundhouse, back kicks on a 6' person. Right now, I'm maybe a little above waist-high. I'm not noticing much in the way of gains, so have cut back training to every other day.

#336268 - 12/29/04 06:20 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Just thought, you can get tons of info from www.stadion.com/column.html, these are copies of the column that appears in the TKD Times.

#336269 - 12/31/04 10:30 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
Anonymous
Unregistered

hy mike
sorry by jacking your post but i really need some help. Since i very interested in stretching methodds i have to say that dynamic stretches are a great thing in only a month i ve improved my joint movility a lot however i have some problems with the side raising
i dont know exactly what should be the position of the suporting leg i have tried several ways since the articles i found in stadion.COM are not very specific in this issue. I begging for your help

the first way: the toes of my supporting leg point to front during all the movement so my supporting leg is static

the second: initially the toes of my supporting leg point to the front and during the movement my heel moves to side with the raising leg and when the leg goes down my heel return to the initial position so my supporting moves with the raising leg

the third: as in the first way my supporting leg is static but my foot (with toes pointing to the other side) are almost in a line with raising leg.

what of these three methods is correct?
maybe some could be more explicit

i would appreciate you answer i hope dont be a pain in the ass
happy new year

#336270 - 12/31/04 10:50 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Hey Aoshi!

No problem on the post-jacking...this question comes up a lot.

Personally, I find that my supporting foot naturally gravitates to pointing away from my raising leg---much like a sidekick, and that's the way it should be!

I've seen various replies on other boards to this question. Some people say keep the supporting foot straight, while others say let it turn. Kurz does seem to be a bit vague on this.

The way I look at it, your hips are better aligned for a higher kick if your foot turns away.

Try both; as long as you are doing the dynamic leg swings twice a day, and achieving max height each and every session, you will make progress.

Oh, and for the record: I let my foot turn out. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Happy New Year!

#336271 - 12/31/04 11:35 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Ok, I've decided to pull my finger out.

I plan to sort out my training again and go for a suspended split.

I have been out of training for a few months (I have some poor excuses, but thats all they are). Anyway I think it will take me a few months to get my deadlift and squat sorted and my abs and back up to pace.

So I'm not going to set silly targets but in six months I plan to be well on the way if not there.

So along with Mike I will also post my progress with Kurz (If you don't mind of course Mike [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] )

#336272 - 12/31/04 01:28 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Happy to have you post here, UKFF!

Hopefully, we BOTH can make some good progress in 2005. I haven't started deadlifting yet, but my squat weight is coming back nicely. It'll be a long time time untill I can throw 315 on the bar (if ever again!) but the weight gradually goes up every week.

No TKD since about the 16th of Dec, and next class is Jan 3rd. Can't wait to get back!

Review: Bought myself "Power High Kicks With No Warmup" Dvd by Mac Mierzejewski. I haven't watched the whole Dvd, but what I've seen isn't bad at all. Mac throws some very fluid and high kicks with ease, and there's lots of slow motion shots.

Nothing so far is groud-breaking; Mac is a great martial artist, that makes it look easy. How that translates into *me*, joe average, throwing beautiful high kicks remains to me be seen. Nice clips of him in some full-contact, no equipment sparring, though.

#336273 - 01/02/05 08:28 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello all,
New to the forum, but a life long martial artist and very interesting in discussing Kurz stretching methods.

I grew up in TKD, so as a teen, the splits were easy, even though I was taught and practiced the stretches incorrectly. Now, at 35, I have bone spurs in my hip and arthritis. Thus, I don't do the splits anymore.

However, I am unlearning my bad habits and teaching myself new ways to stretch. I have Kurz book and video and have enjoyed them, but I am having trouble figuring out just how to create a daily program. I am getting more flexible again, but the inflamation and pain after each workout is pretty intense. I would love to exchange workout programs with some of you and see if I can learn from you.

Also, what is Kurz's website?

#336274 - 01/03/05 05:28 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks mike
i was curious about how much tall are you and if you can kick above your head with no warm up
As you practice tkd i asume can perform double or triple round house kicks or other combination ie mawashi geri+ura mawashigeri or mae geri + mawashi geri + ura mawashi geri ( i mean kicking twice the head or head-chest or head-ches-legs without putting your foot in the floor pretty much like hwoarang in TEKKEN) if it is so can you tell me how should i train to get it. its no my intention to be like hwoarang but i ll take my exam for first dan in karate by march and i very weak in this issue may be you can give some tips about it
and please ,UKFF ,dont be shy i want your advice too since you two have demostrated that you know a LOT!!!! it would be usefull a second opinion [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]
thanks a lot i hope not to bother

#336275 - 01/04/05 11:38 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Mike,

On one of your earliest posts in this thread you had mentioned you had an extra copy of Thomas Kurz's Science of Stretching. I was wondering if you still have this extra copy that I could purchase from you?

I went into West Edmonton Mall on the weekend and visited some book stores. They had it in their data bases for $28.99 + GST but nobody had stock at any of their stores in Edmonton. I couldn't care a less about the price per say as long as I can get my hands on a copy. You had mentioned you ordered one through Amazon but if you still have that extra copy this would probably do both of us a favor. If not let me know and I will order it. Thanks

Page 9 of 14 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 13 14 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga