FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 7 of 14 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#336246 - 11/12/04 04:51 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mike,
Thanks so much for responding. This is by far one of the most useful threads on this site.

1. As far as reps, I'm assuming you now do 2 sets (of 10 reps each) per leg: front, side, back? I'll follow your advice and see what happens for me. (Also will do strength work on ab+adductor pull downs with resistance).

2. Any stretching advice for keeping my toes pointing down and out of the way for proper strike in a roundhouse kick? My toes don't like to get out of the way and are constantly getting messed up in RH kicks.

#336247 - 11/13/04 11:08 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta, Canada
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DP07:
Mike,
Thanks so much for responding. This is by far one of the most useful threads on this site.

1. As far as reps, I'm assuming you now do 2 sets (of 10 reps each) per leg: front, side, back? I'll follow your advice and see what happens for me. (Also will do strength work on ab+adductor pull downs with resistance).

2. Any stretching advice for keeping my toes pointing down and out of the way for proper strike in a roundhouse kick? My toes don't like to get out of the way and are constantly getting messed up in RH kicks.
[/QUOTE]

1. Yes, that's pretty much it now. Remember, though: effort given = results recieved. If I put in as much time as I did when I was trying to make gains, I still would be.

2. Funny you mention toes and roundhouse kicks. We are taught to strike with the ball of our foot, toes pulled back, in the style of TKD I'm in now. When I was in karate, we were taught to strike with our instep, toes pointed.

I've found it's much harder to execute a roundhouse with the toes pulled back--our head instructor calls is "floppy foot syndrome", hehe. Other than practice, practice, practice. Working on a heavy bag will help a great deal here.

#336248 - 11/13/04 05:02 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
karate-do Offline

Loc: Wales
ive since read the book now and use dynamic stretches twice a day but when i started stretching i went from waist high side kicks to head height side kicks in 4 weeks i think equal progress can be made with static stretching in the early phases but once your flexibility is decent dynamic stretching plays a much bigger role.

#336249 - 11/14/04 09:59 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
Anonymous
Unregistered

all i do to help with my strecthing is do splits anytime of day that i can and hae free time, if you are really on-going about it ull have good stectches and higher kicking heights in notime (few months i would say)

#336250 - 11/17/04 09:09 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
Anonymous
Unregistered

HY MIKE
I ve been following your posts for a time and i really think this forum its a great idea.
1 you said that in order to develop dynamic flex its necessary to doing leg raises (front, back ,side) in the morning. But i dont kwon if a previous warm up is needed?
2 what do you think about PNF method? is it better or worse than isometric stretches ?
3 How many times a week do you do passive stactic stretches? and how many repetitions per muscular group do you do?
4 what would you recomend me to improve height in my roundhouse kicks beside the dynamic stretches ?

#336251 - 11/17/04 03:32 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: San Francisco
[QUOTE]Originally posted by aoshi:
HY MIKE
I ve been following your posts for a time and i really think this forum its a great idea.
1 you said that in order to develop dynamic flex its necessary to doing leg raises (front, back ,side) in the morning. But i dont kwon if a previous warm up is needed?
2 what do you think about PNF method? is it better or worse than isometric stretches ?
3 How many times a week do you do passive stactic stretches? and how many repetitions per muscular group do you do?
4 what would you recomend me to improve height in my roundhouse kicks beside the dynamic stretches ?
[/QUOTE]

Sorry to but in,

1. A few minutes of marching on the spot to warm the body, followed by joint rotations should be enough - some people have to do more than others, if you are young, a few mins should be fine.
2. To do Isometrics in the way tom kurz performs them, they use PNF principles.
3. Personally I only do static stretches after training, so about 3 or 4 times per week, this normally sees me to a decent split, and I normally spend around 15 - 30 seconds per stretch and normally do it twice, depending on how I feel.
4. Use correct strenthening exercises to increase your ability to perform them - dynamic stretches will help with height, but not power. Again go to www.stadion.com for advice.

#336252 - 11/18/04 03:56 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
Anonymous
Unregistered

hy ukff
thank you for your replay
im 24 and i dont know if its too late for me attempting splits
i can see that you are and expert in this issue and i want to ask you something
1 how many times a week should i do isometric stretches ?(dont worry for my strenght its ok [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] )
2 what would happen if i do dynamic stretches 3 times a day?
3 what muscles should i stretch to do slipts (both side and front)
well thats all thank you

#336253 - 12/02/04 08:46 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta, Canada
So, I've finally got a strength-training program going in addition to my regular TKD classes. It was put together by a certified trainer and former kickboxer, so I'm excited to see results.

A lot of it focuses on core stability and proprioception, so it's free weights/balance boards/stability balls. I'd done the workout (which is full-body, and for now, that's fine) a few times, and it rocks.

My adductors have taken a beating, though. But, once I'm warmed up in class, it doesn't seem to affect my kicks. As long as I'm diligent about stretching, I'm looking forward to gains in flexibility secondary to strength grains.

Also....I've started seeing a chiropracter again, who specializes in A.R.T. (Active Release Therapy); it's basically a deep myofascial massage. Because of my previous hamstring injuries, and at prompting from my regular massage therapist, I've looked into this. And?

It's made an obvious difference in my ROM (range of motion) of my left hip and leg. What I thougt was scar tissue in my hamstring that was causing my kicking difficulties was actually scar tissue in my HIP. Makes sense. AT any rate, problem is fixed, and now my left versus right kicks are very close to equal again as far as power and height.

I've rambled enough for now. Belt testing in a week!

#336254 - 12/03/04 08:47 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: San Francisco
[QUOTE]Originally posted by aoshi:
hy ukff
thank you for your replay
im 24 and i dont know if its too late for me attempting splits
i can see that you are and expert in this issue and i want to ask you something
1 how many times a week should i do isometric stretches ?(dont worry for my strenght its ok [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] )
2 what would happen if i do dynamic stretches 3 times a day?
3 what muscles should i stretch to do slipts (both side and front)
well thats all thank you

[/QUOTE]

As for attempting a split anyone in the right condition can go for it, in the end a 24 year old unfit individual will struggle more than a 54 year old who is fit and strong.

Before anything make sure you can run (not jog) for around two miles taking large strides.

1/ Isometrics - unless you can squat your bodyweight on a barbell easily for 10 reps and deadlift twice your bodyweight for 1 or 2 reps don't bother doing them. Get strong first or else you will probably just get injured, or cause injuries to your back, at the moment I have had a lay off so I am not doing isometrics - because I'm sensible.

2/As long as you do not get fatuige from dynamic stretches 3 times is ok, but really a morning stretch and a stretch before training should suffice (so twice is fine)

3/concentrate on adductor (inside of leg) and hamstring stretches. But in the end the best stretch for a split - is a split!

#336255 - 12/10/04 05:38 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
Anonymous
Unregistered

UKFightFreak: are you talking isometrics or plyometrics? I've often heard the advice to be able to squat one and a half times your body weight and deadlift at least your body weight in regards to some plyometric excercises, but never about isometrics. The definitions I'm thinking of for the two have plyometrics going from full extension to full contraction in as little time as possible for explosive power such as a drop jump whereas isometrics would be to push or pull against a stationary object in order to make muscle more toned such as trying to curl a countertop.

Page 7 of 14 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga