FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
AndyLA 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 6 of 14 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#336236 - 07/14/04 12:22 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Well, gains keep coming. I think I'm at the point now where my muscles are a lot more conditioned that before; max flexibility comes very quickly, and my muscles aren't sore the next day.

Right sided kicks feel smooth, and very controlled. On the other hand, left sided kicks still feel awkward and restricted at times. I'll have to work on that.

Still using the pulley-leg stretcher---I like it, as I stated last week. I've noticed my hamstring stretches are progressing, but adductor (abductor?) inner thigh muscles need work---when sitting on the floor, legs spread apart, I have a *VERY* difficult time lowering my torso to the ground. I'm not sure if this is lower back or some type of hip inflexibility.

At any rate, I'm injury-free, and progress is there, and even if a little, I'm happy.

#336237 - 07/14/04 08:21 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: San Francisco
Adductor = inside of leg
Abductor = outside of leg

legs apart, torso down, mailing a lower back stretch.

#336238 - 09/21/04 08:58 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Long time no post!

I got hit pretty hard this summer with a chest infection (go figure) and had to take a whole month of training off. But I've been back at it a while.

No major changes; starting to incorporate hindu squats and some upper body strengthing, and that's about the only new item. What I want to do and what I end up doing always seems different.

--As far as flexibility, it is increasing, but slowly. My left side kick now feel a helluva lot smoother than a few months ago. Very little if any hip pain at all, and range of motion has gradually increased. I'm still sticking to the same dynamic legs swings, and passive stretching on days off/after class.

I have no doubt that if I added more, I'd become more flexible, faster. Between work, summer holidays, chest infections, and great weather for mountain biking, I've found it a bit hard. I plan on testing in Dec, so as it gets colder, I'll be in the dojang more.

[This message has been edited by MikeMartial (edited 09-22-2004).]

#336239 - 11/07/04 05:12 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
Anonymous
Unregistered

hy mike
im from peru im 22 years old and i ve been practicing karate since i was 18
it is a great idea posting your progress with with KUrz i use to read his articles in his site and i have some doubts maybe you can answer:
martial artists have to develop dynamic stretching (according to kurz leg raises are the way)so whats the reason for isometric stretching ?
what are you doing to MAKE your kicks higher?
Do your goal is making splits?
i hope not bother you with my questions
i ll very glad if you answer
thank you

#336240 - 11/07/04 06:32 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
Anonymous
Unregistered

I, too, am interested in this one. Is there anyone on this forum who has actually gone from, say, knee-high to head-high kicks using Kurz's methods? If so, what were your workouts really like?

#336241 - 11/09/04 12:52 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey everyone this is my first post on this form, but I have read up some on kurz's dynamic stretching and have been trying to implement it in to my routine.

I was wondering if anyone had noticed that the stretches are a lot like ballet. My girlfriend did ballet for something like 10 years and I have been telling her about these stretches and they are almost exactly like what she used to do. I guess it makes sense they have pretty high kicks in ballet.

#336242 - 11/09/04 10:58 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Easily, ***EASILY*** have gone from waist-high kicks to head high kicks, with only dynamic and passive stretching. If I had to pick one, and only one form of stretching, it would be dynamic.

And no, heh, haven't even come close to a full split. I'd be the first to admit I don't work on my static stretching; since I've made so many gains using only dynamic, I doubt I'll attempt a full split.

But it does amaze me how high I can kick, yet appear so inflexible during passive static stretching.

Attaining full dynamic flexibility seems to come a lot faster, like Kurz had mentioned in his book. I do only one or two sets of legs swings (front/back/side), so 6 total, before class, and I'm good to go.

#336243 - 11/10/04 04:35 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mike,
1. You say you went EASILY from waist-high to head high kicks. How long did it take to reach head high from waist?

2. You also say you did/do 2 sets of front, back, and side leg raises. Did you use a "target" to keep raising your leg higher and higher?

3. What, when, and how often was your static (relaxed or isometric) stretching done? Same question for dynamic raises.

4. Finally, I can kick head high to the front, but cannot from the side or back. Is this unusual? What this results in is that I can't kick head high in a roundhouse.

Thanks for responding

#336244 - 11/10/04 06:36 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: San Francisco
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DP07:

4. Finally, I can kick head high to the front, but cannot from the side or back. Is this unusual? What this results in is that I can't kick head high in a roundhouse.

[/QUOTE]

This is normal, as difficulty in side kicks are usually the result of poor adductor strenth and kicks to the rear rely more on trunk strenth.

Also for both the mechanics of doing the kick are a lot harder than front.

#336245 - 11/12/04 12:18 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DP07:
Mike,
1. You say you went EASILY from waist-high to head high kicks. How long did it take to reach head high from waist?

2. You also say you did/do 2 sets of front, back, and side leg raises. Did you use a "target" to keep raising your leg higher and higher?

3. What, when, and how often was your static (relaxed or isometric) stretching done? Same question for dynamic raises.

Thanks for responding
[/QUOTE]

1. Probably about 2 or 3 months; I know Kurz says it can be done in a much shorter period of time, but you have to consider age/current flexibility/time to commit to stretching. That being said, it's been the last 3 months of a year of training that I've noticed head-high kicks that come easily.

2. I *now* only do two sets----when I started out, I'd do at least 4 sets per leg, per direction, twice a day. And no, I never did use my hand as a target. I did at first for front leg swings, but I never did for side---I could never touch my foot [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] Theory of the target is to stop the swing from becoming balistic. I just ease into the legs swings, and try to "swing" my leg, not fire it as high as it will go.

3. Relaxed passive stretching: only ever done after class now, when I am fully warmed up. After my first hamstring injury, my physiotherapist recommended multiple intervals of passive relaxed stretching throughout the day; not a bad idea, but there are more effective ways to gain flexibility.

Isometrics: Never tried, yet.
Dynamic: Twice a day, when I'm diligent about it. Morning, warm up by marching on the spot, doing joint rotations, then work up into dynmaic leg swings. I find this tough to do, first thing in the morning. Then, before my TKD class.

4. Front kick involves pretty much only hamstring flexibility, and that's why it's easy to gain height here first. Like UKFF said (and he's the true expert on flexibility and conditioning) Side kick involves adductor strength, and a great degree of hipflexor involvment and body mechanics. This is the kick were I pulled my supporting leg hamstring 3 times.

Roundhouse (Turning, depending on your terminology) was, and still is to a degree, my nemisis. I had achieved high front and side kicks long before my roundhouse kicks. to this day, my left roundhouse kick suffers due to a bad injury to my right hamstring.

Although flexibility is obviously important here, I can't stress enough about proper kicking mechanics. Just by turning the supporting foot more, bending properly at the waist, you can totally change how easily, and high, a kick is delivered.

Last note: Don't push it, but work consistantly at it. I look back at the year, and despite injury, time away from training, I've made amazing gains, using very simple technics. It can be done!

Page 6 of 14 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga