FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#336196 - 02/05/04 05:44 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
Big Bear Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northern Ireland
Keep them coming Mike.

#336197 - 02/11/04 08:32 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta, Canada
So, due to shiftwork and oainting the house, I've been slacking a bit from TKD and daily stretching. Last night, at work, I had time, so I thought I better find out where I was at.

After doing a few sets of leg swings (front/back/side) I was surprised as to how far I could stretch. I thought I'd have lost some flexibility, but it must just be a mindset to think that. I'm actually equal on both legs now; that is, I don't think that my injury from Dec is hindering me anymore.

My side-split hasn't really progressed, but then again, I'm not doing anything specific for that...I'll have to admit, stretching is a very weak point for me, considering I have a decent amount of knowledge about the human body and sports-related issues.
I'm hoping the book will be more than I expect [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

#336198 - 02/12/04 01:38 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
abirc Offline

Loc: Red Deer, Alberta
I've been closely reading your posts and thought I'd shoot you a note and say Hi. I live in Red Deer Alberta which in the vast community of the Internet makes us almost next door neighbors.

I purchased the Kurz video as a Christmas present for myself. Since then I've been working on the dynamic kicks and spending significant time on strenghtening my abductors and adductor muscles on my legs. I've worked out fairly diligently at the gym for a couple of years now and have pretty decently developed legs however I never specifically worked on these muscle groups. I was suprised at how weak they were.

I too have noticed a big improvement in the heights of my kicks (I'm practice Kung Fu) as well as the depth and stability of my splits. I believe a big piece of this improvement is based on my increasingly stronger abductors and adductors. Whilst I have a long way to go (I'm 6' 5" and can comfortable achieve a split with 30" from groin to floor) I see small improvements each week.

Keep up the good work!

#336199 - 02/13/04 10:56 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Good to hear from you, Abirc. I would have also ordered the video, but I ditched my VHS for dvd a few years ago [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] I haven't started any specific strengthing for my legs yet; I find the TKD classes sometimes still leave me sore for 1 or two days after. I'd like to get back to the gym on my non-TKD days for some leg/back/core strengthing, like Kurz recommends.

#336200 - 02/19/04 02:17 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

So, good news/bad news. Good news is, I recieved my copy of Stretching Scientifically last night, finally! Looks like Amazon didn't lose my order, so I'll be getting another copy from the fightingarts.com bookstore; if any Canucks are looking for one, contact me. I flipped through it breifly last night, looks good.

Ok, the bad news. I re-pulled my left hamstring again last night at class, at the exact same spot, doing the exact same thing. Needless to say I'm very concerned, and worried. I've made exceptional gains, and have been fairly diligent as far as my stretching goes. Why now, I'm not sure, but it's frustrating. I made a physio apt today, and I had ultrasound therapy done, and we went over some additional isometric stretching I can do. Also, I'm going to start an abdominal program; I know Kurz pushes core strength big time, so this'll just help me out that much more.

High side kick, right side. Whats the deal? Twice I've pulled my left ham doing it, both times right at the end of class. There must be some type of fatigue component there, because I'm more than warmed up by then. Grrr.
Well, no use crying about it. I'm icing and taking ibuprofen, and I'll start light stretching again tomorrow. I'm in Mexico next week, so when I get back on the 4th, that's when I'll officially start my progress with Kurz. Next belt testing is on March 20th, and my instructor basically said I *have* to test---and I agree, I feel awesome about my techniques, damn hamstring aside.

[This message has been edited by MikeMartial (edited 02-19-2004).]

#336201 - 02/19/04 07:40 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
master shrek Offline
Stranger

Loc: highland mills NY
Hey mike been reading your posts and followups, sounds like your doing ok but that hammy. Hrmm.
hey i just recently bought the kurz book ,i am starting slowly theres so much to do and being a working man so little time, i guess most of you know this by now.
I recieved my 1st dan last june in TKD, and tho my forms and sparring techniques are good i really need to work on my height kicking. I'm 43 yrs old type 2 diabetic and was once way over weight. I took up TKD because the gym bores me and dneeded to take control of my life. hence i am doing real well now but to stretch takes an act of congress to get me going. the kurz book looks good, am going to give it a try.
As far as that hammy, Mike it happens wheen you use right side variation kicks?, if thats the case a quick note passed on to me by my instructor because i had the same thing. You need to bend the left knee a bit, and not fully extend it. when you exxtend you stretch that hammy beyond its capabilities. check it out next time.
new to the forum 1st post and hopefully not the last.
OH Master shrek as my nick..well i help teach the tiny tigers class, and i choose to shave my head..the look, hence the name..lol
..take care guys

#336202 - 03/07/04 12:28 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip, Shrek. In my quest for high kicks, I just may have that left leg too straight.

Well, back from Mexico, the ham has had time to heal, and I've been to a few classes and felt good. So, after a week of all-inclusive buffets and cervezas, it's time to buckle down.

I did a bit of research, and realized that dehydration may be a major culprit in my muscle pulls. I do drink a lot of coffee, and I was taking creatine up until the beginning of this month. The combo of those two, along with not enough h20, probably lead to the pulls. Especially since it was happening at the *end* of a workout, not at the beginning. So, creatine is dumped, and I'm trying to drink as much h20 as I can.

---Interesting note: this morning, I was still fairly sore from Friday night's class. I did some very low leg swings yesterday, but nothing intense. This morning, I started doing leg swings, and thought "Jeez, how the heck am I gonna be doing this every day if I'm always sore a few days later?" Well, into the second set, BAM, no soreness, and legs swings were way up there in height. Nice to know after a warmup, even with some delayed-onset muscle soreness, a person can still do dynamic stretching.

Speaking of leg swings, anyone else have trouble using their hand as a target for side-swings? I've about 12-14 inches away from my foot, at least.

[This message has been edited by MikeMartial (edited 03-07-2004).]

[This message has been edited by MikeMartial (edited 03-07-2004).]

#336203 - 03/08/04 10:35 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
abirc Offline

I know where you're coming from on the side leg swings issue... and Kurz makes it look sooooo easy! <grin>

I can't come close to my hand either. I figure it may simply be a matter of practice and time. I keep noticing slow but steady improvement so I figure the abilities will come eventually.

#336204 - 03/08/04 11:13 AM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: San Francisco
MM - if you exercise and the soreness goes, that usually indicates a nutrient deficiency - I can't remember which one, I will look it up.

abirc - as for the swings, check form esp. the positioning of your hips, incorrectly positioned you will never get much further than an inch or two above your waist!

#336205 - 03/09/04 04:23 PM Re: *My Progress With Kurz*
abirc Offline

[/QUOTE]

abirc - as for the swings, check form esp. the positioning of your hips, incorrectly positioned you will never get much further than an inch or two above your waist![/QUOTE]

I hear ya! I find my hips let me know really fast when I don't tilt them forward and try and throw a side kick. While we're on the topic ...... From looking at the Kurz video it's hard to tell the exact orientation of his legs with his body when he's doing he side leg swings. It appears like the direction his leg follows is slightly behind and to the side his body instead of only to the side? ... hope this makes sense....

[This message has been edited by abirc (edited 03-09-2004).]

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga