FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#336064 - 02/22/03 04:12 AM Re: A very scientific survey (?)
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: San Francisco
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MrVigerous:
Being able to kick to the head after youve been standing outside at a bus stop for an hour in the snow and its lots below zero would in my view indicate a good ability to "kick from cold" [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Regds
Mr V
[/QUOTE]

Does that mean I have good flexibility?

Actually I probably couldn't because the trousers I would be wearing wouldn't allow it, but in theory I could [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

#336065 - 04/16/03 10:59 AM Re: A very scientific survey (?)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am 39 and can do full front splits. I can not do box splits, but can get as wide as most people. I can put my chin on the floor from this position but not my whole chest (yet). I can do some kicks at head height from cold and all of them when warmed up.

For those of you less flexible, whilst you are improving your flexibility, remember that a strong, well executed leg or body kick is more useful anyway.
I do think being flexible is desirable for a martial artist but it is not the be all and end all.
Sharon

#336066 - 04/16/03 05:49 PM Re: A very scientific survey (?)
joesixpack Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Australia
If I could play the piano, up intil I was about fifteen, I could have played it with my feet above and behind my head.

Now slightly above average, and everything hurts.

#336067 - 04/17/03 03:36 AM Re: A very scientific survey (?)
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

wadowomen:

You are right, stretching is just a small part of the picture, I think I tend to preach about flexibility because its so EASY to get very flexible very quickly - but most MA go around it the wrong way.

In fact you can reach maximal dynamic flexibility (the stretching you need for high kicks) within 8 - 10 weeks. But, (theres always a but) you need to have good athletic form before you begin.

I think what I worry about is that people are really way to weak for their Martial Arts, especially Martial Arts where kicking is involved.

This point is highlighted by the fact that so many people can't do splits. For example the only reason why (for nearly all people) a person can't do a front split is because of weak adductors, muscles on the inside of your leg.

I also think the main thing that gets me going is everything that I preach is avilable on this site:
http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/get_articles.php?cat=Stretching

If people have come to this site, like I have, to learn then go to this link and read all the articles and then you will understand that most of what I say about stretching and kicking is from Tom Kurz. (hence why I reference him so often in my posts)

#336068 - 04/17/03 03:47 PM Re: A very scientific survey (?)
ishinnick Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Got to admit I am terrible at stretching, hopeless. I have started late in the game , I'm 46 and started Karate at 44 but even as a kid I was not flexible. The only streching I enjoy is dynamic and i have no trouble doing keage way over my head but as for static stretching , it kills me ! Also I have back problems so that probably hinders me as well.

#336069 - 04/17/03 05:02 PM Re: A very scientific survey (?)
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ishinnick:
Got to admit I am terrible at stretching, hopeless. I have started late in the game , I'm 46 and started Karate at 44 but even as a kid I was not flexible. The only streching I enjoy is dynamic and i have no trouble doing keage way over my head but as for static stretching , it kills me ! Also I have back problems so that probably hinders me as well.[/QUOTE]

No problem,

You get to those articles by Tom Kurz, or even buy his book and/or video.

Priority, get your back rehabiliated fully - this means serious strength training (advice again in Tom Kurz articles).

The jist of it is forget about stretching for now, get strong, very strong, get your back, stomach and legs very strong and stretching come easily.

Problems with stretching is basically weakness in your muscles - get them strong - problem solved.

#336070 - 06/15/03 05:22 PM Re: A very scientific survey (?)
llnohmrel Offline

I am 13, a black belt, and have been taking Issin Ryu for 7 years. I am able to do the center and left splits fully, yet oddly enough, not the right (i'm about 6 inches away).

#336071 - 06/15/03 06:14 PM Re: A very scientific survey (?)
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

[QUOTE]Originally posted by llnohmrel:
I am 13, a black belt, and have been taking Issin Ryu for 7 years. I am able to do the center and left splits fully, yet oddly enough, not the right (i'm about 6 inches away).[/QUOTE]

Splits are usually easier for people to achieve below your age, and judging by your 7 years you have probably been able to tdo them for a while.

As for your problem with right side splits may show weakness in either your hamstrings of your right leg, or the strength in the adductors in your left leg (the muscle on the inside of your leg).

If you want to improve try when you get home after your workouts doing adductor flies - this is where you lie on your back and open and close your legs to the side (If you look at your legs when they are open they should look like a large V shape from where you are lying).

If you do this for a few weeks and work your way up to around 100 reps you should see some improvement.

#336072 - 12/19/03 10:44 PM Re: A very scientific survey (?)
Bruce Lee Offline

Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA
I'm 14, I do Jeet Kune Do and I am about 6 inches from doing the front splits and about 10 inches from doing the side splits. I guess that's pretty good because I have only been stretching for flexibility for a coupple of weeks.

#336073 - 12/20/03 01:47 PM Re: A very scientific survey (?)
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Ahh, to be young again [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga