FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 61 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#336044 - 01/18/03 06:08 PM Adductor Injury
Bruce Yen Offline

Hello all,

Several months ago during training I injured my groin. I was working on my flexibility by increasing my legs range of motion- mainly static stretches.

To make a long story short, I recently consulted with a sports trainer and was informed that there was a possibility of my injury being that of an adductor tear (the adductor is the muscle on the inner thigh). After much research, I feel that the injury may actually consist of a Grade II strain of the adductor muscle.

I have discontinued all leg training and have begun applying the P.R.I.C.E. (Prevention, Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation). However, even after weeks of rest, this injury although not as significant, is still present and disallows for intense training. I fear this may be a permanent debilatating injury.

My question is Has anyone ever injured a similar muscle? If so, what forms of rehabilitation have you followed? What type of doctor did you consult? Is there any advice you can give me on this matter?
Thankyou very much.

#336045 - 01/28/03 03:44 PM Re: Adductor Injury
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: San Francisco
I have never had this type of injury but I have suggest you see an applied kinesiologist, they should give you advice on how to strenghten your legs, usually starting with back (dead lifts etc) and stomach exercises (crunches, situps) and then move on to general exercises for your legs (such as squats) before specific adductor strenghtening, although I'm no doctor rest can't cure weakness in muscles. try looking at http://www.stadion.com for some advice on strenthening.

#336046 - 01/28/03 05:52 PM Re: Adductor Injury
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: San Francisco
http://www.stadion.com/free/nltr0395.pdf

if you use this link it will take you straight to an article specifically dealing with how to deal with injuries.

#336047 - 02/04/03 09:13 PM Re: Adductor Injury
Bruce Yen Offline

I thankyou for both of the replies.

This injury was brought about by too much isometric stretching (which is specifically what Stadion advises against!). So upon further investigation, I believe this is actually a tendon injury not the muscle.

Does anyone here have any advice for tendon healing aside from a doctor visit (Joint fuel, home remedies, PRICE...etc.)

Thankyou all very much.

#336048 - 02/05/03 05:38 PM Re: Adductor Injury
MrVigerous Offline
Former Administrator

Loc: UK
If it is a tendon injury then the only thing to do is to drasticaly reduce the load on the tendon (ie: rest)and possibly seek a prescription for drugs designed for this specific injury (injection) or seek surgery to repair the damage. In all honestly though its probably just an adductor strain. Injuries to the groin take a notoriously long time to recover from, and are prone to re-injury especialy if you refuse to pack the training in completely until it is better.
My advice is to pack in all specific leg training (stretching /kicks etc) and all general dynamic movement (running/boxing etc)
and continue relevant elements of R.I.C.E until it heals up.

Regds
Mr V

#336049 - 02/09/03 01:29 PM Re: Adductor Injury
mikelw Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bothell, Washington (not DC), ...
YES! I have injured this muscle doing WAY too many high roundhouse kicks during a class. After applying ice, heat, and reducing my training intensity it was back to normal in about three months. (hurts like crap at first doesn't it!)

#336050 - 02/10/03 01:53 AM Re: Adductor Injury
SaNo Offline

Loc: Singapore
My advise is that there is no advise, sorry for being harsh but i believe i had the same injury on both my legs, one by a back hook another on a high back thrust, which severely cripples my flexiblilty. Fortunately, it just takes time, relax, its not permanent, just quite some time. For my case, it took about a year, but after that my flexibility was recovered.

#336051 - 02/23/03 05:25 PM Re: Adductor Injury
Bruce Yen Offline

Hello,

I would like to thank everyone for the replies. Your comments regarding my injury has made a great difference in my method of recooperation. It is healing nicely, although very slowly, as I plan to be fully kicking-active within a few months.

I realized that pills, such as a Joint Fuel- consisting of Glucosamine Sulfate, Chondroitin Sulfate, etc., does little in actually healing my injury. The only useful and healthy solution is really just resting and proper nutrition intake, consisting of a great deal of protein.

If anyone has any question, concerns, or are experiencing a similar injury, please feel free to ask me anything- the best person to ask advice from is someone who has gone through the same experience (and used all the wrong methods until finally finding the correct solution :P ).

Again, I thankyou all very much.

#336052 - 10/17/04 03:07 PM Re: Adductor Injury
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello, I play basketball and I found this topic on a google search, I would really appreciate any advice on getting over my injury.

First of all I want to make sure this is the same injury, I think it is a Grade 2 groin strain. I got it when I was doing sprints. It is high on my abductor muscle and it feels okay to play on after a week or so but after strenuous activity it feels sore for the next two-three days.

What can I do to heal it. I've been putting a heat pack on it every night, am I supposed to be using ice? What else can I do? How long will it take? I was doing plyometrics(jump training) did this lead to my injury?

#336053 - 10/27/04 11:24 AM Re: Adductor Injury
Anonymous
Unregistered

In reference to the basketball injury if it is an aBductor injury it is different from and aDductor injury, however the course of treatment is the same. AB ductors deal with the muscle groups which move the limb away from the body, and AD ductors deal with the muscle groups which bring the limb toward the body. As with any acute muscle strain the key is rest, ice, compression, and elevation with possible non-steroidal anti-inflammatories. Heat should only be applied to a chronic injury, meaning one of a duration longer than 6 weeks in this case. If you are adding heat to an acute injury you are only adding to the inflammation. It is hard to say the exact mechanism of action in this injury but the best advice is what was listed above.

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga