FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 50 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Marcus Charles 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#335737 - 04/22/07 10:17 AM Re: Knife defence [Re: ShikataGaNai]
Glockmeister Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Pa
Quote:

Maybe the best defense against a knife is to assume that everyone has one, thus avoiding altercations and violence.

Good video. Thanks.

I agree wholeheartedly. In Krav, Haganah and JKD we alwasy usualkly assume our attacker will be armed with a weapon.,
As to the link provided, that scenereo actually happened to a brother officer I work with as well who thought the guy may have dies and the inmate turned on him and tried to stab him.

#335738 - 04/26/07 09:36 AM Re: Knife defence [Re: Glockmeister]
kicksomearse Offline

At jujuitsu, we are taught self defence against knives. It has been very beneficial, and while on the mat, you can learn from mistakes, on the street, there is no room for error.

Anyone who comes at me with a knife, well, it will be the last mistake they make.

#335739 - 04/26/07 10:09 AM Re: Knife defence [Re: Shorinjiryumike]
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
Never new our bodies went into shock that quick after a good slice hits you. Wow, the time period is not very long to get out of a situation...3-5 seconds and your body starts to shut down & go into shock...now that's scary! I'm glad you posted this, it just goes to show how dangerous a blade can be:(

#335740 - 04/26/07 10:23 AM Re: Knife defence [Re: kicksomearse]
RazorFoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Seated at the computer, DUH
Quote:

Anyone who comes at me with a knife, well, it will be the last mistake they make.

A word of caution. No matter how good your defence is, you will get cut. You may get to choose where, but you will get cut so you may, if possible, still wish to avoid a knife weilding assailant at all costs. If you have no choice, I hope your training helps you to survive and escape but do not going in thinking you will come out of the confrontation without a scratch. I have been training knife defences for years and I still know the best defence is avoidance of a situation that has me fighting a knife weilding attacker.

Scottie

#335741 - 04/26/07 04:51 PM Re: Knife defence [Re: RazorFoot]
Shorinjiryumike Offline

Well said Scottie!

#335742 - 04/26/07 04:57 PM Re: Knife defence [Re: Chen Zen]
Shorinjiryumike Offline

Chen Zen I just have to ask you this. How do you define someone as a "real knife fighter" and how would one have acted ? You mention they would have held the blade differently and that a knife fighters delivery would be different. Could you elaborate on this please.

#335743 - 04/27/07 04:06 AM Re: Knife defence [Re: Shorinjiryumike]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Well theres several things. First of all, a skilled knife fighter isnt going to allow you to see the blade until after its made contact with your body. You may catch a glimpse of it just before it gets you. He isnt going to present it 6,10, or 18 feet away such as in the scenario.

Also, an attacker so bold as to pull a weapon with the intent to kill you is going to do so in a very savage manner. Once he is close enough to cut you he is going to stab and slash wildly. Thats not to say there isnt certain technique about it.

He is going to aim for areas that will drain quickly and kill you quietly. He isnt going to slash your abdomen and gut you leaving you screaming. More likely he would Puncture a lung, diaphram or the heart, or poisinous organs such as the liver, appendix or kidneys.

He wants to kill you quickly, possibly rob you as well, and get away without getting seen.

#335744 - 04/28/07 01:35 PM Re: Knife defence [Re: Chen Zen]
KJ63 Offline

Loc: Midwestern U.S.
Here are 6 videos that give you a good idea what a real knife attack is like. The 6th one takes a while to load but it is worth it.

http://www.personalprotectionsystems.ca/multimedia.htm

#335745 - 04/29/07 09:32 AM Re: Knife defence [Re: Chen Zen]
Glockmeister Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Pa
Chen, you make some valid points. However I think most "Knife defense" techniques are geared more towards the attacker who is coming at you in a rage either overcommitting to a thrusting or an "ice pick" attack or something of that nature. they also deal a lot more with knife threats i.e. holding a knife at your throat and demanding your wallet, that you come with them, etc. Dealing with a skilled knife fighter, I would either want to run away or at minimum, deploy my own weapon if at all possible. I don't think the act of keeping a weapon hidden untill a bad guy is ready to kill you with it takes a "skilled knife fighter" it just takes soemone who is sneaky and understands the power of surprise attack. that is why situational awareness is so important.

#335746 - 04/29/07 01:07 PM Re: Knife defence [Re: RazorFoot]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Scottie, just wanted to add a little to yours.

Where I'm from, it's not even possible to choose whether or not you face a knife. Sometimes you just get stabbed before you even know it.

All that training in the dojo helps, but unless you're put into a situation where you pretty much know how and when the knife strike arrives, you're pretty much toast. Better start using nike-fu.

-Taison out

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga