FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
ergees 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#335004 - 11/30/06 04:48 PM Advertising your school
bo-ken Offline
Veteran

Loc: beaver falls, PA, beaver
This is my first post in the business section but not the last. I am opening a school and I will have many questions in the months to come.

How do you advertise your school? I am a graphic designer so I am working on advertisments right now but I kind of have designers block. So what are some other good ways to market your school other then flyers? I also don't want to make my school sound stupid with the flyer saying thinks that I don't teach. These days martial arts ads say COMBAT READY and many more. I just want to keep it simple. Any advice would be nice.

#335005 - 11/30/06 06:07 PM Re: Advertising your school [Re: bo-ken]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Not sure what to tell you specifically. My wife did advertising in college, but I didn't.

For a start, you may want to look up some of the more well known *GASP* McDojo's, and check how they advertise. I know, I know......but business is business, LOL.

Try checking here, too:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=0#Post15850076

#335006 - 12/01/06 12:50 AM Re: Advertising your school [Re: MattJ]
bo-ken Offline
Veteran

Loc: beaver falls, PA, beaver
Sweet thanks Matt. Those McGuy's really do know how to market they all have tons of students. I think the more students I have the better chance I have of finding students willing to work hard.

#335007 - 12/03/06 02:18 AM Re: Advertising your school [Re: bo-ken]
ddoa01 Offline

Loc: WA State
lol. The sad thing is those mcdojo instructors don't teach there students how to have a chance at surviving if they are attacked. Plus it's all about the money.

Trick is to get the students who want to learn self defense and not just go for the black belt. Easier said then done though.

#335008 - 12/03/06 06:32 AM Re: Advertising your school [Re: bo-ken]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

try something new in advertising: give an accurate representation of the truth.

#335009 - 12/03/06 09:10 AM Re: Advertising your school [Re: Ed_Morris]
clmibb Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Texas, US
I train at a community center and we don't do any kind of commercial advertising. We have a sign in front on the fence and a flyer at the front door. Also when we are enrolling new students we ask the community center to put up a sign on their billboard. We have around 50 students give or take and about 7 instructors. We really rely on word of mouth as our adverising. We don't do contracts (my instructor sees it as if we keep the quality up then there is no reason to have a contract, they will come back month after month because they enjoy it not because they are tied to a contract) also with contracts I don't find them fair to kids. They get interested in other things throughout the year (soccer, football, baseball) and tying them to a contract might shy some kids away because their parents might not allow them to be in more than 1 or 2 activities at a time. Just a thought. Some people like the contracts some don't. I personally see it as a way for the school to guarantee their money and if you instruct well, you shouldn't have to have things like contracts. Just my personal opinion.

Casey

#335010 - 12/13/06 05:13 AM Re: Advertising your school [Re: bo-ken]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Kent, U.K.
Once you have finished your flyer please post it for us to give you some feedback on it. Thats what works best getting feedback on something so you can adjust it to suite everyone. Where do you plan on posting these flyers.
May I also ask have you got many students interested already? If so why not get their feedback and get them to help out with word of mouth.

#335011 - 12/19/06 09:42 AM Re: Advertising your school [Re: Tezza]
Ives Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: the Netherlands
Where do you guys advertise?

I dropped some flyers at university.

What are good locations to spread flyers?
We've hung up some posters before, but they got removed every now and then.

#335012 - 12/27/06 06:02 AM Re: Advertising your school [Re: Ives]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Kent, U.K.
Well what ages are you looking at? As if you were offering a kids class maybe at a playschool or something where the parents could see it and think its something new to keep the child fit and healthy or maybe like an anti-bullying campaign so parents feel that they should help their child 'beat the bully'.
I remember my old school designed a booklet which was called 5 secrets to raising better behaved children. They then handed out the first section of this and with a telephone number in which parents could call if they wanted the whole booklet sent to them and were then offered a free trial lesson for their children. A very Mcdojo way to look at it but like what was mentioned its a business afterall.
I hope this makes sense lol.

#335013 - 01/02/07 09:35 AM Re: Advertising your school [Re: Tezza]
Ives Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: the Netherlands
We at our school aim at an age of 15 and above.
We don't have sport attitude.

I think most adolecents at that age already have chosen a sport or activity to pursuit. Which could make it a little complicated.

#335014 - 01/03/07 02:16 PM Re: Advertising your school [Re: bo-ken]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

This is my most recent flyer promoting my class at my company's Fitness Center.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

#335015 - 01/03/07 03:01 PM Re: Advertising your school [Re: bo-ken]
olga Offline
TKOlga
TKOlga

Loc: northern virginia
Bo-ken,

I am a graphic designer/marketing person (in real life) as well, and my school is also looking for creative and effective ways to advertize.

I would suggest building a website. Something good-looking and comprehensive, which will answer any question a newbie—or anyone—might have. This will validate your school to someone looking for lessons. Optimize it for search engines, put it up on as many local and national MA Shool listings as you can find (a lot of them are free).

We actually got quite a few students in class solely due to the website. One person followed it until our school moved to a location more convinient for him—then he joined the class. If you'd like to check out our site, it's linked through my signature below this post.

You can also run ads in local community papers, free papers in your area which are read by the demographic that might be interested in MA—the ads I bet are pretty cheap in them. Don't run just one—run several over a few months (if you can afford it) and keep the look almost the same.

#335016 - 08/20/07 02:47 PM Re: Advertising your school [Re: Ives]
ironsifu Offline

Loc: sacramento, CA
i first open my business in washington DC, where theres lots of good martial arts schools. now i'm in california, which this is "mcdojo land", i learned a very important lesson, that we have to work harder to learn the business of the martial arts. i always been lazy about business because i made money easy back east. but here in california, i use to rely on, can your sensei do this. its sucks becauses its like tap dancing for students, but it worked. i do it sometimes now. but i also learned that you can hire people to talk for you (i use to do that, now i do my own sales pith) or pay somebody to make the adverstisement. which is expensive but it brings me more people than i could do it on my own.

also, be careful you dont insult a good teacher just because he has a nice school. i met some teachers who love the art, like we do, but they have more many to buy a nice shopping center than us, so naturally they get more students. my place is in "the hood", i have gang graffiti on my outisde wall, [censored] i even have old bangers who train with me, but we can all make a living we just have to make sure more people know where we are. you cant talk too tough because they afraid to study with you, but you cant be too soft or they dont respect you. its hard i know, but the best way is learning and falling, so you learn better the next time around.

my best advertising is:
* reputation - when your a better fighters, people know it and they want to study with you. especially when you are the only one of a certain style in your city
* website - it always brings me people, expensive to build it, but after that it only cost money to pay a fee once a year ($80) and each time we make changes
* yallow pages - this is expensive all the time, but it makes the phone ring all the time too.
* flyers - they work but you have to do so much to reach a few people. i do this every week.
* tournaments - if your good in fighting, do it. i recruited many people because i fight. theres not many teachers out there who know how to fight, and the decision to study is fast, when they seen what you can do.

good luck okay

#335017 - 08/20/07 02:49 PM Re: Advertising your school [Re: ironsifu]
ironsifu Offline

oldman thats a good looking flyer. did you make it?

#335018 - 08/20/07 06:03 PM Re: Advertising your school [Re: ironsifu]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
DEFINITELY have to have a website. People are checking the internet as much as the phone directories anymore. Perhaps even more so these days.

Link your site to a lot of other sites which have martial arts school directories such as: http://www.challengermartialarts.com

That will help spread the word about what you do.

-John

#335019 - 08/20/07 08:23 PM Re: Advertising your school [Re: JKogas]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
I'm thinking of using this to advertise my potential school:

PS - This is post 10500 for me.

Edited by MattJ (08/20/07 08:24 PM)

#335020 - 08/21/07 03:41 AM Re: Advertising your school [Re: JKogas]
NewJitsu Offline

Loc: Midlands, UK
Yes, online should play at least a part in most advertising strategies these days. A website that looks good AND IS SEARCH OPTIMIZED will give tremendous value for money plus it's something you can direct to when they ask for more info on you.

I live in a relatively town in the UK (pop. 60,000) and there are consistently over 600 searches a month on the internet for martial arts schools in the area. I've been in advertising for almost 15yrs now and the internet is superbly cost-effective, as long as your website looks good and again can be found by the search engines.

#335021 - 08/21/07 05:18 PM Re: Advertising your school [Re: NewJitsu]
ironsifu Offline

Quote:

Yes, online should play at least a part in most advertising strategies these days. A website that looks good AND IS SEARCH OPTIMIZED will give tremendous value for money plus it's something you can direct to when they ask for more info on you.

I live in a relatively town in the UK (pop. 60,000) and there are consistently over 600 searches a month on the internet for martial arts schools in the area. I've been in advertising for almost 15yrs now and the internet is superbly cost-effective, as long as your website looks good and again can be found by the search engines.

i want to suggest have a form on your site too. its a thing, where, they put in their name, phone number, email, address and if he's looking for a school or just browing. we had ours not even one month, i got 3 in like two weeks to sign up. plus now, we have the informations i can send them letter and a "report", my brother is making it now. basically is just a advertisements, but it teaches them something. the one hes doing is called "optimize your workout with body weight exercise". its for anybody, but it talks about how we train in our school. so its a story, or ad, but its really gets interest. were going to have more later like, history, or why is important to learn how to fight, etc. the form from the website gives us informations i would never had it before because they'll look at the sites, and go, nice, and move on. when they do the form, we find out who there are.

#335022 - 08/21/07 05:19 PM Re: Advertising your school [Re: ironsifu]
ironsifu Offline

who THEY are. excuse me, i spell like a 10 years old kid!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga