FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
trevek 6
cxt 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
45 minutes 42 seconds ago
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432449 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#334657 - 05/26/05 04:30 PM Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual
davera Offline

Hi,
Has anyone read this book, written by Michael Massie? I was thinking about purchasing it, but I'd like to hear your comments on the book.

#334658 - 05/27/05 04:06 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: davera]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Loc: POM, Monterey CA
Sounds like the business plan of a mcdojo. Not to bash on a book that I haven't read, but be a little leary if your concerned about the integrity of the art you teach.

#334659 - 07/09/05 10:20 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
FightSchool Offline

Loc: Windsor England
Havent read it but I would have to agree with Bushi no ki on this one. It may give you are fee ideas on structuring a club though.

#334660 - 07/10/05 09:46 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: FightSchool]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Massachusetts
structuring a club to make excess $$$ as oppossed to transmitting the Art while keeping the bills paid.

#334661 - 07/12/05 04:35 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: davera]
Mike_Massie Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Hi Davera,

In response to the assertions that my business manual is a business plan for running a McDojo, it's the furthest thing from it. The whole reason why I wrote the books was because I had been through years of seeing industry "experts" teaching unethical business practices to novice school owners, and I got sick of it. So, I wrote a book geared specifically to showing the small studio owner that you can make a decent living teaching real martial arts without having to be a sell-out.

If you want to buy the book, send me an email to smalldoj@small-dojo-big-profits.com and I'll tell you how to get it, and if you don't like it I'll give you a full refund.

However, everyone who has read it has had nothing but good things to say about it, so I think you'll find it to be of use.

Best regards and no hard feelings on the "McDojo" cracks,

Mike Massie
author, "Small Dojo, Big Profits"

#334662 - 07/12/05 07:09 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: Mike_Massie]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

You know what, now I WILL read it.
When I think 'profit from running a dojo', my first image isn't a skilled MA teacher...matter of fact, my image is mutualy exclusive and diametrically oppossed.
At the very least, the title of the book needs work...but that would be judging a book by it's cover, right?

p.s.
congrats on your success.

#334663 - 07/13/05 11:57 AM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: Kintama]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

update: this isn't available at the library, nor is it available on Amazon. It is however available on ebay for a 'buy now' price of $97 (or $20 less for the electronic version from the main book site).

The cover:
http://i14.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/07/e9/ac_1_b.JPG

This book is advertised in all the same databanks as buying Russian wives, how to lose 100 lbs in 5 minutes, etc

guilty by association? I'm not saying that. looks like if we want to find out how to get rich off of soccer-moms, we need to drop a $100.

here's one of the claims:
"How you can make $297,000+ per year with less than 250 students."
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...bayphotohosting
"216 text-filled pages"

or about 50 cents per page.

#334664 - 07/13/05 12:07 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: Kintama]
MN JC Offline

Loc: Coon Rapids, MN USA
$297,000 on 250 students is $1,188 per year, per student or $99 a month per student. This would be gross income and does not take into account for any expenses. This could be an ok amount but, 250 students (regulars) seems a bit high to me for a small dojo.

Any Thoughts!

#334665 - 07/13/05 12:23 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: Kintama]
BuDoc Offline
The doctor will see you now

Loc: USA and Abroad
I ordered it. I couldn't resist. Don't like the title, but whatever.

Kinda impressed that the author took the time to stop by and clarify some things.

When I get it I'll read it and let you know. Anyone who wants to borrow it afterward, can let me know.

Page

#334666 - 07/13/05 01:12 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: BuDoc]
MN JC Offline

Looking forward to your review Page!

#334667 - 07/13/05 01:26 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: BuDoc]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

I'll go in half with you Budoc to minimize your (potential) loss.

I'm for giving the benefit of the doubt.
note:
Being sceptical is not disrespectful. How someone voices scepticism can sound disrespectful...my appologies if I sounded that way.

#334668 - 07/13/05 04:56 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: BuDoc]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Kudos to Page for putting his Mastercard where his mouth is and doing some research for us poor slobs.

Definitely let us know what your take on it is, Page.

#334669 - 08/01/05 11:36 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: MattJ]
martialway Offline

Loc: nj
so do you guys have a review of it now?

#334670 - 08/04/05 09:54 AM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: martialway]
BuDoc Offline

No!

It has not even been delivered yet. This is not a good start to impressing me

Kintama and I are discussing the matter privately. I'll let you know what shakes out!

Page

#334671 - 08/04/05 12:30 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: MN JC]
MAGr Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, home: Athens
250 students!!!

If you have 250 students do you really need a book to tell you how to make money???

Any moron can make money from 250 students without sacrificing costs. Its called economies of scale. The average cost incurred per student gets less as the number of students increase. Why? Because fixed costs such as rent get spread over a large number of students. So when you had 40 students charging them 100 each you payed 50 into costs so 50 remained for you. The costs change by very little with every new student but the money you get is still 100. Eventually you will get 100 from each student but only pay 20 for each student, leaving you with 80. If you do some correct cost planning with expanion (more instructors more salaries etc etc) you can also afford to start advertising more heavily.
Its not a secret formula for gods sake.
All that is required is someone with the right knowledge about cost and profits, you dont even need the right knowledge just some experience, and a business model that you intend to follow.
The most important thing is getting the venue (dojo), after that its all down to quality teaching and word of mouth and advertising. Not some crappy business formula. I bet you anything, I can tell you all the stuff the book says, but just dressed with less fancy crap. You have to remember the guy who wrote the book didnt write it to help all the poor dojo owners, he wrote it to make money!
So, yes there are strategies that you can pursue without sacrificing quality, but they should be quite obvious. All that is required is to sit down withsomeone who has a head for maths and calculate osts and expenditures.

For example.
Dude X has 20 students each paying 100 per month.
(in reality you have to include sales of gi's and camps and whatever else you do)
That means revenue of 2,000 a month
say rent and electricity is fixed at 1,000 a month.
That means that you are making yourself 1,000 a month.
Which is not that much to live with.

From salary that you take out a loan for 10,000
5,000 is spent on advertising and 5,000 on paying the salary of a new instructor for the next 5 months.

Say that through the advertising you get an influx of another 20 students immediately on the first day of the new month (highly unrealistic but good enough for our purpose)
From those 20 students you get the fee of the 100 and therefore make 2,000 on what you made before. But you dont have any extra costs. so you get 3,000 a month now.
1,000 for you, 1,000 for the extra instructor and 1,000 to go towards paying back the loan.
You still have the 5,000 left because you got the influx of the students through the advertising and therefore payed the new instroctur through that. So with that 5,000 you can split it into two, 2,500 goes to a new add campaign, not with some better targeting, and 2,500 goes towardsarranging some more classes for the future, some extra equipment to deal with the student influx etc.

You see from the EXTREMELY simplified model above that it really isnt that hard to do it yourself if you re4ally wanted to. In more cases though people want to teach to transmit the art not to get loads of money therefore people feel the need to educate sifu wiht small basement dojos. When in fact they themeselves dont care about the money, and the sifus who do care about the money dont need to buy the book to be successfull at what they do.

Basically, all those books are a poor excuse for not attending a simple accountancy course. There are so many variables that a book could not possibly cover all that is there. What if you have a venue, what if you want to buy one, what if you are renting and want to buy one, what if you ahve nothing, what if you have summer camps twice a year, what if you want to keep the ration of instructors to students high, what if equipment involves shipping stuff from china or japan. What if this and that. Those books that claim to provide formulas are crap, WHY? BECAUSE THEY DONT KNOW THE VARIABLES, SO HOW CAN THEY KNOW THE FORMULA???

Edited by MAGr (08/04/05 12:58 PM)

#334672 - 08/10/05 10:32 AM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: MAGr]
BuDoc Offline

Still have not received my copy of "Dumb Book, Fast Buck!"

I ordered it a month ago!

Page

#334673 - 08/10/05 03:12 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: BuDoc]
MN JC Offline

For some strange reason I am not suprised. I noticed that Mike Massie has not posted in a long time also. Maybe he is trying to beef the book up for you?

I hope that he tells the readers of his book to provide better service than this.

Again, Page, thank you for being the one who stuck your neck out and ordered this.

#334674 - 08/11/05 11:59 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: MN JC]
martialway Offline

Loc: nj
if i had 250 students i wouldn't have time for ebay either.... then again if i had 250 students i wouldnt need to hawk my entire business strategy on ebay either.

#334675 - 08/15/05 04:08 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: Mike_Massie]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

I went ahead and filed a complaint with the BBB and e-bay.
BuDoc, if you bought this thru e-bay, you have some protection against crooks and might be able to get some/all money back. I'll PM you the info if there is no response from him in 1 week.

Quote:

Hi Davera,

In response to the assertions that my business manual is a business plan for running a McDojo, it's the furthest thing from it.

Apparently so, since this book seems to indiscriminately huxtor non-mcdojo's as well.
Quote:

The whole reason why I wrote the books was because I had been through years of seeing industry "experts" teaching unethical business practices to novice school owners, and I got sick of it. So, I wrote a book geared specifically to showing the small studio owner that you can make a decent living teaching real martial arts without having to be a sell-out.

right. and the way to do that is to sell invisible books on e-bay.

Quote:

If you want to buy the book, send me an email to smalldoj@small-dojo-big-profits.com and I'll tell you how to get it, and if you don't like it I'll give you a full refund.

uh-huh. pull the other one.

Quote:

However, everyone who has read it has had nothing but good things to say about it, so I think you'll find it to be of use.

I bet. since no one has read it.

Quote:

Best regards and no hard feelings on the "McDojo" cracks,

none taken. to attribute your book with mcdojo's would be a disservice to mcdojo's. at least they provide a false service, whereas you provide no service at all.

Quote:

Mike Massie
author, "Small Dojo, Big Profits"

I notice your name is an anagram for 'I Make Messi'...and the book title a euphamism for 'Small Net, Big Fish'.

Are you going to be a spineless jellyfish, or will you give the man his money back?

#334676 - 08/15/05 10:53 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: Kintama]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Quote:

I notice your name is an anagram for 'I Make Messi'

Kintama, I see that your absence has not degraded your sense of humor, this one still has me giggling. Welcome back old chum.

Oh yeah, and give Page his money back!!

#334677 - 08/16/05 06:20 AM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: JoelM]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Perhaps you should have gone for the electronic download option thru CickBank?

When I enquired, Mr Massie emailed me and said that they are a small outfit and thus the only distributors for the book. If you've gone down the self-publishing route, you'll appreciate the difficulties and expense of doing small print runs. I got the feeling that his preference was for me to download the electronic version.

I would email Mike personally and enquire about the purchase - i.e. if you purchased it from him directly. See if you can swap it for the electronic version and get a refund on the hardcopy.

PM me for email details, or see if you can find it on his website.

#334678 - 08/16/05 07:51 AM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: eyrie]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Silly question: did Doc move and/or leave a forwarding address? I don't think a month is that long to wait for a small outfit. I have had some darn long waits for certain items (I once ordered a set of teacups from Scotland...and it took a year due to low production).

Practice breathing...

Edited by harlan (08/16/05 07:51 AM)

#334679 - 08/16/05 08:44 AM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: harlan]
BuDoc Offline

Gee, why didn't I think to leave a forwarding address The guy that purchased my old house probably has received it and has opened his own dojo and has made a fortune!

I have been receiving mail (all forwarded) in a timely manner.

I have mostly been playing the wait game. What Eyrie says about independent publishers is true.

As Kintama and I have discussed in the past, this was more of an experiment than anything else. If the book arrives and is useful, great! If it arrives and is useless, we all get to say "I told you so" and the expense for us was minimal. If it doesn't arrive at all, well, we know whom we are dealing with.

Am I a little P!$$ed? Yeah. But I'll give him a few more weeks because of small companies and production runs.

Thanks Harlan. I'll remember to practice breathing

Page

#334680 - 08/16/05 02:57 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: BuDoc]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

{inhale 1.2.3.} - {exhale 1.2.3.} hey...I'm starting to get the hang of this breathing stuff! it really works! as a result, I'm not seeing stars and am no longer inconveinenced by momentary blackouts while walking. Harlan...get to work on an e-book straight away - title: ?
"Cold air in...Hot air out" ?

thoughts? comments? suggestions? appearences of caring?

#334681 - 08/16/05 03:18 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: Kintama]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

I don't understand a single sentence that you wrote.

Quote:

{inhale 1.2.3.} - {exhale 1.2.3.} hey...I'm starting to get the hang of this breathing stuff! it really works! as a result, I'm not seeing stars and am no longer inconveinenced by momentary blackouts while walking. Harlan...get to work on an e-book straight away - title: ?
"Cold air in...Hot air out" ?

thoughts? comments? suggestions? appearences of caring?

#334682 - 08/16/05 03:24 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: harlan]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

oh sorry. let me rephase: If one were to author an e-book on breathing...would they just be selling hot-air?

#334683 - 08/16/05 03:28 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: Kintama]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Well...I will elect not to read too deeply into your posts.

Gratuitious smiley attached.

#334684 - 08/16/05 03:38 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: harlan]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

I try to be more serious.

on topic: {sound of crickets}

#334685 - 08/17/05 12:34 AM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: Kintama]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

To start with, I can't afford it. I got royally reamed for spending $20 on a cheapo sword the last time I bought from ebay. Also, I'm not impressed with the ebay page. Nor am I impressed with all the "reviews". I would advise any instructor who is thinking of buying this book to consider whether they could actually throw $107 away first. They could just as well be better off going to the nearest community/junior college, and spending the money on a bookkeeping/business administration course.

#334686 - 08/17/05 02:29 AM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

In my opinion, e-bay isn't the problem...I buy and sell stuff on there all the time, never had a problem except one package from England getting lost by my local mail.
I look at e-bay as a world community flea market. it's great.... however I've spent a fortune on bargans

#334687 - 08/19/05 04:54 AM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: Kintama]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
Kin,
Don't be discouraged,some of us sick people get your sense of humor entirely.

Give Page his money back you scum!

I hate ripoffs!

#334688 - 09/20/05 10:55 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: BuDoc]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Well, it's been over 2 months since you ordered it...anything yet?

#334689 - 09/21/05 05:30 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: JoelM]
BuDoc Offline

@$%#$%^#^$%^$%^$&^*%^&$%^@%@^*&(*()%^&$^#%#$%$^%^#$%@#%$^%$&$%^&^&*&*@#$@#%%$&%^*&*()&*(^&*%&$%^#$%@#$!@#$#$^^*(()*()*&($%^&^#%@$@#%$#$^$%&$^&%*^&*^&(&*(

NO

Page

#334690 - 09/22/05 01:34 AM Breaking News [Re: BuDoc]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Breaking News:
This just in, Fightingarts.com member BuDoc's keyboard was tragically put to rest today. After mysteriously having it's numbers 1 thru 10 and the right and left shift keys smashed into oblivion, it was in critical condition. The cause is not known, but little could be done to save the hardware.
It was mercifully taken out back and clubbed like a baby seal, it's shattered pieces will be spread over Silicon Valley later this week.

In not-so-related news, postage to Florida has been slow and sketchy in some areas recently, authorities can only attribute it to karma of local residents' past lives.

#334691 - 10/01/05 03:46 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: BuDoc]
Mike_Massie Offline

Hey guys - Mike Massie here. This guy BuDoc never ordered from me, through eBay or otherwise. Go search mdmarketing on eBay and you'll see that my feedback score is almost perfect.

BuDoc and Kintama, either you ordered my book from someone who was impersonating me on eBay, or you are telling tall tales. But, I'll give you the benefit of a doubt. Send a private message to me on this forum with the auction number that you purchased my book on, the date of the auction purchase, and your mailing address and I'll send you a free copy.

Regards,

Mike Massie

#334692 - 10/01/05 10:36 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: Mike_Massie]
BuDoc Offline

Yes. I will contact you privately.

Kintama was merely offering support. I am the party in question. You may refrain from questioning or casting aspersions towards his ability to tell the truth from this point on!

I am sure that we can settle this manner from this point forward.

Regards,

Christian Page M.D.

#334693 - 10/01/05 10:56 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: BuDoc]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

lol Doc...I'm honered.
I searched on ebay (US)...couldn't find the book or Mr. Massie. Mike, I'm getting old since the beginning of the thread and my cyber-skills aren't what they used to be, could you provide a link to the auction...thanks.

p.s.s.t. could you make sure Doctor Page receives a signed copy...I'm sure he'd like that.

#334694 - 10/02/05 08:24 AM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: Kintama]
Mike_Massie Offline

Surely if you had purchased my manual from eBay's site and then filed a complaint with them you have some record of that transaction...

I'll wait for a reply from BuDoc, since he was the person who initially claimed he ordered the manual.

#334695 - 10/02/05 08:26 AM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: BuDoc]
Mike_Massie Offline

Please, send me your reply so we can clear up this up.

#334696 - 10/03/05 10:46 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: BuDoc]
Mike_Massie Offline

BuDoc and Kintama,

I'm still waiting to receive the details of the purchase of my book you claim to have made on eBay.

Honestly, I cannot understand why you appear to be taken aback at my suggestion that you and Kintama were perhaps making the whole story up, since you seemed quite ready to "cast aspersions" on my personal integrity with your earlier posts (an ad hominem argument against the quality of my manual, I might add - not something I would expect from a supposedly educated person like yourself, "Dr." Page...)

But, then again, that's the thing with online forums - you can claim to be anyone and say virtually anything you like... and the truth be damned for some, apparently.

Now, enough of this tremendous waste of my time. I have actual clients and subscribers that I've been taking time away from in order to deal with the rantings of a couple of prepubescent prehominids such as the two of you.

Good day.

#334697 - 10/03/05 11:04 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: Mike_Massie]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

You do yourself a disservice by being so quick to reply. Budoc is not online often (due to his unique profession)...and as previous posts indicated...further communication was to be with Budoc directly.

#334698 - 10/04/05 09:47 AM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: Mike_Massie]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Gentlemen,
If you care to work the matter out please do so in private.

#334699 - 08/10/07 10:02 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: harlan]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Hey, I forgot about this thread. for the record, Budoc did indeed eventually receive this book and was nice enough to arrainge for me to read it. The secret to having a small dojo (which, if I remember right, is defined as 50-100 students), yet have large profits?...***charge as much as you can get away with per student and do paid seminars***

brilliant. a profound masterpeice which causes one to reread and rethink the structures within 'The Weath of Nations'.

actually, it wasn't that bad of a read and had some decent humor. but the whole time you are reading it, you get the sense you are being talked to by a likeable used car salesman who adds in interesting ancedotal stories while he's not really providing you any special deals.

Not that I'm qualified, however, I give it a '7' for presentation and a '2' for content....then again, I'm the type that would talk to someone with good stories trying to sell me something for hours, and then never buy anything.

but what do I know, I've never run a 'small' dojo, nor have I ever made 'big' profits. most I know do those two things as separate professions.

#334700 - 08/11/07 04:49 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: Ed_Morris]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Seminars as an integral aspect of gleaning profit? Who would have thought? Reminds me of the current problem in Massachusetts schools. The kids HAVE to pass these state exams, called MCAS. I've discovered that most of the curriculum, and time spent during the year is geared to passing these tests...not to learning. Wonder how a 'sensei' manages to bring along students to the best of their ability...if his time is spent geared up for seminars/promoting?

#334701 - 08/11/07 08:47 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: harlan]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

"No Budoka Left Behind" ?

exactly. and an excellent comparrison.
I can just see mcdojo victims being shown something and one kid raising his hand asking if this material will be on the test.

#334702 - 08/12/07 01:50 AM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: Ed_Morris]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Charge as much as you can per student and hold seminars. Brilliant, sheer brilliance. (\end sarcasm) Thank you Ed, and Dr. Page, you just saved me the time of actually reading the book. Someday, if I do get out of the military and open my own school, I have all the key knowledge needed to make a profit.

#334703 - 08/20/07 02:13 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: JoelM]
ironsifu Offline

Loc: sacramento, CA
mr massie,

i read your website a lot, and i'm going to buy your book. i sent a copy of your website to my web guy, and he liked your site a lot too. besides "by my book", what advice could you give a uneducated traditional fart like, me, who doesnt teach kids?

#334704 - 08/20/07 03:56 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: ironsifu]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

...besides "by my book", what advice could you give a uneducated traditional fart like, me,...

"buy TWO books" ?

#334705 - 08/21/07 05:32 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: Ed_Morris]
ironsifu Offline

Loc: sacramento, CA
i think what makes a guy mcdojo, is, he doesnt have any knowledge to start with, so they add other "service" like after school birthday party, karate clowns, etc. also, they make a guy a black belt in 3 years or something. but theres a lot you can learn from the big schools. when i was starting, i only cared, make the best fighters in town. sometimes it went to my head and i lost students. i still want the best fighters in town, but now, i learned you have to pay the expert to bring them in, you pay the expert to do the talking, then i teach. i even learn how to teach when the students is a little soft. my new idea is, a good teacher is not just one who can teach you to kick some ass, but is can i teach a wimp to fight. the answer, yes i can, but i have to find a way to get his sissy self to stay in the school.

another book, i read takes about "black belt eyes". we advertise how it looks for us, and the fighters and teachers. but most guys on the street are scared to fight, that's why he wants to learn. we have to use the white belt eyes to get him in the door, then toughen him a lil bit, until he's ready to drop in the water (its a saying, when you make a sword, you have to get the matal red hot, almost white, almost about to soft, then you drop it in the water. this makes it hard). i dont think every big school is mcdojo. but of course, the ones with music forms, and 6 years old black belters, they are the ones with "mc black belt specials"!

some of the best fighters around, cung le, rorion gracy, toddy sitiwatjana (fairtex gym), shamrock brothers, they all have huge, nice building with hundred$ of students.

#334706 - 09/16/07 06:26 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: ironsifu]
gdragon Offline

Loc: CA
Wow. I have had this book for years and read it many times. It is now finally time for me to begin my own classes, moving toward opening my own school and I plan to use Massey's advice. I am surprised at all this hubbub over nothing. Don't buy the book if you don't want to. IMO it doesn't hurt to listen to someone who has already made some mistakes and has learned from them. Of course being the stubborn and independent person that I am, I have had to learn the hard way that it's not such a bad thing to not re-invent the wheel. Finally I am old enough to LISTEN to someone else, even though I still know everything. (That was meant toungue in cheek.) I like this book. I think the author has been treated unfairly here.

#334707 - 09/16/07 11:14 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: gdragon]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

I tried the $100 book to the LETTER, and it didn't work. I ended up with a HUGE dojo and NO profits. I lost three thousand dollars...but I might be able to get $6 back for the book on e-bay (discounted since I used a highlighter on some of the pages), ...softening my losses to $-2994.00

I ended up going back to 'tiny dojo, big quality'.

#334708 - 09/17/07 10:29 AM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: Ed_Morris]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Hmmm...more like 'Small Dojo, tax write-off scheme'. Think you're on to something Ed. We could all start home dojos...and use them as a 'business loss'.

#334709 - 09/18/07 12:39 AM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: harlan]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

A person would be hard pressed to find a dojo smaller than mine or less profitable.

#334710 - 09/18/07 05:57 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: Ed_Morris]
gdragon Offline

Loc: CA
Ed Morris, Since I am planing on using his method and you already have, would you be willing to elaborate on your experience with the information you used from SDBP? I am curious how you lost money with a large studio? I studied in a very traditional and small school. My instructor did not make big profits, hardly any, but he was also not a businessman. Like i have seen in the music business and in medicine, lots of really wonderful musicians and docs have great training and skills, but then have to learn to run a business if they wat to make any money. That is how i view the SDBP book, as a resource for me, since I am not a business person. On the other hand, my husband has a degree in business and has worked in finance for years. he is the one who bought the book. But neither of us has run a studio, so I would like to hear about your experience if you care to tell more.

Thanks, Steph

#334711 - 09/18/07 07:38 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: gdragon]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

have you tried a flower shop? I've heard running a florist franchise is fairly lucrative.

#334712 - 09/18/07 08:10 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: Ed_Morris]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Ed, you are funny sometimes...ok, many times.

Gdragon,

I have also read the manual. And you have to recognize when others are being facetious. What this really boils down to is a perspective on training and what training and instruction actually mean to the student and to the provider of that education. In essence, what is education? Is it, for instance, a camoflouged belt that you have added to the curriculum so some extra bucks can be made for an additional test where none was originally in "your" studies.

No one is suggesting that it is unfair or wrong to be paid for teaching. However, for some of us, it is distasteful to see what we have loved renderd into something that is less based on education but entails ways of elicting fees for the accoutrements of martial arts training: little ninja parties, patches, special training days, belts, testing fees for "large profits," etc. All these things highlighted in the glorious colors of "where's the money?"

In that case, the focus is less on the education and will always be less focused on what is being presented, but more on how you are paid for that presentation. This will give into rationalizing ways of acquiring more money for less education and perhaps even easing the requirements for that education because the harder it is, the less attractive you make it for a burgeoning population of swelling wallets to fill your coffers.

In the end, do the ends justify the means? Are you looking to teach, or make a profit? Not that you shouldn't or can't do both, but if the focus is on one, it is not on the other.

#334713 - 09/18/07 10:37 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: butterfly]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

all kidding aside, I agree that it's the focus which matters. how about a book called: "large dojo, high quality" ? isn't it much trickier to run a large class while maintaining a standard of quality that doesn't bow down to market trends?

not directed to you butterfly...

If you are looking for advice on how to balance your books and run a business, your local chamber of commerce can provide you with nearly free training and resources....not to mention they can hook you up with other local business owners, social meetups, networking and whatnot. don't take my word for it - take a visit and ask.
The other aspect is information particular to your demographic that could make or break you. another reason to look for local info instead of a 'one size fits all' model.

Do some work and actually learn about small business management in your area - don't look for bulletpoint answers in some 2nd rate $100 mcdojo 'get-rich-quick' playbook that reads like a late-night "I did it, and so can YOU!" infomercial.

{I think right about now, the author will probably make a reappearance in this thread. sorry author, it was a fun read with the ancedotal stories, but too generic to be useful...and what was with all the "!" at the end of every sentance? }

#334714 - 09/19/07 12:12 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: Ed_Morris]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

As a side note, I visited a McDojo (same one I brought to your attention Ed when you were out this way...remember the kiddie parties with the fake swords) in which I was offered a free class...so I showed up.

After going through everything there was a guy in the corner...a new BB in their system pistoning away at a very light bag. He sucked...miserably.

When I turned to the instructor with a somewaht tempered, but still quizzical look he said, and I quote:

"He just got his black belt and has been studying for a year. (Pause) I still have to make some money, it's a business." This was his excuse and rationalization for the quality of the student who he knew I thought was terrible for his rank.

This, by the way, is not suggesting this is true for any other for profit studio. I have seen very good schools that make money. Just a recognition that balancing profit and good instruction may come at an expense that the instructor has to measure. And that measurement is often done on a precipice over a chasm that would be very hard to extricate yourself from once you slid down those steep walls.

#334715 - 09/19/07 01:29 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: butterfly]
hkphooey Offline

Loc: California
Well, I am glad I did not reply with what I really thouhgt, b/c I had seen that he just got the book ~8/11. I wanted to see what he had to say. I missed the facetiousness and misread it as something less flattering. Sorry, Ed. I know these types of boards are filled with people who only write large and do little. I have little time for that. Thanks for the clarification. I don't know you guys, I have had negative experiences on this forum board and rarely post.

In response, I see the manual as a source of ideas. I still like the book, tho I have no intention of teaching toddlers, doing birthday parties, etc. I am just not interested in it and if I have to fake it, might as well not waste my time. I could spend my days faking enthusiasm at any J.O.B. Besides, I expect myself to teach with a quality that my instructor and his instructors will be proud of.

As far as some instructors watering things down to make more profit...so, what? Meaning, I see that in my day job, too. I see that in other areas. I think it happens more in m.a. b/c m.a. draws some kooks and it can bring out the worst in people. THAT is why the customs of behavior, courtesy, etc. are so important. But just b/c there are so many hucksters out there does not mean everyone is. I don't assume this author is, either. I don't know you guys and I don't know this author, it is just my opinion he has had an unfair bashing here. I don't like it and that is why I don't post. So why am I posting now? Great question. I am bowing out now.

Thanks for your replies, guys! I have found the discussion interesting.

#334716 - 09/19/07 03:55 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: hkphooey]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

HK,

Quote:

As far as some instructors watering things down to make more profit...so, what? Meaning, I see that in my day job, too.

And that's where I disagree with you. A job full of the crappiness in the cubicle is one thing (and though I may occassionally loaf, I do try hard at my crappy job)...education and the services rendered for that education are another thing entirely...especially for the student.

So you have a person learning from you and you tell him up front..."Hey, you are going to pay me for this instruction, but just to be frank with you, I am gonna "water this down" a bit so I can get paid...not give you my full attention or really try my hardest so that you'll learn. Please come back for your "Bud Light" experience at my dojo, but don't forget to bring your check book. I also accept Pay-pal."

Yep, that's all I need to know.

#334717 - 09/20/07 07:52 AM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: butterfly]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

ok, lets talk details if you like.

his foundations of thought can be summed up with these points:

- "Small studio size does not necessarily have to mean a small enrollment." "With efficient studio layout and class scheduling, you can easily accomidate 240+ students in a 1,500 sq ft studio"

- "I have to say that it is much better to have a studio with 150 students and a profit margin of 70% than a studio with 300 students and a profit margin of 30%."

- "You might even have to change the focus of what you offer..." "However if you want to be sucessful, such sacrifices are part and parcel of playing the game to win."

btw, he 'qualifies' this thought by referencing Stephen Oliver's material: http://martialarts-mastermind.com/

in a nutshell,
keep rent and expenses low by having a small studio, but stack the schedule in 45 minute blocks to accomidate as many students as you can get ('small' is redefined from 150 to 240+). The way to market is by offering what people want (as oppossed to the Art selling itself - which he explains does not work as efficiently and is unrealistic). He focuses on marketing to kids since children are 70% of the market he reports. The student price per month he uses is $99 in his examples.

picture it, in the example schedule he proposes: kids coming and going every 45 minutes from 3:30-7pm. then the adult classes are 1 block for an hour, 7:30-8:30.

does all that paint a familiar picture? now factor into that, having advanced students leading many of the children's classes and your (the owner's) time investment becomes minimized - thereby giving you more bang for your buck.

it's a cookie-cutter mcdojo model.

#334718 - 09/22/07 12:12 AM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: oldman]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

A person would be hard pressed to find a dojo smaller than mine or less profitable.

..or more relaxing and friendly.

#334719 - 10/05/07 04:14 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: Ed_Morris]
hkphooey Offline

Loc: California

"So you have a person learning from you and you tell him up front..."Hey, you are going to pay me for this instruction, but just to be frank with you, I am gonna "water this down" a bit so I can get paid...not give you my full attention or really try my hardest so that you'll learn. Please come back for your "Bud Light" experience at my dojo, but don't forget to bring your check book. I also accept Pay-pal."

Yep, that's all I need to know"

Butterfly,

I get what you mean. What I meant was, just because other people do that, I don't intend to and I don't think it affects what I do except that I need to educate my students about what sets me apart. The company I work for at my day job sets itself apart with great service and quality product. I take every opportunity I can to educate people why we do what we do and how that benefits them.

I did not mean to come off flippant, though that is how it reads to me when I re-read my post!

I find it so discouraging to read that so many people don't make any money teaching. I value what I teach, value my unique m.a. style and I truly value my time. I am not interested in teaching quickie classes. I have learned the hard way that if I don't value what I do, others won't either. I am interested in teaching students who want to learn quality m.a., but realize that the other kind help pay the bills. I guess that is why constant marketing is so important, from what I have read.

Dance classes, gymnastics, etc. make money. One of my students told me her parents paid ~$400 per month for her and her sister for gymnastics. YIKES! Meanwhile, they were paying me lots less.

Yeah, the problem is cost comparison when some guy down the street is charging very little.

Oh, well. I will do my best and see.

Thanks for all your points, Ed. I understand what you are saying, but whenever someone says something cannot be done, I do not accept it as MY truth, so I will continue to seek my own path and hope I can find my way to replacing my meager day job income with teaching!

Until next time ...

HK

Edited by hkphooey (10/05/07 04:19 PM)

#334720 - 10/06/07 12:33 AM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: hkphooey]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

I understand what you are saying, but whenever someone says something cannot be done, I do not accept it as MY truth, so I will continue to seek my own path and hope I can find my way to replacing my meager day job income with teaching!

I never said making profit in MA can't be done. I'm just questioning at what expense. Once you do get into a position to live off of your MA earnings and quit your day-job, then you are at the mercy of those earnings. You can make excellent justifications: "gotta put food on the table for my kids...gotta save for their college...gotta save for a house...retirement" etc. Any ONE of those would be a good justification to trim requirements here and there to tweek recruitment and retention numbers if need be.

it happens. it's a difficult position for anyone with a conscience. usually dealing with it seems to be taking the position: "well, I'm providing more service to more kids...so I'm doing better in the big picture."

thats an 'after the fact' justification view....since the only way to make more money from a dojo is increase the number of dues coming in, and/or increase the dues.

increacing the dues might prevent potential serious students who happen to be in lower income family brackets - thats not exactly doing well for greater good.

increasing the number of students means giving more of what more want. Thats when the comprimizes of standards, more often than not, seem to creep in.

another answer I've read on these boards and elsewhere are double-standard dojo's. basically the model is low commercial standards for the kids, providing whatever is marketable to get them signed up - that serves the base income. Meanwhile in the adult class or even in small private invitation only classes, providing something of a more serious/intense study.

interesting idea to keep the doors open while ensuring the top students leaving to open thier own dojo at least understand the finer points of the art you are transmitting.

can't advertise that double standard though. students who aren't invited, I imagine, would tend to cause a stink about it or buy/manuver their way in.

creative concept though: a mcdojo front for the masses in order to conceal and pay for the privite underground group's training. of course it could backfire if the private classes turn out to also be part of the mcdojo farse - changing the few who can afford it, extra for the 'secrets', etc.

#334721 - 10/06/07 01:34 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: Ed_Morris]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

The worst part is, you can make money if you are willing to work a day job AND spend 10 years building your dojo. I'd rather be the teacher that takes the money of those that can't keep the commitment, and build my dojo long term, than be the teacher that compromises standards to keep retention up.

#334722 - 10/06/07 01:51 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: hkphooey]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

I also wish you well HK, but Ed said it best in the above post. You put yourself at the mercy of money and not instruction when you are solely dependent on the dojo for your living expenses.

The analogy I put forth is hiring a piano teacher for your child. If it is instruction that you are seeking to give your child, you risk the child not liking all the elements of what is being shown...but a well rounded education sometimes encompasses that which is not readily and happily accepted by the individual, but is necessary for learning more later. Hell, we all would rather keep on doing stuff that's easier for us and not work on the things that are harder.

However, if the teacher then takes away the harder elements so that the student stays happily under the teacher's tutelage so the parent has no reason to discontinue the instruction, and his payments, how full is the education?

What if the piano teacher needs some extra money and then starts to sell piano notebook covers with the teacher's logo and name on it at a few dollars profit? Pencils and pens and keychains with the instructor's school's name? What if the money from these accessories to education start to eclipse the earnings from just the tuition. Where does the focus of a business go compared to the focus of a teacher? You do need the money after all.

The temptation to change curricula to make it easier so kids want to and will learn only the "neat stuff" will be present. Also the push for selling all the trappings, including a T-shirt that says "I Practice Pinao at so-and-so's" will be included in the marketing section of the business, not the instruction side. And that will be at an additional $25.00 a pop for the shirt. See where I am going with this.

If your time and resources are finite, where do you invest these for a better profit margin? In teaching more? Or in contacting more people to make more things to sell to those in your educational care?

Where's the balance and how do you justify the balance? That's what you have to consider when making your school a business that doesn't just sell instruction but makes its money by selling stuff associated with instruction and rationalizing all of it by saying you are giving more options and benefits to those coming to your place. But is it looking the reason why the students came there in the first place directly in the eye?

I do wish you luck.

#334723 - 01/09/08 02:40 AM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: Kintama]
LuTheWanderer Offline
Stranger

I have purchased The Manual.
Firstly, I used the ebook option (which I was charged full price for) & it was transferred to me almost immediately. I will vouch for there being a Real book, & if you pay the money you actually do get it for Real. That being said...
I was greatly dissapointed with the purchase. There were a few different offers being made, different amounts, with different 'Final Offer' due dates to try & force a speedy decision, & then when the guy was sent a copy/paste of his own emails showing the contradictions, he immediately sent out an email resetting the clock (so to speak). I've been through the text word for word, & there are a lot of promises made between glib comments & attempts at sounding like a sympathetic big brother who's here to help.
IF a person hasn't done Any homework whatsoever, that is, hasn't considered even the most basic research into what it means to run a small business (NOT the Fortune 500 that The Manual proposes) then he's already ahead. The Manual is just a compilation of basic buisiness start-up info that I have already seen spread across hundreds of websites across the internet, the Small Buisiness Association, SCORE, etc. The major dissapointment comes from the fantastic cost of the book, & there are no cut-in-stone answers or details that one might expect - like the actual Details to be included in a business plan, sources for information, etc. Instead, within The Manual that had promised answers to these & other questions, there are instead offers for Other purchases that will provide answers to these questions. Now after the first shoe hit the floor, what makes me think the other isn't going to follow in suit? And an endless line of upsells that continue to not come through with the goods.
I wasn't looking for much, just a few solid pieces of statistical information, some examples of templates that might have been used successfully before. The dissapointment is that he includes all of the common sense & easily available information & manages to skirt Just around the edges of what I was Paying for. Serious dissapointment. I really can't advise this as a sensible purchase for anyone.

#334724 - 11/05/08 11:41 AM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: LuTheWanderer]
Greenknight83 Offline

Alot has been said about Michael Massie, and his Small Dojo, Big Profit book. More than I have time too read through.

One of the people who has been using his program has gotten 100 students in 120 days. True the guy did change the material to fit him. I know of other people who are getting results from his materials.

#334725 - 12/08/08 03:15 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: Greenknight83]
jeffbarnes Offline
Banned

Loc: IN
I am the guy who was able to get the 100 students in 120 days. If you have any questions on the validity of the book, I can tell you what worked for me and what didn't.

I will say that you can make money teaching the martial arts if you follow his model without sacrificing your art, or credentials.

Jeff

#334726 - 12/08/08 04:39 PM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: jeffbarnes]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Any relation to Dawn?

#334727 - 12/11/08 10:06 AM Re: Small Dojo, Big Profits Manual [Re: oldman]
jeffbarnes Offline
Banned

Loc: IN
nope just another martial artist with the same name.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga